Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living and sleeping in a Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might a Cybertruck work as a full time live in vehicle? Less space than a live in van but one could sleep on a mattress on the the back seats and the use the vault for storage. Do we know how wide the back seats interior is? I’m 5’10”.

Long term I plan to build a large stainless steel DIY truck camper to live indefinitely on the back. In the short term giving up my rental room and sleeping in the cybertruck might be a good option for a year or two to help pay the financing for it.

I could shower at a gym and use a toilet or get water 24 hours at my friend’s workshop near where I could park for free. Cars and vans occasionally get broken into but I would be safer from that than other vehicles with sentry mode and the armoured steel and glass.

If you need to consider loving in it to afford it, delay a few years.
There are a lot of people living out of their vehicles now. The width is 79.8 inches - if the width of the back seat is say 72 inches and is truly a bench seat he could lie down in the back. He will get climate control in the back seat...I don’t know if he would get that in the bed with a camper shell. I suppose if he built one himself he could use the 110v outlet to power built-in a/c or a heater. I would like to see that project when it’s done.

If you need to consider loving in it to afford it, delay a few years.

I used to think this, too, until I worked in Los Angeles for 5 years. My wife and I both have high-paying jobs and rent was massive and buying a house was out of the question. There are tons of good jobs out here, but housing prices are so insane that living in your car doesn’t seem so insane...especially if you’re young and single and want to save up. I wouldn’t do it for long, though...

Reactions: JakeTrilla
Might a Cybertruck work as a full time live in vehicle? Less space than a live in van but one could sleep on a mattress on the the back seats and the use the vault for storage. Do we know how wide the back seats interior is? I’m 5’10”.

Long term I plan to build a large stainless steel DIY truck camper to live indefinitely on the back. In the short term giving up my rental room and sleeping in the cybertruck might be a good option for a year or two to help pay the financing for it.

I could shower at a gym and use a toilet or get water 24 hours at my friend’s workshop near where I could park for free. Cars and vans occasionally get broken into but I would be safer from that than other vehicles with sentry mode and the armoured steel and glass.

Check out Kimbo living. He is making an rv to fit the CT. Already makes truck campers that fit the style of the CT

Have you see the shape of the cybertruck? Good luck building anything that will fit and be functional.
Where will you weld/bolt the frame tie downs? These have to go on the frame. How will the turnbuckles go around the angled bedsides?
The cabover won't fit on the roof line and the bed floor is to short for anything livable.
The CG will be awful. Conventional trucks have the powertrain up front and you can pretty much put the arrow in the middle on the rear axle. With a 50/50 bias this is impossible once you figure out that you will need at least 24 inches of rear overhang for the plumbing and shower etc. Don't forget all TC's are basement designs and this will push the floor you walk on up by at least 12-14 inches. Maybe more.
The best you might come up with is a vertical stainless box. Who would want to live in that?
Don't get me wrong I love the idea and I just bought a new AF 990 TC as off the grid truck camping is awesome. But the vehicle you are choosing is probably the worst for the task. My "smallish" 990 weighs 5300 lb with water on board.
If Tesla wants to build a truck that could haul a TC it would not be that hard. Flat conventional bed/bedsides and moving the battery forward somehow would do it. And a roofline that can accept any TC including a homebuilt. You want 3-4 inches clearance max with the cabover or you will be dragging a lot of air. And dual rear wheels make the rig stable at all speeds. Tesla would need to add some kind of "frame" to bolt or weld the frame tie downs. The load on these points can be considerable under normal use and extreme in an accident. You don't want the TC and truck parting ways.
The Ford branded campers from a few years ago are built completely of aluminium. Even the cupboards. The company making them is no more but they were really neat rigs. Light and functional. I think they weighed out at about 3800 lbs dry.
I currently use 2x100 watt panels to keep my batteries charged and have a built in Onan genset that runs on propane. The sun does not always shine or shine for long in the fall.
I really enjoy home-built TC designs so please post pics of your build. I am just pointing out the obvious problems not trying to discourage you from such a project. It will be costly and time consuming though. I would probably pick a lighter material myself as I am comfortable welding aluminium. Stainless not so much as I always have problems preheating and cracking. Need more practice I guess.

Have you see the shape of the cybertruck? Good luck building anything that will fit and be functional.
Where will you weld/bolt the frame tie downs? These have to go on the frame. How will the turnbuckles go around the angled bedsides?
The cabover won't fit on the roof line and the bed floor is to short for anything livable.
The CG will be awful. Conventional trucks have the powertrain up front and you can pretty much put the arrow in the middle on the rear axle. With a 50/50 bias this is impossible once you figure out that you will need at least 24 inches of rear overhang for the plumbing and shower etc. Don't forget all TC's are basement designs and this will push the floor you walk on up by at least 12-14 inches. Maybe more.
The best you might come up with is a vertical stainless box. Who would want to live in that?
Don't get me wrong I love the idea and I just bought a new AF 990 TC as off the grid truck camping is awesome. But the vehicle you are choosing is probably the worst for the task. My "smallish" 990 weighs 5300 lb with water on board.
If Tesla wants to build a truck that could haul a TC it would not be that hard. Flat conventional bed/bedsides and moving the battery forward somehow would do it. And a roofline that can accept any TC including a homebuilt. You want 3-4 inches clearance max with the cabover or you will be dragging a lot of air. And dual rear wheels make the rig stable at all speeds. Tesla would need to add some kind of "frame" to bolt or weld the frame tie downs. The load on these points can be considerable under normal use and extreme in an accident. You don't want the TC and truck parting ways.
The Ford branded campers from a few years ago are built completely of aluminium. Even the cupboards. The company making them is no more but they were really neat rigs. Light and functional. I think they weighed out at about 3800 lbs dry.
I currently use 2x100 watt panels to keep my batteries charged and have a built in Onan genset that runs on propane. The sun does not always shine or shine for long in the fall.
I really enjoy home-built TC designs so please post pics of your build. I am just pointing out the obvious problems not trying to discourage you from such a project. It will be costly and time consuming though. I would probably pick a lighter material myself as I am comfortable welding aluminium. Stainless not so much as I always have problems preheating and cracking. Need more practice I guess.

So, you'd say your a gallas half full type of guy?

:/

Thank goodness Elon doesn't think like you do. Otherwise we'd have Chevy bolts for EVs

Check out the link I posted. Not my company or home build. He currently builds small truck campers, 1100lbs fully loaded. Is currently designing one for the CT. I'll let him figure out what is and isn't possible, but there's an entire line of ultra lite TC's out there for off grid camping, climbing, etc. Definitely not your large national park sitter, and more for boondocking way out there.

Last edited:
Someone invested in Northwood Manufacturing I guess. Every point he makes is easily countered with a little imagination. Can’t mount a camper on slanted bed sides? Sure you can - the Cybertruck has a lip for the tonneau cover track and t-slots in the bed walls for mounting at any point. Can’t make it a cab over? Sure you can - it’s just not going to look like what you are used to. Need to bolt to the frame? Remember, the body (exoskeleton) is the frame. The Cybertruck is the worst truck for the task? Your Arctic Fox weighs 5300 pounds? Well, obviously you’re going to need a camper with a lighter design and not one meant for a superduty (the Cybertruck compares to an F150 not a superduty), but with a 3500 pay load I’m sure someone will come up with some viable designs. Your AF 990 has a dry weight of 3010 lbs and comes with a lot of weight-costly design elements. I’m sure there are plenty of imaginative people who will come up with fantastic lightweight camper designs that will work great on the Cybertruck.

Last edited:
Someone invested in Northwood Manufacturing I guess. Every point he makes is easily countered with a little imagination. Can’t mount a camper on slanted bed sides? Sure you can - the Cybertruck has a lip for the tonneau cover track and t-slots in the bed walls for mounting at any point. Can’t make it a cab over? Sure you can - it’s just not going to look like what you are used to. Need to bolt to the frame? Remember, the body (exoskeleton) is the frame. The Cybertruck is the worst truck for the task? Your Arctic Fox weighs 5300 pounds? Well, obviously you’re going to need a camper with a lighter design and not one meant for a superduty (the Cybertruck compares to an F150 not a superduty), but with a 3500 pay load I’m sure someone will come up with some viable designs. Your AF 990 has a dry weight of 3010 lbs and comes with a lot of weight-costly design elements. I’m sure there are plenty of imaginative people who will come up with fantastic lightweight camper designs that will work great on the Cybertruck.

I've had a few campers. And I use a wall tent when we are really out there (such as elk hunting this January). My 990 weighs 4700 pounds empty. TC makers are notorious for publishing weights of campers without anything in them, such as stove tops, propane etc.
You want to bolt tie downs to sheet steel? Good luck with that.
Now if you are sleeping in a small metal box it might work. I am married so the above camper you mentioned is out but it's a nice little TC meant for a specific demographic. But all TC's are and all have compromises.
A bed mounted tent would work on the cybertruck. I prefer a camper shell but tents are very popular. It all depends on what you are doing with it. When I'm in South Dakota I like a shower after a day of biking in the back country. And a big comfy bed. I've done the minimalist thing for decades and still do when I have to.
The cyber truck is going to weigh what a Super Duty weighs. I feel no need to compare it to a scrawny F150. If a model x weighs more than an F150 how can this new truck weigh less when is will be larger in all respects? Ain't gonna happen.
It will be north of 7000 lbs.

I don't see a bed camper working with the Ct bed design. Maybe a custom made one it would be alot smaller though.
Lance-650-Ford-truck-passenger-side.jpg

I don't see a bed camper working with the Ct bed design. Maybe a custom made one it would be alot smaller though.
Lance-650-Ford-truck-passenger-side.jpg

There is no camper that is more expensive per square foot than a TC. This has everything to do with how they are built and the very limited numbers they sell. I really doubt any of the big makers would even entertain building a TC to fit such a small niche.
Maybe some small builder could produce a few minimalist campers but unless you can fit a standard camper on the CT it just isn't going to happen.

There is no camper that is more expensive per square foot than a TC. This has everything to do with how they are built and the very limited numbers they sell. I really doubt any of the big makers would even entertain building a TC to fit such a small niche.
Maybe some small builder could produce a few minimalist campers but unless you can fit a standard camper on the CT it just isn't going to happen.

That's simply all we are talking about. Small customs TC makers building one for the CT. I don't in a million years expect Lance or any of the big guys to make a TC for the CT.

I've had a few campers. And I use a wall tent when we are really out there (such as elk hunting this January). My 990 weighs 4700 pounds empty. TC makers are notorious for publishing weights of campers without anything in them, such as stove tops, propane etc.
You want to bolt tie downs to sheet steel? Good luck with that.
Now if you are sleeping in a small metal box it might work. I am married so the above camper you mentioned is out but it's a nice little TC meant for a specific demographic. But all TC's are and all have compromises.
A bed mounted tent would work on the cybertruck. I prefer a camper shell but tents are very popular. It all depends on what you are doing with it. When I'm in South Dakota I like a shower after a day of biking in the back country. And a big comfy bed. I've done the minimalist thing for decades and still do when I have to.
The cyber truck is going to weigh what a Super Duty weighs. I feel no need to compare it to a scrawny F150. If a model x weighs more than an F150 how can this new truck weigh less when is will be larger in all respects? Ain't gonna happen.
It will be north of 7000 lbs.

You should let Elon know his weights are wrong. The CT has already been published to weigh the same as an F150.