Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with 120V - 8000 miles and counting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
120 would have worked for us when we just had my 3 and I was commuting 40 miles round trip a day (and would charge 10-12 hours a night). Since we now have a 3 and an S, and my wife drives more than I do, there's no way we'd be able to sustain this without regular trips to the supercharger. If you can keep your car on a 120v at almost all times when not using it, it can work. If you have a car that sits in a parking garage for 8-10hrs a day with no charging option, it may be more challenging depending on miles driven daily.

I'd like to relay my experience of living with only a 120V charging option at home. I have a LR RWD built June 2019.
I bought my car on the 29th of June and started using it full time late July. In 4 months, I've driven more than 8000 miles, so I would consider my self an average driver - miles per month wise.

Number of times I've faced range anxiety: 1
Number of times I've went to a supercharger to top up when near home: 1
Longest road trip: 1300 miles round trip

Background on me: I drive about 35 miles one way to work about 12-13 times a month for work. I park at work with sentry mode on for 12 hours before I come back home. I used to, but no longer use sentry mode in my parking garage (just to avoid BS cars driving past activations that fill up the drive). My LR RWD averages about 4.6 miles per hour charge rate with sentry mode off on my 120V plug.

Tips for success from my experience:
1) Get the LR if you can afford it.

2) Always plug your car in if you're home. I don't sometimes for a day or two when I'm full and not anticipating any trips. I do this less and less since it takes less than a minute to plug in.

3) Don't forget your charging cord behind at your friends/family homes when travelling. I left mine behind at my parents' who live 2 hours away and that is the only time I had range anxiety. That's also the only time I have went to the supercharger to top up because I couldn't charge at home.

4) Know your non-supercharger plugshare options - these will typically be closer to you than the supercharger. I have one at my public library and I've went and hung out at the library to charge once. You can get a 100 miles back in a 3-4 hour window. This is helpful when you're down to less than a hundred miles and anticipate heavy driving over the next week without lots of time at home without charging options.

5) Don't use gas car just because you're having range anxiety. This defeats the purpose of a Tesla.

6) Don't be ashamed to ask your friends or family to allow you to plug in when visiting overnight. If you're staying overnight or most of the day, they probably know you well enough to not care. That extra 50-60 miles of charge will maybe get you home without having to supercharge.

7) Carry your J1772 adapter in the car, never know when you'll run into a charge you can use. I went for a massage and found that parking lot had a free charger. The massage was even more worth it LOL.

8) If you have the option, get the 240 V charger installed. You will get that money back in charging efficiency over maybe about 50,000-100,000 miles of home charging.

9) Since I have not done a true experiment, this is purely anecdotal. Your battery might last longer. I still have full 325 miles with zero degradation at about 5 months and 8000+ miles. To me this doesn't make sense, but I don't know many people with zero degradation with my amount of charge cycles.

10) Don't be rough with your charger cable. You will be using it everyday, unlike faster home chargers. Make it last. I always neatly fold it up or lay it on the ground in such a way to avoid tripping. Breaking one of these will cost as much as having had a faster home charging option.

Share your tips below!
Do you use one of the 120 V plug of the public garage you use at night or does the plug is connected to your own meter?

If you use your own meter, do you have a Time of Use discount plan for night usage?

Did you check if there was not another 120 V plug connected to another phase, thus you could get 240 V.

Did you check if the 120 V plug has a 'T' on one of the pole allowing 20 A max (16 A Nominal)?

To the OP -

Can you share with us your driving habits (aggressive, conservative, etc), how far you go down to before charging, etc? We are trying to figure out what we need to do to get our range back in multiple other threads so we’re trying to extract information from those they don’t have any range loss. Thank you!
To the OP -

Can you share with us your driving habits (aggressive, conservative, etc), how far you go down to before charging, etc? We are trying to figure out what we need to do to get our range back in multiple other threads so we’re trying to extract information from those they don’t have any range loss. Thank you!

My avg Wh/mile is around 234 summer time, will go up in winter. I keep my car plugged in but because of slow charging avg state of charge is probably around 70%. I charge to 90% when home. Have charged to 100% 3 times for travel. I have been down below 10 percent twice during road trips.

Our apartment’s gated garage has reserved EV spots for a price per month so not sure about charging cost. Costs me 59 bucks a month flat. Doubt I use that much electricity though. It’s on 13c/kWh in my town.

Do you use one of the 120 V plug of the public garage you use at night or does the plug is connected to your own meter?

If you use your own meter, do you have a Time of Use discount plan for night usage?

Did you check if there was not another 120 V plug connected to another phase, thus you could get 240 V.

Did you check if the 120 V plug has a 'T' on one of the pole allowing 20 A max (16 A Nominal)?
I charge at 12A. There’s another outlet that I assume is a different phase because it’s meant for the EV spot next to mine (currently unreserved). I wonder if I can do 240

I charge at 12A. There’s another outlet that I assume is a different phase because it’s meant for the EV spot next to mine (currently unreserved). I wonder if I can do 240

Hah, yes! There is a good chance that receptacle is on a different phase. Normally I would
Never recommend this, but in this use case it may be perfect. Look into the “Quick 220”

Check and see if you have a 20A breaker and if so get the 5-20 adapter for an extra mph of charge! (You’ll need to swap the outlet for a 5-20 if it isn’t already or use an adapter).

Excellent callout! In commercial installs 15a circuits are basically not allowed. So there is a fantastic chance it is a 20a circuit.

If the receptacle is only 15a but you can 100% verify it is a dedicated 20a circuit I might be very tempted to use a third party adapter (available on Amazon) to let you use the 5-20 Tesla adapter with it and get 16a of charge rate. (I can *not* recommend this since it is not code or UL compliant)

I've had my M3LR for about a year and also rely on 120V at home. Detached garage with only 120V available means that I would need to trench from the houre to get 240V - quotes were pretty expensive, so I decided to see what 120V would be like. I commute approx 20 miles RT most days. The garage where I park at work as several chargepoint stations. In warmer weather (spring/summer/fall in Boston), I generally don't bother plugging in at home and connect to chargepoint for a full work day every 1 - 2 weeks (depending on driving habits) and charge to 80 - 90%. In winter, I plug in at home most nights and have Stats start charging about an hour before I leave for work. This pre-heats the car and battery, reducing the cold weather range losses, whcih can be significant, especially if using heat. If I'm plannig a weekend trip to NH, I charge up to 90% at Chargepoint on Friday and plug in at the cabin when I arrive. If necessary (and I do it about 50% of the time), I stop at a supercharger on the way home to add ~100 miles of range while I address bio needs (15 - 20 miutes). Given my driving habits and availability of chargepoint at work, I don't have a current need to spring for 240V charging at home.

Reactions: SoManyM3s and KenC
I’ve had my M3 stand range for about 5 months and have been using a 120 charger. However, I have a free 240 charger at work so I typically just charge at work. My commute is about 20 miles each way so from my perspective, the 120 is good enough. I’ve taken the car on a few out of town trips and it’s smart enough to map out where you’ll supercharge etc.

I'm jealous of people who have 120v as an option. My condo doesn't have any plugs remotely close to my stall in the parking garage. I've gone about 15,000kms just using free local level 2 charging and the occasional supercharger top up every two weeks or so. I'm lucky that there are free L2 chargers all over my city, so I've spent pretty much no money on energy for my car in the 6 months I've had it. My city has chargers at my gym, most grocery stores, all the public parking garages downtown. There are even a few chargers about 3 blocks from my work, so sometimes I plug in there if I'm really low and run back on my lunch break to get my car. The plus side is I managed to get the strata board to install some paid level 2 chargers, but at $0.25/kWh I'll probably stick with my frugal Tesla charging habits for the most part. A quarter per kWh is pretty steep in a province where electricity is 8-15 cents per kWh, so I'll save that as a luxury for when I'm really lazy.

Reactions: KenC
Thanks for the report! I generally advise everyone I talk to, both non- and current Tesla owners, to avoid 120V if at all possible, but it is great to know it's worked out for you.

Wanted to discuss this:
9) Since I have not done a true experiment, this is purely anecdotal. Your battery might last longer. I still have full 325 miles with zero degradation at about 5 months and 8000+ miles. To me this doesn't make sense, but I don't know many people with zero degradation with my amount of charge cycles.

I did just want to point out that running your cooling pump for so long for charging might not be fantastic. Many folks have claimed there is no benefit to charging slower since even 48a at 240v is hilariously slow compared to a supercharger. No risk to the battery.
The batteries on these cars are pretty resilient, and a standard NEMA 14-50 will top out at 32A using the Mobile Connector Gen 2, which is a far cry from the rate a SuperCharger will dump electricity into the pack at (32A @ 240V is a "scant" 7.7kW). This will not affect your battery pack in any significant way for the expected life of the vehicle, even if you keep the car much longer than the average person.

OTOH, charging on 120V not only are you running your cooling pump for much longer, but all of the electronics are also on all the time while charging -- normally, when not charging and parked at home, the car will enter a "deep sleep," vs being active and "on-line." This is something to consider, the additional wear and tear on the cooling system and the electronics being on-line for what is in effect 5X+ the time it would be on if charging on a 240V@32A. It is likely that the cars are resilient enough for even this not to be an issue for the normally expected life of the vehicle, however it is something to consider.

In the end, I view 120V charging as an emergency-only solution. Just as with anything, you can take edge cases and make them work for yourself very well, as you've done, but I don't consider it a proper solution for someone who has a Tesla. Given that some of us either have or will have more than one Tesla and/or other EV, it's a no brainer to put in a 14-50.

Sometimes 120V is the only option, and it sounds like that was the case for you, so kudos for making it work!

P.S. A cool trick is setting the charge amps lower than the max. There is no reason to do this to "baby" the battery at either 32A or 48A (max the Model 3's built-in charger can do, when connected to a properly installed HPWC), except in one particular case -- if it's extremely cold, like really really cold, let's say 25F inside your closed garage, you can lower the amperage to have the car charge for longer to stay warm. So like set it to 22A, or 16A, etc., so that overnight, when the temps are at their lowest, it's charging constantly, then you drive off immediately (set the charge to % higher than what it will get to so you literally unplug while it's still charging and drive off).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
On the idea that slower charging is better for the battery.
Stop and think about the duration of charge forget the voltage/amperage for a minute.
A UMC with 14-50 plug can charge an empty SR 3 in what 6-7hours? Do you consider that fast charging?
Now is 2days to charge one on a standard wall outlet a healthy level of slow or absurdly slow?

Keeping in mind your phone with no thermal management is happy to charge in an hour and while it certainly degrades much much faster than a car is generally subject to much deeper discharge, charged full more often, gets hotter.
It is not the same thing, but it is not completely different either. I am certain there are different voltage limits and all sorts of stuff but I think a little comparison still works.

I agree with you all. 240V is definitely the best choice for home charging. 120V should be only used when no other choice is available. To clarify some points though: my car does enter sleep mode on 120V charging. I often have to wait a 10-15 seconds for it to wake up when attempting to check my charge status after a few hours of plugged. As far as the cooling system, I don’t even thinks it’s necessary with trickle charging at 120V, I don’t even hear it come on most of the times.

Reactions: Yankees and PACEMD
I used 12A and then 16A 110v UMC for first 2 years in my 235 mi range S70D, here in Texas. Drive very moderate amounts, as I'm semi-retired. I've charged at wall outlets at hotels, and my extended families' garages. Never been in the snow, but I'm well acquainted with snow hazards. Recommendation:

About 1.5-2" from the tip, put some reflective tape. It will be visible above most snow, if you get into that situation. About 3-5" from the charging handle, add another reflective tape. Likely, that spot will be on the ground and a) you don't want neighbors or family members either tripping on it or b) stepping on it. If anyone uses a wheel-chair - sorry, go around. It does not hurt to have a collapsing traffic cone to put on the cable, for those rainy nights, where somebody is running into the hotel, and happens to drop the baby, or ming vase that they were carrying.

Always ask, at every hotel, if they can extend an extension cord or something so you can charge. 2+ times I've been offered this. Once, I was actually told to just park in the handicapped spot. I did it, since I was arriving 12:30AM, and there just wasn't a chance of any handicapped guests arriving before noon the next day.The next day, I was driving my way out of a Supercharger 'desert'. If I hadn't gotten that charge, I would have arrived with negative 5 miles on the battery.

July 2019 P3D- at 4,685 miles in Montana, using almost exclusively 120v charging. But it's not really winter yet, is it? So far down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit no real worries. We will see what happens at -25. For that, I have little confidence, but.......we will see. For those 4,685 miles, my average efficiency has been 309 Wh/mi. Meaning I'm not trying very hard to conserve energy. A quarter of that driving has been below freezing. Most of that has also been on an interstate at 85 mph. A very inefficient speed. Correction, 80 mph, the speed limit. I would never speed, of course. I am not a lead foot but I also don't mind punching it at times. All in all, I'm not being careful with my driving efficiency. Highway driving at 85 (80) mph and 10 degrees F will bump the Wh/mi to the 400+ range.

Here in Billings, we have a supercharger that I have yet to use. We use a 15 amp 120v circuit in the connected garage at home because this is a rental house. But I don't drive every day. I work 10-13 days a month, 150 miles away. I stay out of town 3+ days at a time. At work, I charge also with a 15 amp 120 v circuit in the apartment's open carport or a 20 amp 110 v plug in an uncovered space at the hospital. At home, so far, down to 0 degrees, the 15 amp charging inside the garage is unaffected by the temperature. Meaning I get 4-5 mph consistently. The garage is generally 40+ degrees. At work, left outside, the usual 4-5 mph at 15 amp or the 6 mph at 20 amp slows somewhat but stays well above half the warmer charging. Last week with temps from a high of 25 and low of 0 it took 3 days to charge 250 miles where this usually takes 2.5 days or so. If I generally get 100+ miles a day or so I was instead getting 70-80+ miles, depending on wind, average temperatures, snow when outside, and blah blah blah. Weather in Montana changes quickly and constantly. The supercharger in the town where I work is under construction but I have little confidence it will be completed before true winter. Once completed all is well. By the way, I'm also from North Carolina. It can get rather cold in Charlotte as well, just not quite as extreme as Montana. And not the same snow, although the snow is not bad in southeastern Montana, too dry. It's not like upstate New York.

As far as long term effects of rapid versus slow charging we have no definitive evidence of one being superior. Speculation is that slow might be better and very rapid worse. That's all it is, speculation. My car also sleeps quietly while charging and only neutralizes/stops actively charging when I ask it to warm the vehicle. Otherwise, it keeps right on charging, at least so far down to the 0 degrees in my ongoing trails. My P3D- stated range, out of the box, was 310 miles, at 5k miles my 100% charge reports 304 to 312 miles, up and down, up and down. There are a lot of tricks about that number. Meaning it ain't real. That reported number depends as much on the specifics of how I charge and when I read the number as any real battery issue. Meaning, for example, if I charge to some percentage, when it reaches that percentage it will most often be at a proper number as expected. If it sits at that charge while plugged in, the number will bounce around as it discharges and recharges to the set level. Still thinking it's charged to the specified percentage. So it reaches 310 at 100% charge, then discharges to where it reads 306, but not enough to make it start charging again to top it off, it still reports 100% charge. It gets confused. Setting battery percentage for charge is also not a precise thing. There are other circumstances where the range at percentage gets confused but bounces back the next charge. My Statsapp reported battery health shows an upsloping line. But that ain't definitive truth either, just another glimpse of reality.

Last edited:
The long high speed drive is warming the pack so the wall current doesn't have to.
I have a 7 mile each way commute near Green Bay and the car is outside, work is very windswept.
I have already seen the car have to warm the pack before charging. Short drive means the pack doesn't warm much. Been down to 5f here sofar.

True, and I'm almost always either driving with a somewhat or warmed battery or plugged in at 110/120 v. Meaning I'm never letting the battery sit cold and not plugged in very long. So there's that......if I started with a cold battery the charge rate would likely be lower to nothing until the battery warms.

Last edited:
July 2019 P3D- at 4,685 miles in Montana, using almost exclusively 120v charging. But it's not really winter yet, is it? So far down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit no real worries. We will see what happens at -25. For that, I have little confidence, but.......we will see. For those 4,685 miles, my average efficiency has been 309 Wh/mi. Meaning I'm not trying very hard to conserve energy. A quarter of that driving has been below freezing. Most of that has also been on an interstate at 85 mph. A very inefficient speed. Correction, 80 mph, the speed limit. I would never speed, of course. I am not a lead foot but I also don't mind punching it at times. All in all, I'm not being careful with my driving efficiency. Highway driving at 85 (80) mph and 10 degrees F will bump the Wh/mi to the 400+ range.

Here in Billings, we have a supercharger that I have yet to use. We use a 15 amp 120v circuit in the connected garage at home because this is a rental house. But I don't drive every day. I work 10-13 days a month, 150 miles away. I stay out of town 3+ days at a time. At work, I charge also with a 15 amp 120 v circuit in the apartment's open carport or a 20 amp 110 v plug in an uncovered space at the hospital. At home, so far, down to 0 degrees, the 15 amp charging inside the garage is unaffected by the temperature. Meaning I get 4-5 mph consistently. The garage is generally 40+ degrees. At work, left outside, the usual 4-5 mph at 15 amp or the 6 mph at 20 amp slows somewhat but stays well above half the warmer charging. Last week with temps from a high of 25 and low of 0 it took 3 days to charge 250 miles where this usually takes 2.5 days or so. If I generally get 100+ miles a day or so I was instead getting 70-80+ miles, depending on wind, average temperatures, snow when outside, and blah blah blah. Weather in Montana changes quickly and constantly. The supercharger in the town where I work is under construction but I have little confidence it will be completed before true winter. Once completed all is well. By the way, I'm also from North Carolina. It can get rather cold in Charlotte as well, just not quite as extreme as Montana. And not the same snow, although the snow is not bad in southeastern Montana, too dry. It's not like upstate New York.

As far as long term effects of rapid versus slow charging we have no definitive evidence of one being superior. Speculation is that slow might be better and very rapid worse. That's all it is, speculation. My car also sleeps quietly while charging and only neutralizes/stops actively charging when I ask it to warm the vehicle. Otherwise, it keeps right on charging, at least so far down to the 0 degrees in my ongoing trails. My P3D- stated range, out of the box, was 310 miles, at 5k miles my 100% charge reports 304 to 312 miles, up and down, up and down. There are a lot of tricks about that number. Meaning it ain't real. That reported number depends as much on the specifics of how I charge and when I read the number as any real battery issue. Meaning, for example, if I charge to some percentage, when it reaches that percentage it will most often be at a proper number as expected. If it sits at that charge while plugged in, the number will bounce around as it discharges and recharges to the set level. Still thinking it's charged to the specified percentage. So it reaches 310 at 100% charge, then discharges to where it reads 306, but not enough to make it start charging again to top it off, it still reports 100% charge. It gets confused. Setting battery percentage for charge is also not a precise thing. There are other circumstances where the range at percentage gets confused but bounces back the next charge. My Statsapp reported battery health shows an upsloping line. But that ain't definitive truth either, just another glimpse of reality.

thanks for cold weather insight. almost every time I put my car into charge is after a high speed commute so I’m usually starting with a warm battery. Plus it’s NC, it doesn’t get that cold so I doubt it’ll affect my charging speed substantially. On the other hand, even if it halved it, I’d probably still be okay.

Thanks for your report re: 120V charging: I would hope that someone who wants a Tesla, but doesn’t have their own 240V charger, would go ahead and buy it based on your report. There ARE chargers out there and people move.

I have 14K on mine M3 ER in 8 months. I do have a 240V charger, but only 30 Amps. I charge every 2nd or 3rd night (at 6 kW).

This is one heck of a car! If you want one, don’t let your charging needs stop you.

To be clear I'm not advocating using a 120v circuit, especially in cold climates, just relating my experience based on circumstance. I would wire in a 240v circuit myself tomorrow if this wasn't a rental or even with a rental if the box had an open space. As is I would have to monkey with the other wiring. I'm way too lazy for that as long as slow charging works. What might work for others would depend on how, how far, how often, when, and where you drive. Along with local supplementary charging options.

Reactions: Yankees