Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with a Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same topic; more words: http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog...why-youll-really-enjoy-owning-an-electric-car

Ten Reasons Why You’ll Really Enjoy Owning an Electric Car
Annual service... “One, two, er, three, four. OK, sir, they’re all still attached and they all have plenty of tread left. Be on your way then.”

Ummm...it was more like "tread? what tread?" for me. I think that all of that torque that he so liked at the beginning isn't so great on the tires. Nothing else at the service, though (except a firmware update and a washer fluid refill).

rear tires gone again

Ummm...it was more like "tread? what tread?" for me.

10,300 miles.
One rear pair of Advan Neovas gone.
One rear pair of Pirelli snow tires gone.
New set of rear snows on now.
Will try to make them last until spring, and then
get new Neovas.
Front tires hold up fine. Rears go in 5,000 miles.
I think it's from going up my six-mile hill with 50 turns and 1800 foot rise.
Ah, Colorado.

Well, that's difficult for me to judge; they seem to grip on acceleration the same, i.e. all ok unless the surface is broken up. The car still understeers so they exceed the grip offered up front. I think they may be better in the wet as the car has less of the hop-skip in the wet over metal road transitions at bridges. I don't remember detecting much change when I installed them. But, I don't think it's a strong suite of mine.

We'd have to put them side-by-side on a track to see the difference I think. In day-to-day driving they appear to do the same as the factory ones. I certainly wouldn't give a second thought to replacing them with the same. They were $76 each.

We'd have to put them side-by-side on a track to see the difference I think. In day-to-day driving they appear to do the same as the factory ones. I certainly wouldn't give a second thought to replacing them with the same. They were $76 each.

Did you replace just the rears then and keep the OEM tires on the front? I wasn't sure about mixing different kinds of tires on the same car. Thanks.

Did you replace just the rears then and keep the OEM tires on the front? I wasn't sure about mixing different kinds of tires on the same car. Thanks.

That's generally regarded as a really bad thing to do for saftey reasons (different traction behavior causing the front and rear to behave differently from each other).

That's generally regarded as a really bad thing to do for saftey reasons (different traction behavior causing the front and rear to behave differently from each other).
I know one owner that's had absolutely no problem doing this. The fronts are original Yokos with 180 TreadWear rating; new rears are Toyo with TW 300.

I know one owner that's had absolutely no problem doing this. The fronts are original Yokos with 180 TreadWear rating; new rears are Toyo with TW 300.

It's probably OK for the Roadster given how much understeer it has. If you did something that caused oversteer either initially or later because the tires wear differently, that would be a problem -- but I don't see how you'd create oversteer in the Roadster :)

Yes, the fronts don't seem to wear at all; I'm not qualified to say if the cars balance is unsettled; it used to understeer, it still does. I do run all the tires at high pressure as well, I like the lightened front; it feels to me that it turns in quicker at 45psi than 35psi. I know; that doesn't make sense, it's probably that the lighter feel allows me to turn more quickly, it gives the impression of better response but, I like it.

No sign of uneven wear and at 15,000 miles, after changing the rears at 6,000 I'm now about 50% wear all round, ish.

I might try cross-ply's on the left, radials on the right next, I heard that was good. LOL. In the UK we used to have this fabulous old PSA:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just replaced the rear yoko's on my roadster sport with Sumitomo's. I am very pleased with them thus far. When I purchased the car the sales advisor warned me not to replace the tires with any other brand. I am not sure why it matters, I would have went with Yoko's but the place I went to does not normally stock those tires.

Out of curiosity where does everyone get their tires installed at?

Cinergi, I really enjoyed reading your piece. My car after waiting for what has seemed like an eternity since late last October will finally be delivered to me sometime around Feb. 23. Actually I'm going to pick it up at dealer as I don't want to create a big scene around my house. Your comments are making me look forward to a number of things and not look so much forward to others... For example, rattles also drive me crazy and I'm not looking forward to that at all after paying for something in this price range! However, the demo cars I was able to drive did not seem to have a rattle problem which is strange, but I guess maybe it really depends on the individual car. Another thing you confirm which I was worried about is that the soft top and universal charger will significantly eat into storage space. There was a soft top in the trunk in one of the display cars at the dealer and it did look like it took up a lot of space, but I was hopeing that was because of the way they rolled it up. Guess not.... I plan on taking my car on a lot of long distance trips with the charger and soft top stowed in the trunk, and I hope I can at least fit a small bag or two in as well. Not being able to find charge points also worries me and I see you haven't felt quite brave enough to test that one out yet.

I think my car is pretty much exactly the same spec as yours -- a base Roadster with the only big ticket option being the nav system. I did manage to score a set of discounted 2.0 black forged wheels (I think the 2.0 wheels look better than the 2.5's on a black car -- mine is Obsidian Black) and also I ordered a whole set of carbon fiber parts from CarboneOne (the first batch which is sitting in customs in Tokyo and will get here before the car does unfortunately). Anyway, thanks again for all the great info, it was a good read! BTW, I still think you should try my tent idea -- free test drives in exchange for being able to put up a portable garage. I feel a little sorry for your car everytime I see pics of it buried in snow :)

FINALLY finished my blog entry. Hopefully quality didn't suffer as a result of it becoming rather large and unmanageable -- please give me feedback!

Nice writeup!

Why didn't/don't you get a hard top? You're crazy. :)

I've had only roadsters for 20 years now and take the soft top off often at fairly low temperatures (mid-40s F if staying below 60 mph), but I still really like the hard top on my Roadster and put it on when it looks like I won't have the top off for a week or more.

Nice write up Ben. You were very detailed and I thought you were very fair in your comments about things like weak cabin heating, gear selection issue, cruise control / regen braking situation, weak headlamps, key fob range, etc.

After reviewing your list of service issues, I wonder if I've just been fortunate as the only issue we'd have in common is fogging headlamps...certainly I think a few of your service issues are related to the rather tough winter weather that you have experienced this year and the fact that your vehicle is not stored in a garage.

I agree with your sentiments that the Model S will be quite a different vehicle than the Roadster and I'm confident that a lot of the niggly things we grind our teeth at about our Roadsters must be written off to the fact that the vehicle is and is meant to be a roadster (not a BMW 5 series comprable like the Model S will be).

Thanks for your efforts!