Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner / Rental fleet almost completely eliminated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched around and didn't see much about this, and was wondering if it's a new policy anyone here has encountered.

I have a 2013 Model S scheduled for service tomorrow. My service reminder text said that Tesla no longer provides any alternative transportation options, so I inquired as to what that meant. I was told that Tesla no longer maintains any loaner or service fleet. The SC supposedly has 2 vehicles they use for emergencies and serious issues, but they are not offered for any normal service visits. If the expected service duration is multiple days AND your visit doesn't include a noise complaint, you may receive a daily Uber credit.

This is a very different situation than what was promised when we bought the car, or what we can get with other manufacturers. This is a big deal to me, and I was literally just about to replace this 2013 with a new Model S and order a Model Y.

Is this actually a real thing? I'm shocked.

wonder if its only certain locations. I've had to take mine back to the SC here in Richmond, VA twice since I bought the car last month. Both times received a Model S loaner without even asking. No mention of ending the program. However, I've also noticed on both visits? Service area not very busy at all.

Reactions: jorobsand
Definitely SC-specific. You see the lack of loaners/rentals much more in the CA area on these forums than anywhere else.

I took my Tesla in for a few hour appointment (regular maintenance visit) in Charlotte, NC just a few weeks ago and was given a loaner to use so I wouldn't have to sit around and wait.

at model 3 prices, I can possibly deal with this.

if I was paying model S or X or that level (or higher), I'd expect a loaner of SOME kind, even if ICE.

this will hurt tesla. they do need repeat buyers and word of mouth does matter.

we all realize they are hurting for inventory (they sold it all; good problem to have!) but why can't they arrange for ICE rentals?

really - uber? seriously?? I refuse to allow 'apps' like uber on my phone. that makes it nearly useless.

any executive who makes enough to buy high end cars should also not be told to install a spyware app on their phone, just to get around. that's totally 100% absurd. (then again, many execs know nothing about security or phone/network safety. but that's for another thread..)

I'm really hoping I can avoid needing tesla service. and in 4 years when I'm ready to trade-up, its going to be a different world in terms of the buying choices. lots of things are in flight and should be available in the 4 year timeframe.

really hoping tesla turns around and can survive this unbalanced growth of theirs.

for people who are ok with uber/lyft, that's fine. allow that as a choice.

for those that say no to apps (I wish I could go with u/l but the app thing is just a non-starter for me) - there should be a valid 2nd choice. keep a few ice's in the back just for old guys like me (lol). I'm not a smart phone junkie and apps are a turn-off to me. I should not have to compromise my phone just because my car is down for service.

I was pretty annoyed when I found out about this but it's actually not too bad. I dropped off my car today and got $200 uber credit and more if necessary. It's certainly faster than checking a rental car for damage and having to check it back in later.
While certainly not the "same or better" loaner we were promised years ago, it wouldn't be as big an issue to use ride sharing if I could Uber my kid to school. School buses aren't a thing here. I don't really have another option but to have a car.

Definitely SC-specific. You see the lack of loaners/rentals much more in the CA area on these forums than anywhere else.
I wonder if there's a Bay Area SC that still offers them. Maybe I can move my appointment. Otherwise I probably have to rent a car on my own and have it meet me there.

I agree that when you drop 100k or more on a car that a loaner should be comped. That being said, I've had many high end German cars that give loaners and it's not always that great. Dropped off my wife's X3 a couple of weeks ago and spent 3 hours for a loaner to come back in and I ended up with an Altima not a BMW.

Posts that Tesla sold most all their service loaners during the EOY rush. They sold all their loaners, demos, used and executive cars.

Believe plans are to restock with new ones, but with demand so much greater than production it would make sense for them to fill orders before restocking loaners.

Currently some get loaners, some get Uber credits, some get a ride home/work by an employee, and some get nothing. It can change day by day/hour by hour, depending on what they have available.

I searched around and didn't see much about this, and was wondering if it's a new policy anyone here has encountered.

I have a 2013 Model S scheduled for service tomorrow. My service reminder text said that Tesla no longer provides any alternative transportation options, so I inquired as to what that meant. I was told that Tesla no longer maintains any loaner or service fleet. The SC supposedly has 2 vehicles they use for emergencies and serious issues, but they are not offered for any normal service visits. If the expected service duration is multiple days AND your visit doesn't include a noise complaint, you may receive a daily Uber credit.

This is a very different situation than what was promised when we bought the car, or what we can get with other manufacturers. This is a big deal to me, and I was literally just about to replace this 2013 with a new Model S and order a Model Y.

Is this actually a real thing? I'm shocked.

Which service center are you scheduled at? I’ve heard Fremont gives Uber credits now

Which service center are you scheduled at? I’ve heard Fremont gives Uber credits now
Palo Alto. Uber credits, while not great, could be acceptable in some circumstances, but given a child transport requirement is not really a feasible option in my case. Getting a driver to allow a car seat installation in their vehicle is practically impossible, which is why Uber has a specific "Car Seat Vehicle" option in NYC.

Why doesn't Tesla have Courtesy Drivers. Take people where they need to go. Maybe something like a 30 mile radius of the SC. When your Car is ready they come get you.
Yes... that’s called Uber for them. They used to have staff at centers that they can spare for this (I believe they were “valets”) but they got rid of them a few years ago.