Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local CBS story, Tesla in autopilot mode hits fire truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He wasn't sure what he was doing at the time of the crash (maybe drinking coffee, maybe adjusting the radio?),

But he knew his coffee was spilled all over the place and his bagel was smashed... Which leads me to believe that his coffee was in one hand and the bagel in the other.

And he said that 3 seconds, how long there was no lead car in front of him, wasn't long enough for him to see the firetruck and react. In fact he didn't even know that is what he hit until he got out of the car after the collision.

Fire trucks often block lanes at an angle and usually just partway into the lane. At least this one appears to be mostly blocking although maybe that was because the impact pivoted the truck a bit.

Of course Tesla AP needs to figure this out, but assuming other OEMs AP take even longer than Tesla, fire trucks might want to revise their protocol and fully block the full lane directly instead of at an angle.

When my AP1, Model X ,is close behind another vehicle it locks onto them and attempts to turn, and weave, to follow that leading vehicle (vary annoying when in stop-and-go traffic and the car in front keep weaving out of the lane). Was the Tesla driver in this crash asleep and not allowing the steering wheel to turn

But he knew his coffee was spilled all over the place and his bagel was smashed... Which leads me to believe that his coffee was in one hand and the bagel in the other.

And he said that 3 seconds, how long there was no lead car in front of him, wasn't long enough for him to see the firetruck and react. In fact he didn't even know that is what he hit until he got out of the car after the collision.

Yeah. 3 seconds is a long time in a car. He also stated he had TACC set to 65mph when Tesla said it was set to 80mph. But, I'll give him not wanting to incriminate himself in his NTSB interview.

...Looks like the report...

Among the probable causes, it does not blame the Autopilot's performance but it does find fault on Autopilot design that allows driver's misuse.

It has reiterated its previous recommendation of developing a more effective driver monitor and alert system (torque monitor is not enough, it wants a visual monitor).

Other car manufacturers have responded with "their efforts to reduce misuse" but Tesla has not responded.

Sounds like lawsuits can say that Tesla has not made an effective design to keep drivers from using 2 hands to hold coffee and bagel at the same time.