Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of my Tesla account - Multi Factor Authorisation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. That would not be true two-factor then.

Something you know and something you have.
Most 2FA is associated with a phone number (technically "something you have"). Tesla uses an authenticator app - the one MS made is good because it can backup to iCloud on iPhone AND has a recovery email account. Authenticator is much safer than cell phone number as it can't be "stolen" from you by social engineering with the provider.

As for getting around the 2FA, when you created it, it gave you a long set of numbers/letters that were supposed to kept safe. I know this can be used because I see it on the website as "Verify another way" - it then asks for your backup key. If you do not have this, you are in trouble. :)

I use LastPass Authenticator. So let’s say I delete the phone app or I loose it, I can reinstall app and all my tokens are restored

this is convenient but technically it means the info to replicate your OTP generator is only as secure as LastPass. Not throwing shade and I would opt for the same convenience but just making sure people understand the implication here...

Reactions: Gasaraki
That's actually not a problem with MFA so much as a 1) we're all human and 2) we don't have a universally accepted yet non-repudiable way of proving we are who we say we are... So backup mechanisms must be in place.
There are backups! The MFA setup TOLD you to backup the backup codes. People don't listen and ignore that.
this is convenient but technically it means the info to replicate your OTP generator is only as secure as LastPass. Not throwing shade and I would opt for the same convenience but just making sure people understand the implication here...
Yeah 1password, lastpass, etc, etc are all flawed in that way. Use Bitwarden. Your password vault is encrypted so even they don't have access to it. However if you forget your master password, they can't help you either.

There are backups! The MFA setup TOLD you to backup the backup codes. People don't listen and ignore that.

Yes but that is not what I mean nor what the thread Is really about. In life there are always work-around because the real world is messy. Locksmiths can get you back into your home, and the dealer can always make a new key for a car. You can pay with cash if you forgot your card, etc. You can order new birth certificate if a hurricane or fire took out your house (and docs).

The codes are a backup but that’s still only on you. Life is messy. There needs to be a way through Tesla.

Yeah 1password, lastpass, etc, etc are all flawed in that way. Use Bitwarden. Your password vault is encrypted so even they don't have access to it. However if you forget your master password, they can't help you either.
The same is true of 1Password and LastPass. That is why both of those services provide you with an emergency rescue kit that you have to keep safe. If you forget your master password and have no access to your rescue kit, their customer service can't help you either.

Reactions: Andy7 and TBrownTX
Mickey you ever get the 2fa issue figured out? My phone bricked on me last month. And realized very quickly how poor my backups were situated.

I am locked out of Tesla app .. when trying to attach a new email to account. It still asks for Google authenticator codes...

Now I wonder what if my debit card is compromised. I can't use Tesla chargers then? If I can't add new debit card.

I wonder what other road blocks.

I come in peace. I love the car. Taken two road trips. Fantastic experience

Mickey you ever get the 2fa issue figured out? My phone bricked on me last month. And realized very quickly how poor my backups were situated.

I am locked out of Tesla app .. when trying to attach a new email to account. It still asks for Google authenticator codes...

Now I wonder what if my debit card is compromised. I can't use Tesla chargers then? If I can't add new debit card.

I wonder what other road blocks.

I come in peace. I love the car. Taken two road trips. Fantastic experience

Just call Tesla Roadside Assistance 877-798-3752 I did option 4 then 2 and was fixed within 5 minutes after a few security questions. They send you an email to deactivate MFA. once done I had access and reactivated MFA with the proper precautions this time.

The same is true of 1Password and LastPass. That is why both of those services provide you with an emergency rescue kit that you have to keep safe. If you forget your master password and have no access to your rescue kit, their customer service can't help you either.

Yup. I use 1Password and have that emergency kit in the "If I'm dead, read this" packet in my safe deposit box. As good a plan as any. Tried to make it all as easy as I could for my wife, should the worst happen -- grab the key and go directly to the safe deposit box. Everything I could think of that she may need is in there.

Please help!

I recently enabled Multi Factor Authorisation and shortly afterwards damaged my mobile phone. I sent the phone for repair enabling 'maintenance mode' before posting. This mode should have protected my apps and passwords but unfortunately the service centre reset my phone to factory settings including my authoriser app. Worse still the screenshot I had taken with the emergency back up codes was also gone and had not been saved in my 'cloud'.

There is no facility on the website to rectify this and so I tried to call the service centre. After waiting on the call for over an hour I gave up. I emailed one of the Tesla reps who handled my purchase and he helpfully passed my query onto the Tesla accounts email address. I received a 'we are busy' auto response but that was almost two weeks ago .

I am locked out of my account and cannot pair my mobile phone with my car.

Is there any other avenue I can try to resolve this issue?
All you need to do is Call Tesla at 878-332-6091 and press option 5. You need to give your cars information to authenticate and they will disable 2FA for you!

This is not a complex problem. I had the same issue and called Tesla Customer Service and they simply turned off 2FA. Took about 2 minutes. I logged in and set it up again, and this time saved the 10 backup passcodes where I knew I could find them.

Please help!

I recently enabled Multi Factor Authorisation and shortly afterwards damaged my mobile phone. I sent the phone for repair enabling 'maintenance mode' before posting. This mode should have protected my apps and passwords but unfortunately the service centre reset my phone to factory settings including my authoriser app. Worse still the screenshot I had taken with the emergency back up codes was also gone and had not been saved in my 'cloud'.

There is no facility on the website to rectify this and so I tried to call the service centre. After waiting on the call for over an hour I gave up. I emailed one of the Tesla reps who handled my purchase and he helpfully passed my query onto the Tesla accounts email address. I received a 'we are busy' auto response but that was almost two weeks ago .

I am locked out of my account and cannot pair my mobile phone with my car.

Is there any other avenue I can try to resolve this issue?
I have a similar issue. I do not nor have I ever had an auth app. I never had an issue signing into my account until recently. Name and password work great and then it wants a passcode. If I hit sign in another way, it asks for a backup passcode. If I hit help, it gives several links to everything in the world, BUT help signing in. I have never used anything but the two-factor sign in and now I can not get into my account. Does anyone else have this issue or know the magic link to contact anyone for this?