Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked, Zero% battery, frunk trick with 12V battery (A23) did not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I came across many youtube videos and postings in this forum that A23 battery can be used to pop up the frunk. Tried and didnot work. Is that because my car is locked? I am thinking of requesting roadside assisstance. Before that want to check if anybody had such experience and have a solution.

Battery drained when I went for july 4 vacation few days.

Model 3, 20203. 5900 miles.

Thank You

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
9V should work as well. This is the only way in, so it had better work.

The manual is often a better source than YouTube.

Opening Hood with No Power​

In the unlikely event that Model 3 has no low voltage power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen , key fob, or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:
Note
The following steps do not open the front trunk if Model 3 is locked and has low voltage power.
closeup of front tow eye cover
  1. Locate an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
  2. Release the tow eye cover by pressing firmly on the top right perimeter of the cover until it pivots inward, then gently pulling the raised section toward you.
    Note
    Depending on production date, either the positive or negative terminal may be attached to the tow eye cover.
  3. Pull the two wires out of the tow eye opening to expose both terminals.
  4. Connect the low voltage power supply's red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) terminal.
  5. Connect the low voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal.
    Note
    Applying external low voltage power to these terminals only releases the hood latches. You cannot charge the low voltage battery using these terminals.
  6. Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). The hood latches are immediately released and you can now open the hood to access the front trunk area.
  7. Disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
  8. If pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed truck, do not replace the tow eye cover yet. If necessary, install the tow eye cover by inserting the wires into the tow eye opening and aligning the tow eye cover into position and snapping it into place.

Upvote 0
A little A23 battery may simply not be able to provide enough amperage to open the frunk depending on the current draw of other parasitic devices and what is wrong with the low voltage battery in the car. Try using a larger battery like another car battery or a jump starter battery.

Reactions: AZAV8R
Upvote 0
Here is a thought. The frunk has two latches, a primary and a secondary. If the primary has opened and the frunk is being held closed by the secondary, opening it with the battery will not work.

So then, first press down on the frunk to ensure the primary is latched, then try to open with the A23 Battery.

Upvote 0
Good Afternoon everyone,
Just want to give you all an update.

I bought Type S Jump Starter and Powerbank from Costco. Charged it to 3/4 level and tried again. There you go. The frunk opened. Now the battery for the control electronics 16V Li-Ion not 12V lead acid. I referred to the youtube video by Prof. John Kelly,
, from Weber State University. He gives a very good explanation of the 16-V Li-Ion battery used by Tesla. This video helped me a lot along with Tesla owner's manual instruction posted by ewoodrick above. Connected the Type S jumperstarter cables to the +termnial of the 16-v Li-Ion battery and the -terminal (the bolt located between the brake fluid reservoir and the front trunk. The bolt is used as a grounding location for the external support. - refer manual). Car system re-started and touch screen came alive. Opened the charge port and charged the car back to 88%. Made a test drive. All good.

Sincere thanks to all of you.
🙏

Upvote 0
The A23 definitely does work. The 9V battery didn't work for me (a 16V car). I didn't try it myself, but I heard it's perfectly safe to use two 9V batteries connected together on newer cars. After all, 18V on a 16V system shouldn't cause an issue as the input on these external cables is actually well protected electronically.

Upvote 0