Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

locking car while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I just receive my car yesterday but I have a daft question.

I’ve plugged in the car to charge via the 3 pin plug but I can’t lock the car using the card I was given.

Doesn’t the card work to lock the car when charging?

Spot on guys.

I was holding the card up to the passenger side,

tried it on the drivers side and it worked, user error....

If anyone has any questions or wants me to check anything on the more than happy to help.

For information the car was delivered on a 10 year old trailer which looked awful. The panel gaps are laughable my boot is so misaligned I spotted it half way down the road and because of the misalignment it’s taken the paint off to the metal.

but it looks amazing

Spot on guys.

I was holding the card up to the passenger side,

tried it on the drivers side and it worked, user error....

If anyone has any questions or wants me to check anything on the more than happy to help.

For information the car was delivered on a 10 year old trailer which looked awful. The panel gaps are laughable my boot is so misaligned I spotted it half way down the road and because of the misalignment it’s taken the paint off to the metal.

but it looks amazing
Sorry to hear that your car has issues. Can you post some pics?

I’ll post pics when the light is better but dark at the moment.

M getting 229volts and 2kw is this normal I thought I’d be getting 240ish as my house is nearly rewired
Ah. I thought the same. In the UK you’ll get anything between 220 and 235v. I have a 7kw PodPoint charger. This usually delivers 30amps and around 230v. Amps x volts = watts 30x130 = c6.9kw I hope thatbthis helps.

M getting 229volts and 2kw is this normal I thought I’d be getting 240ish as my house is nearly rewired

As above, the tolerance is quite wide, however, the LV grid is still generally set to run at a nominal 240 VAC in practice, even though we fudged the tolerance as part of EU harmonisation to 230 VAC. This means that most homes will have a supply voltage that's normally closer to 240 VAC than 230 VAC most of the time. The voltage will drop during periods of high local demand, due to voltage drops on the distribution network, and we have been seeing pretty high demand over the past few days, especially late afternoons.

Having said that, 229 VAC, although well within tolerance, is a bit lower than average, and it would be a good idea to check to see if there is a local voltage drop on the circuit running the UMC. The reason for suggesting a check is that a voltage drop can be indicative of a potential wiring fault, and it makes sense to double check just to be sure, by checking the incoming voltage at the consumer unit whilst the car is charging. If, say, the voltage at the consumer unit is 245 VAC, and that at the car is 230 VAC, then that would suggest a fault, as the maximum allowable voltage drop would be about 12 VAC at maximum load (5%) and 10 A being drawn by a UMC and car charger isn't close to the maximum load if this is a ring final socket outlet circuit. However, if the UMC is plugged in to a radial socket circuit, protected at either 16 A or 20 A, then it might be possible to get a bit closer to the allowable voltage drop of 5% with a 10 A load.

A bit more information about the nature of the circuit the UMC is plugged in to would help. Clearly, measuring voltage at the incoming supply at the consumer unit is a job for a competent person, as it means leaving the CU live with the cover off, something that carries a potentially lethal electric shock risk.

If anyone is interested I am charging at 10miles a hour which I think is quite good as my uncle said he was getting 8.

What are other people getting? Is 10 miles the max?

Max peak charge rate is around 1,000mph in theory (250 kW from a V3 Supercharger), but that's very much a theoretical, or, perhaps, short duration peak charge, figure. In practice about 500mph or so from a V3 Supercharger might be more typical.

A normal Level 2 home charge point should be able to allow two of the three chargers to run at their maximum rating, which is 32 A from single phase AC. At 240 VAC that's roughly 28 to 30 mph. A 3 phase AC charge point would allow all three chargers to operate at their max rating of 16 A each, so would give a charge rate of around 43 to 46 mph.

The Level 1 UMC is limited to 10 A, so the chargers will be running below their maximum, and that has an impact on efficiency. The charge rate should be around 8 to 10 mph, depending on the supply voltage.