Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Someone in Car..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have walk away lock enabled

This AM I left my father in card, with the Keycard left on the reader, thinking this wouldn't lock car etc, it did!

Alarm went duly off etc

What is the procedure when you wish to 'leave' someone in the car?

Thanks

I’ve used Dog mode but the better half informs me it’s quite chilly. Might need to look to see if you can change the temp in Dog mode 🧐

I always use dog mode and you can indeed change the temperature. I don't think you used to but you can now.

Plus added bonus, the OP can check the interior camera to make sure their father isn't randomly barking at passers by or doing anything they shouldn't be doing.

I use dog mode and never realised it had different temperatures to ‘just keep it as it was set’

Does it disable the door buttons? I wouldn’t want my wife annoyed she couldn’t get out of the car if needed, but haven’t needed to test that yet

I use dog mode and never realised it had different temperatures to ‘just keep it as it was set’

Does it disable the door buttons? I wouldn’t want my wife annoyed she couldn’t get out of the car if needed, but haven’t needed to test that yet

Ah yeah good point...it does disable the top door handles incase the dog puts his paw on them. It doesn't/can't disable the emergency release but then not sure potentially smashing a window is worth the effort.

If you add your wife's phone as a key and she stays in it then the car shouldn't lock anyway?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cnixon and KerryOH
Ah yeah good point...it does disable the top door handles incase the dog puts his paw on them. It doesn't/can't disable the emergency release but then not sure potentially smashing a window is worth the effort.

then I’ve been lucky and gotten away with it so far.

If you add your wife's phone as a key and she stays in it then the car shouldn't lock anyway?

Not sure - if it was my key that unlocked it I assume it’d lock when I walked away. Maybe I can leave mine in the car

Not sure - if it was my key that unlocked it I assume it’d lock when I walked away. Maybe I can leave mine in the car
No. If you both have your phones as keys then it will stay unlocked if either of them is in the car. Adds the difficulty that if a handbag is left in the car with a phone in it the car won't lock when you both walk away. So you need to be vigilant that it has locked.

It genuinely is slightly problematic. The full volume sentry warning/punishment has gone off on separate occasions when my wife/baby/dog has been in the car. IMO you shouldn’t have to take various steps to ensure dogs and children don’t get deafened.

To be fair if you use walk away to lock then I don’t see what could be done to prevent this.

This is one of those scenarios where we forget that phone keys haven’t always existed, and I guess we forget that this wasn’t a problem in the past where we could just leave the key with the passenger. Or in my case, not have the luxury of this feature existing in my previous cars so just walk away with the door unlocked.

But on a hot/cold day you can’t leave a passenger without climate control so you’d just leave the key in the ignition anyway.

Another method is to leave the driver's door (or any door, not sure) not quite closed. Close it only to the first click, not to the final, second click.

Of course you have to explain that to the people in the car.

Apart from this I vote for camp mode.

It genuinely is slightly problematic. The full volume sentry warning/punishment has gone off on separate occasions when my wife/baby/dog has been in the car. IMO you shouldn’t have to take various steps to ensure dogs and children don’t get deafened.

Surely happens with any convenient entry or auto locking car?

No. If you both have your phones as keys then it will stay unlocked if either of them is in the car. Adds the difficulty that if a handbag is left in the car with a phone in it the car won't lock when you both walk away. So you need to be vigilant that it has locked.
The main reason I have honk on lock enabled

I would also like for Tesla to add the option for a chime & warning if you open the driver door to exit and your phone is still on the wireless charging pad because you forgot it there…

Reactions: Wybrook
I actually worry something might be off with the security alarm on my MY. I left passengers inside on multiple occasions where the car locked with walk-away door lock&sentry. The alarm was never triggered once. Only minor inconvenience is that they lost climate for the few minutes I was away.
How can I test for this? Both for the volumetric and the break-in (obviously without smashing one of my own windows…)