Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Someone in Car..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No they were not drivers. I do not believe they tapped the screen. Basically how can I test if my 2022 MY has a volumetric alarm. Tried to disable bluetooth on my phone, wait for my car to lock me inside (not seating on the driver seat), and started to move inside for a few minutes, this did not trigger any alarm..

Does keep climate mode not work? I feel like I’ve used this a few times when leaving passengers in the car. Maybe they‘ve just been lucky.

From my understanding it locks the doors when you walk away but doesn’t engage the interior alarm, again only from experience. No idea if the alarm would go off a door is opened by the passenger though.

Otherwise camp mode looks like a good option.

1690208152187.png

I could swear that Elon recently responded to somebody about this issue, and said that they would update the cars so that things don't shutdown when the driver exits but you leave a passenger in the vehicle. But I can't find it right now.

It could still operate even when locked, but the driver, key or a special setting isn't needed to reactivate the screen.
It shouldn’t as there is no key nearby. Imagine a scenario where you are leaving a naughty 12 year old in the car - in normal cars you take the key out and exit the car to the petrol station or buy stuff and so on if you don’t want to risk - and if your screen is active after the car is locked they still can accidentally move the car. I have not tested this but whenever I close with my watch if I don’t press the watch button the screen will say something like use the card reader to open.

It shouldn’t as there is no key nearby. Imagine a scenario where you are leaving a naughty 12 year old in the car - in normal cars you take the key out and exit the car to the petrol station or buy stuff and so on if you don’t want to risk - and if your screen is active after the car is locked they still can accidentally move the car. I have not tested this but whenever I close with my watch if I don’t press the watch button the screen will say something like use the card reader to open.
You can't move the car with the infotainment screen. You need a key as well as a pedal and stalk action do that, so there's no risk of a naughty 12 year-old accidentally moving the car unless they have a key in their possession.

I've personally tested activating the infotainment screen without the key in the cabin whilst sitting on the passenger seat.

Last edited:
I actually worry something might be off with the security alarm on my MY. I left passengers inside on multiple occasions where the car locked with walk-away door lock&sentry. The alarm was never triggered once. Only minor inconvenience is that they lost climate for the few minutes I was away.
How can I test for this? Both for the volumetric and the break-in (obviously without smashing one of my own windows…)
Me too. Regularly leave my daughter's in car when I nip into a shop. The alarm has only ever gone off once and that was because they went to open a door. I assumed they maybe just sat still enough that the alarm wasn't set off. but they reliably (as reliably as 14 year olds can be!) Tell me that when they are left in the car that Spotify continues to play. I wondered if there was an update that detected passengers so didn't set alarm. But I'm just wondering.

Maybe @MP3Mike is right.