Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay opening new model X with phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Tesla support called me yesterday, after the chat through the app, and told me they think there is an issue with the MAC address. They suggested to remove ALL phone keys from the car and delete and reinstall the app from all associated iPhones. When I get my car back from the body shop, if 2024.2.7 doesn’t solve the issue then I will try that. Feels like shooting in the wind but hey, what’s to loose by trying?!
I just tried this and it still doesn’t work on either of our phones. So annoying!

2024.2.7 and latest iPhone app using iPhone 14 Pros.

Well I have a 2023 MXP and it is available to me. I had the same issue that I never had the "Upgrade" button in app, but the steps I posted worked after trial and error.

Make sure you delete ALL phone keys from the car before following them, and when pairing the phone key to the car you allow the app to ALWAYS use your location. As soon as you allow app to always use your location you will get another popup in pretty much fractions of a second so it can be missed easily. This second popup will ask for permissions for the app for nearby interactions.

Well I have a 2023 MXP and it is available to me. I had the same issue that I never had the "Upgrade" button in app, but the steps I posted worked after trial and error.

Make sure you delete ALL phone keys from the car before following them, and when pairing the phone key to the car you allow the app to ALWAYS use your location. As soon as you allow app to always use your location you will get another popup in pretty much fractions of a second so it can be missed easily. This second popup will ask for permissions for the app for nearby interactions.
I was able to make this work with these instructions as well. The key was – as mentioned above – to remove ALL phone key entries from the car. I previously tried a few times removing only my phone but not my wife's, and it did not work. Yesterday I removed them all, making sure that only key cards were left on the list, then uninstalled the app from my phone, reinstalled it, signed into the Tesla account, and set up my phone as a phone key. Whenever it asked me for permissions I gave the most inclusive one (for location I think it initially prompts you to choose between "allow once" vs "allow when using the app", then shortly thereafter prompts for "always allow"; I believe I also was prompted and gave permission for "motion and fitness" sensors), and lo and behold, ended up getting the prompt for nearby interactions. I did not do an uninstall/reinstall on my wife's phone. Enjoying me some UWB precision now...Bluetooth was mostly ok but really annoying those times when it didn't work (though I ended up working around that by mapping the iPhone 15 action button to a shortcut that unlocks/opens the car doors, so I could trigger that in my pocket while approaching the car and be sure that by the time I got there it was unlocked/opened).

I'm based in Taiwan, 2023 Model X w/ iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: FilthyCyberRat
FINALLY the app randomly gave me the prompt to update my phone key and now ultra wide band is working. However, it’s still not working on my wife’s phone lol.

I’ve deleted the keys and reinstalled the app several times now on both phones. Seems random as f.

I’ve made it…

1. Secure the card on your pocket!
2. Delete all the keys except the cards.
3. Reset the car from the two buttons.
4. Delete Tesla app form iPhone.
5. Restart the iphone.
6. Install Tesla app on the iphone 11+ and login into Tesla Account.
7. Accept access to all: Bluetooth, GPS, Fitness etc
8. Add the key! It will ask for access to Nearby Devices. Accept it!

Attachments

• IMG_6871.png
    IMG_6871.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6872.jpeg
    IMG_6872.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 17
Since upgrading to UWB keys, I have consistently faced issues where the key is not detected, despite having my phone in my pants (not at the back). This problem becomes particularly frustrating when I try to open the trunk, especially with my hands full of groceries. It is frustrating.
I have to take out the phone, unlock it and wait 2-3s.

I’ve made it…

1. Secure the card on your pocket!
2. Delete all the keys except the cards.
3. Reset the car from the two buttons.
4. Delete Tesla app form iPhone.
5. Restart the iphone.
6. Install Tesla app on the iphone 11+ and login into Tesla Account.
7. Accept access to all: Bluetooth, GPS, Fitness etc
8. Add the key! It will ask for access to Nearby Devices. Accept it!
Hi Bogd, my car was in the shop for a while for bodywork but now got the car back. I confirm that upgrading the app to 4.31 and the car to 2024.8.4 did not make a difference - still could not upgrade the phone key. BUT when I did as you suggested and deleted ALL the phone keys from the car, closed the app, restarted the phone and restarted the car UI, BINGO! When I added the phone key back to the app, I got the UWB prompt and the Tesla App now appears in my privacy => nearby interactions settings on the phone. So that’s the trick. Delete ALL phone keys from the car. Nice. Thanks for your help!