Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

long distance trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a business meeting coming up. It is 113 miles from my home to where I have to be. There is not a SC on the route. The closest supercharger is 91 miles from the location of the meeting if I go back toward my office or home. If I go 58 miles in the opposite direction I can find a super charger Would you go out of the way or chance going 204 miles on a charge. I have a MS 70.

Some of the trip is interstate and some are country roads Mostly flat Illinois roads

I would try to drive conservatively and be aware of L2 charging locations on the way back if needed. Check on Plug share to see what is available along your route. If you only need a boost of 10-20 miles somewhere on the return trip a 40 amp charger on the way back is not bad.

driving something with really crappy range makes you appreciate plugshare.com :)
Take a look on plugshare for L2 charging close to where you are going to, or where is a god place to stop for a food break that also has L2 options, the extra 25 miles from an hour of charging will make all the difference to your state of mind.

This is one reason I am upgrading to the 75D. I have family 200 miles away, so when visiting during the summer I can get there on a single charge without worry.

From a pure range perspective, the cost/mile to get the extra range is actually less expensive than upgrading to the 90D (obviously there are additional benefits to the 90D). I don't know why I see a lot of people thinking the cost is so unfair.

Use this site to estimate your energy usage for that specific trip. EV Trip Planner

Also, enter your destination in your Tesla's onboard nav and see how closely it agrees with that website. It will probably;y be more optimistic because it does not factor in temperature. But at this time of year, temperature should not be a concern. Strong headwinds will impact your range. Keep,that in mind.

Then check Plugshare for an L2 chargers on your route, just in case.

Charge to 100% before you start your trip, and have the charge finish a few hours before you start so your car doesn't sit for a long time at 100%.
I have a business meeting coming up. It is 113 miles from my home to where I have to be. There is not a SC on the route. The closest supercharger is 91 miles from the location of the meeting if I go back toward my office or home. If I go 58 miles in the opposite direction I can find a super charger Would you go out of the way or chance going 204 miles on a charge. I have a MS 70.

Some of the trip is interstate and some are country roads Mostly flat Illinois roads

That sounds pretty tight with no charging, and you would need to keep your speed down, regardless. Level 2 charging would be really helpful of course, but if your meeting time is at least 2-3 hours, that might work out OK if you at least have a 120V wall outlet you can use while you are there.