TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

long distance trip

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by PDFS, May 8, 2016.

1. PDFS

PDFS PDF's tesla

I have a business meeting coming up. It is 113 miles from my home to where I have to be. There is not a SC on the route. The closest supercharger is 91 miles from the location of the meeting if I go back toward my office or home. If I go 58 miles in the opposite direction I can find a super charger Would you go out of the way or chance going 204 miles on a charge. I have a MS 70.

Some of the trip is interstate and some are country roads Mostly flat Illinois roads

2. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I would try to drive conservatively and be aware of L2 charging locations on the way back if needed. Check on Plug share to see what is available along your route. If you only need a boost of 10-20 miles somewhere on the return trip a 40 amp charger on the way back is not bad.

3. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

driving something with really crappy range makes you appreciate plugshare.com :)
    Take a look on plugshare for L2 charging close to where you are going to, or where is a god place to stop for a food break that also has L2 options, the extra 25 miles from an hour of charging will make all the difference to your state of mind.

4. tennis

tennis Member

This is one reason I am upgrading to the 75D. I have family 200 miles away, so when visiting during the summer I can get there on a single charge without worry.

From a pure range perspective, the cost/mile to get the extra range is actually less expensive than upgrading to the 90D (obviously there are additional benefits to the 90D). I don't know why I see a lot of people thinking the cost is so unfair.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Use this site to estimate your energy usage for that specific trip. EV Trip Planner

Also, enter your destination in your Tesla's onboard nav and see how closely it agrees with that website. It will probably;y be more optimistic because it does not factor in temperature. But at this time of year, temperature should not be a concern. Strong headwinds will impact your range. Keep,that in mind.

Then check Plugshare for an L2 chargers on your route, just in case.

Charge to 100% before you start your trip, and have the charge finish a few hours before you start so your car doesn't sit for a long time at 100%.

6. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

There are a lot of L2 chargers out there. Find one at your destination and see if you can park there during your meeting. A couple of hours on the L2 spigot (7kW ~ 21mph) could be enough to get you back home.

7. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

That sounds pretty tight with no charging, and you would need to keep your speed down, regardless. Level 2 charging would be really helpful of course, but if your meeting time is at least 2-3 hours, that might work out OK if you at least have a 120V wall outlet you can use while you are there.

8. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I agree that it would be very tight. Tesla Destination Chargers might help (Find Us | Tesla Motors) or plugshare.com. If using a Tesla Destination Charger, it's probably a good idea to call beforehand.