Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long or short HPWC cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a email from Telstra last week re my Model X order (to be delivered late Dec in Sydney). They have asked me to specify the 2.7m or 7.7m charging cable for the HPWC. I can probably live with the shorter one, but then again the longer might occasionally come in handy. My questions is how much of a pain is it to store the longer cable with the new HPWC. Does it roll up neatly enough? 7.7m (25ft) seems pretty long...

Thanks

I have the longer one, it is very thick and heavy wire. Coiled around a hook in my garage, on a wall, in a 1' wide bay. Can't imaging getting the shorter one, the flexibility of the extra length is hard to pass up. The extra storage required is 3" of depth, it isn't that big.

We got a Gen 1 HPWC which came with the longer cable. I never thought we'd need the long cable... until I parked our RV in the driveway which blocked our Tesla in the garage. Solution was simple with the long cable... Just run it out the corner of our garage under our RV to our Tesla. PERFECT.

The longer cable would also allow us to change a guest Tesla in our driveway... and charge a 2nd Tesla in our other garage space without having to incur the non insignificant cost to install a 14-50 or HPWC for another Tesla.

Thanks everyone. Kinda seems alike a silly question in retrospect!
Not at all.
If I had asked on TMC I probably wouldn't be stuck with this short 8.5' cable now. I was going to install it between the 2 garage doors to be able to reach each car. Would have worked for one car but 2' short to reach across the truck to charge the other. A 15' cable would have been great.