Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range Model 3 has 334 miles range according to EPA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible. I have to admit that 334 miles range on the long range Model 3 looks very attractive. I know that the Model S is a bigger and more premium model but still, when you just compare range and price, the long range Model 3 looks "better" than the S.

I really get sick of reading about how much a better deal the Model 3 is than the S. Surely, people must realize that Tesla told us Model S purchasers a long time ago that by buying the Model S we are funding the development and eventual sale of the mass market, affordable, Model 3. Also, many people buying a S financially stretched to do so, believing that they were not only buying a vehicle, but also investing in helping to change the future of transportation for future generations, or at least accelerating that change -- and we don't have much time to spare according to climate science. While I didn't need to stretch to buy my S, I still never would have paid over $100k for a vehicle were it not for Tesla. It allowed me to justify spending money that will otherwise be left to my kids, and I can even tell them I am doing it for their benefit! ;)

We all know the 3 is a better deal than the S. There's no need to state it except to thank the S/X purchasers for that.

Honestly, I have seen no compelling evidence that charging to "X" percentage has any effect on the battery life, positive or negative. I charge to 90% almost daily and to 100% roughly weekly and my degradation is no better or worse than others here with similar miles and similar battery. The Tesloop people charge to 100% every day and then supercharge multiple times a day and their reported degradation is normal.

Is there any more compelling evidence than that? Please don't tell me that you're another one who believes that science is not compelling evidence?

I guess like global warming, you can use samples and the current state of the environment to say things are fine but I'm interested in making my battery last long term, while still getting the most use of it, and not worrying about it. So I do short cycles around 50% for my daily driving and charge to 100% most weekends going to and from my cabin where I also use superchargers. But I drive right after I charge to 100%. So far my 85 numbers are:

431 km new (March 2014)
424 km at 4,700km
412 km Aug 2017 approx 76k km

We know lithium ions batteries degrade the fastest in the first few months, which proved true in my case. Since then, the degradation has been nominal. Sure, someone charging to 100% daily can perhaps say the same but I'd say speak to me in a few years -- the oldest S is only 5 years old so it's far too early to find out about degradation. It makes sense that the cathode damage may not be affecting the numbers now -- but when the warranty ends? If you lease, or plan to upgrade in a few years, or just don't care, fine, but let's not ignore the science based on "everything's fine today" and mislead others in doing so. There's a very good reason Tesla has a "Daily Driving" slider.

My 2012 Leaf still has 11 bars -- it has the "long life" 80% mode that Nissan had to drop in 2013 for greater EPA ratings. Nissan sure taught us how heat and high charge rates can degrade a battery, especially with no thermal cooling like Tesla.

Last edited:
Part 5: Clementine

In the analogy, Clementine was the girl who could document two different birth dates and I said she represented the Model S P100D. Here is the document for the Model S P100D. I found that 2017 file on this page under the first column called Datafile1. Here is a screenshot:

qq0CyVg.gif

This EPA document says "Combined range voluntarily lowered to 315 miles" and when you select city range, you can see the original range in the formula bar. What they are doing here is, they are reducing the city and highway range retroactively at the same rate the combined range was reduced. In other words, the Model S P100D scored 324.3 mi EPA rated range and it was voluntarily lowered to 315 miles. The ratio of this reduction is 315/324.3. The city range originally was 305.9 miles but they want to reduce it by the same rate. That's why they are multiplying it by 315/324.3. The EPA is not trying to hide voluntary reductions. They are just trying to have consistent city, highway and combined range numbers where all of them are voluntarily reduced.

This 2017 file is very valuable because the EPA doesn't normally leave the original range numbers in the formula cells. Normally, this file should show 297.1 mi as static text and that's it. They were supposed to convert formula cells to static text. In Excel you do that by copying the cells and then right click to same cells > paste special > paste values. They forgot to do that in the 2017 file but they have done it in all previous years.

These 3 numbers were published for the Model S P100D:
  • 315 mi EPA rated range
  • 92 MPGe city fuel economy
  • 105 MPGe highway fuel economy
Gkimkqb.gif

Screenshot source: EPA

Here are the 4 numbers from the dyno test we will use as input data:
  • 111.47 kWh wall consumption in city dyno test (see page 10 here)
  • 414.45 mi in city dyno score (see page 10 here)
  • 111.88 kWh wall consumption in highway dyno test (see page 11 here)
  • 469.99 mi in highway dyno score (see page 11 here)
Step 1: City and highway range: To calculate these, you multiply the dyno scores by 0.738. The Model S and X use different multipliers. There are 3 different multipliers for different Model S trim levels. These are published in another EPA document.
City range = 414.45 mi * 0.738= 305.8641 mi
Highway range = 469.99 mi * 0.738= 346.85262 mi

Step 2: Combined range: This is the EPA rated range. It is calculated from 55% of city range and 45% of highway range.
Combined range = 0.55*305.8641 + 0.45*346.85262= 168.225255 +156.083679 = 324.3089 mi EPA rated range

Step 3: MPGe numbers: MPGe means miles per 33.7 kWh wall consumption.

If city range is 305.8641 miles per 111.47 kWh wall consumption,
then city range is X miles per 33.7 kWh wall consumption
X= 305.8641 mi * 33.7 kWh / 111.47 kWh= 92.47 mi per 33.7 kWh wall consumption = 92 MPGe city fuel economy

If highway range is 346.85262 miles per 111.88 kWh wall consumption,
then highway range is X miles per 33.7 kWh wall consumption
X= 346.85262 mi * 33.7 kWh / 111.88 kWh= 104.477 mi per 33.7 kWh wall consumption rounded to 115 MPGe highway fuel economy

Similar to the Part 4, this calculation also ended up with a different EPA rated range number than advertised however we can see that the method is correct and the calculated number is the original number before the voluntary reduction because, the calculated 324.3089 matches exactly what the document shows.

Last edited:
I really get sick of reading about how much a better deal the Model 3 is than the S. Surely, people must realize that Tesla told us Model S purchasers a long time ago that by buying the Model S we are funding the development and eventual sale of the mass market, affordable, Model 3. Also, many people buying a S financially stretched to do so, believing that they were not only buying a vehicle, but also investing in helping to change the future of transportation for future generations, or at least accelerating that change -- and we don't have much time to spare according to climate science. While I didn't need to stretch to buy my S, I still never would have paid over $100k for a vehicle were it not for Tesla. It allowed me to justify spending money that will otherwise be left to my kids, and I can even tell them I am doing it for their benefit! ;)

We all know the 3 is a better deal than the S. There's no need to state it except to thank the S/X purchasers for that.

Is there any more compelling evidence than that? Please don't tell me that you're another one who believes that science is not compelling evidence?

I guess like global warming, you can use samples and the current state of the environment to say things are fine but I'm interested in making my battery last long term, while still getting the most use of it, and not worrying about it. So I do short cycles around 50% for my daily driving and charge to 100% most weekends going to and from my cabin where I also use superchargers. But I drive right after I charge to 100%. So far my 85 numbers are:

431 km new (March 2014)
424 km at 4,700km
412 km Aug 2017 approx 76k km

We know lithium ions batteries degrade the fastest in the first few months, which proved true in my case. Since then, the degradation has been nominal. Sure, someone charging to 100% daily can perhaps say the same but I'd say speak to me in a few years -- the oldest S is only 5 years old so it's far too early to find out about degradation. It makes sense that the cathode damage may not be affecting the numbers now -- but when the warranty ends? If you lease, or plan to upgrade in a few years, or just don't care, fine, but let's not ignore the science based on "everything's fine today" and mislead others in doing so. There's a very good reason Tesla has a "Daily Driving" slider.

My 2012 Leaf still has 11 bars -- it has the "long life" 80% mode that Nissan had to drop in 2013 for greater EPA ratings. Nissan sure taught us how heat and high charge rates can degrade a battery, especially with no thermal cooling like Tesla.
Show me a Tesla with abnormal degradation that is not linked to a direct failure of battery cells/modules. That's the cool part of science, you make your hypothesis and then you prove it with evidence. The Tesla fleet is starting to get old now and I have yet to see a flood of cars with severe range reductions because of battery aging issues.

... Ignore the city and combined ranges, focus only on the highway range. Because except in certain specific circumstances, it's the only figure that really matters.

Makes sense for me, because if I'm doing any driving where range matters it's going to be on highways. In a day driving around the region where I live no way am I going to come close to driving 300 miles.

Critical to my wife letting me get the 3, because she's going to be driving it more than I am and she's range paranoid and she can exceed 200 miles going store to store, mall to mall, in a single day.

Part 5: Clementine

In the analogy, Clementine was the girl who could document two different birth dates and I said she represented the Model S P100D. Here is the document for the Model S P100D. I found that 2017 file on this page under the first column called Datafile1. Here is a screenshot:

qq0CyVg.gif

This EPA document says "Combined range voluntarily lowered to 315 miles" and when you select city range, you can see the original range in the formula bar. What they are doing here is, they are reducing the city and highway range retroactively at the same rate the combined range was reduced. In other words, the Model S P100D scored 324.3 mi EPA rated range and it was voluntarily lowered to 315 miles. The ratio of this reduction is 315/324.3. The city range originally was 305.9 miles but they want to reduce it by the same rate. That's why they are multiplying it by 315/324.3. The EPA is not trying to hide voluntary reductions. They are just trying to have consistent city, highway and combined range numbers where all of them are voluntarily reduced.

This 2017 file is very valuable because the EPA doesn't normally leave the original range numbers in the formula cells. Normally, this file should show 297.1 mi as static text and that's it. They were supposed to convert formula cells to static text. In Excel you do that by copying the cells and then right click to same cells > paste special > paste values. They forgot to do that in the 2017 file but they have done it in all previous years.

These 3 numbers were published for the Model S P100D:
  • 315 mi EPA rated range
  • 92 MPGe city fuel economy
  • 105 MPGe highway fuel economy
Gkimkqb.gif

Screenshot source: EPA

Here are the 4 numbers from the dyno test we will use as input data:
  • 111.47 kWh wall consumption in city dyno test (see page 10 here)
  • 414.45 mi in city dyno score (see page 10 here)
  • 111.88 kWh wall consumption in highway dyno test (see page 11 here)
  • 469.99 mi in highway dyno score (see page 11 here)
Step 1: City and highway range: To calculate these, you multiply the dyno scores by 0.738. The Model S and X use different multipliers. There are 3 different multipliers for different Model S trim levels. These are published in another EPA document.
City range = 414.45 mi * 0.738= 305.8641 mi
Highway range = 469.99 mi * 0.738= 346.85262 mi

Step 2: Combined range: This is the EPA rated range. It is calculated from 55% of city range and 45% of highway range.
Combined range = 0.55*305.8641 + 0.45*346.85262= 168.225255 +156.083679 = 324.3089 mi EPA rated range

Step 3: MPGe numbers: MPGe means miles per 33.7 kWh wall consumption.

If city range is 305.8641 miles per 111.47 kWh wall consumption,
then city range is X miles per 33.7 kWh wall consumption
X= 305.8641 mi * 33.7 kWh / 111.47 kWh= 92.47 mi per 33.7 kWh wall consumption = 92 MPGe city fuel economy

If highway range is 346.85262 miles per 111.88 kWh wall consumption,
then highway range is X miles per 33.7 kWh wall consumption
X= 346.85262 mi * 33.7 kWh / 111.88 kWh= 104.477 mi per 33.7 kWh wall consumption rounded to 115 MPGe highway fuel economy

Similar to the Part 4, this calculation also ended up with a different EPA rated range number than advertised however we can see that the method is correct and the calculated number is the original number before the voluntary reduction because, the calculated 324.3089 matches exactly what the document shows.
Good grief - what do you do for a living and how do you have the energy and attention span left over to write us this epic? lol seriously. it's great but - wow.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS
It appears that Tesla might be under reporting the range of the long range Model 3. According to the EPA, they calculate a range of 334 miles, not 310 miles: Tesla Model 3 actually has 334 miles of range according to EPA data

I know range can vary in EV cars from a lot of factors. But this could be really good news. I suspect Tesla might be under reporting in order to under promise and over deliver. But an EPA range of 334 miles is excellent. I suspect that the standard range model 3 might also have better range than reported too. Maybe the standard range is closer to 240 miles?

This is incredibly interesting. Tesla will be under some major pressure to do something with the S; either a new battery, new interior, lower price, or something.

@calisnow, thanks. I actually started writing about this a month ago here. In that thread, if you continue reading from there you can find the calculations, the formulas, the screenshots, the Bolt example etc. Then recently I wrote a few more messages in Trev's Tesla forum here. That's when I came up with the analogy. I guess that helped more people understand the topic. Then Teslarati picked up on the issue and I wanted to improve the presentation and wrote the messages in this thread.

The biggest problem for me is actually not being able to edit my messages and the fear that I will make a mistake that's going to bother me. In Trev's forum, I can edit my messages. I really like that. I wish @doug would give me the ability to edit my messages here.

Last edited:
This is incredibly interesting. Tesla will be under some major pressure to do something with the S; either a new battery, new interior, lower price, or something.

Undoubtedly. I think everyone is expecting some kind of major refresh of the S/X within the next 12 months. Probably a new interior that is much more "premium" along with a larger pack and maybe new exterior styling. At this point, there is almost no reason to buy the S over the 3.

Reactions: diplomat33
It is always the smart move for Tesla to advertise less range than you really get.

If Tesla says 310 and you get 334, no one is complaining.

But if Tesla says 330 and you get 329.8 in one range test, everyone will be wailing like crazy about it.

So it is just a whole lot easier to under promise and over deliver. And even with degradation over a few years, the 310 is still being exceeded.

And if the small battery is advertised at 220 and you get 235, that is good too.

It is always the smart move for Tesla to advertise less range than you really get.

If Tesla says 310 and you get 334, no one is complaining.

But if Tesla says 330 and you get 329.8 in one range test, everyone will be wailing like crazy about it.

So it is just a whole lot easier to under promise and over deliver. And even with degradation over a few years, the 310 is still being exceeded.

And if the small battery is advertised at 220 and you get 235, that is good too.
I think Tesla learned this lesson from the original 85 cars. I also think that for the same reason you stated, they have opted to not refer to the battery size at all.

Why do people keep talking about 334, as if combined mileage is what matters for almost anyone? I don't get this.

Highway mileage is what matters. The difference is 318 vs. 310, not 334 vs. 310. If Tesla had been out there plugging combined mileage figures, people would be really mad when they got their cars, got on the highway, and found they couldn't actually go that far.