Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range vs Performance Differences (apart from range and speed?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -

Been trying to figure out (aside from range and speed) what, if any differences there are between these two models. I noticed for example in the configurator that the Performance interior is listed with CF and ventilated seats, but the Long Range does not mention ventilated seats. Also, red vs black brake calipers. Are there any other differences, either aesthetically or functionally? (eg different brakes, suspension etc?).

Many thanks

I have the exact same question. Hard to find much more details online anywhere but it looks like speed and range are specs, the rest are aesthetic. Red brake pads, ability configure with carbon fiber inlay over wood grain, etc

Why do they do this ?

The performance rear calipers are 4-piston brembos.

Originally all Tesla’s had these 4-piston rear calipers but sometime around the front end refresh (circa 2016), Tesla started shipping non Performance models with single piston rears with integrated e-brakes (most likely to save on costs). However they kept the 4-pistons on the Performance models even to this day.

The performance rear calipers are 4-piston brembos.

Originally all Tesla’s had these 4-piston rear calipers but sometime around the front end refresh (circa 2016), Tesla started shipping non Performance models with single piston rears with integrated e-brakes (most likely to save on costs). However they kept the 4-pistons on the Performance models even to this day.

Ahh I see @Cricket88.

Do you know if there is a significant difference in stopping distances, brake fade or braking performance as a result of the change?

Ahh I see @Cricket88.

Do you know if there is a significant difference in stopping distances, brake fade or braking performance as a result of the change?

I do not, but I recall back in 2016 Tesla making a statement specifically about their reason for switching the rear brakes and I want to say they stated no loss in braking power from original version. This topic didn’t really gain much attention as the focus was more on AP HW2 (at the time) and the complete overhaul of the autopilot program (from Mobile Eye, to in-house)... if I had to guess. It would have more to do with thermal resistance and reduced brake fade because of it, vs stopping power since rear brakes are more intended as an assist. The front brakes do most of the heavy lifting. (Which by the way, are the same across all models regardless of trim. Just red for P and black for non-P).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari