Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you at least have the sense to limit your exposure by buying puts? Or are you truly short? Either way, big ouch on Netflix. And small ouch on Tesla— you could have had a nice profit getting out when the SP was in the 240s, but now you’ve given away most of your profits.

No, I have straight shorts. Don’t like paying time value. No ouch with Tesla, traded them three times since December (but always closed too early :(), cant complain there. Now fourth time in profit but wont close this time until about 200.

Netflix is in a much better position, which is clear to me but could not resist the valuation. Its hard to time the market exeburance but I am confident and patient. Earned lots of money in the last 12 years since starting leveraged positions (long & short) as a sidecar portfolio.

If he can get free cash flow in Q3/4 and then goes to the markets for cap infusion for the above mentioned growth EM will have no problem getting the cap needed and I would suggest (not that he listens to me) he raise a ton of cap to grow asap.

I doubt anyone would fault him to go for a cap raise in 2018 under those circumstances

If he's waiting for free cash flow in Q3 and Q4 then wouldn't the cap raise be in 2019?

Did you at least have the sense to limit your exposure by buying puts? Or are you truly short? Either way, big ouch on Netflix. And small ouch on Tesla— you could have had a nice profit getting out when the SP was in the 240s, but now you’ve given away most of your profits.

For anyone short shares, buying puts increases exposure if the share price rises. Selling puts for shorts is similar to selling calls for longs: it closes out the position if the share moves in the expected direction but beyond the strike price on the expiration date.

For anyone short shares, buying puts increases exposure if the share price rises. Selling puts for shorts is similar to selling calls for longs: it closes out the position if the share moves in the expected direction but beyond the strike price on the expiration date.

I was asking if s/he bought puts rather than shorting shares, not if s/he bought puts in addition to shorting shares.

No, I have straight shorts. Don’t like paying time value. No ouch with Tesla, traded them three times since December (but always closed too early :(), cant complain there. Now fourth time in profit but wont close this time until about 200.

Netflix is in a much better position, which is clear to me but could not resist the valuation. Its hard to time the market exeburance but I am confident and patient. Earned lots of money in the last 12 years since starting leveraged positions (long & short) as a sidecar portfolio.
I’d wish you luck, but I’m on the other side of your trade(just shares, no margin or calls). Perhaps we can get a split adjusted 200?
Do you discount any odds of Tesla making 5000 3’s a week in 2018, or don’t think they’ll be profitable at any scale? What happens if they are profitable at 5000 3’s a week and push through to 10,000 or close by end of year? At 8 billion in q4 revenue you think they’ll still lose money?

I’d wish you luck, but I’m on the other side of your trade(just shares, no margin or calls). Perhaps we can get a split adjusted 200?
Do you discount any odds of Tesla making 5000 3’s a week in 2018, or don’t think they’ll be profitable at any scale? What happens if they are profitable at 5000 3’s a week and push through to 10,000 or close by end of year? At 8 billion in q4 revenue you think they’ll still lose money?
I imagine they think the SP is still worth less than 200 even with those speculations. Who knows what the market will decide.

Just because the company makes money doesn't mean the shares rise.

Thx, I believe the "luck" is on my side :cool:

The probability of Tesla reaching a sustainable production level of 5,000 M3 in this year is nearly zero imho. And even at that level they would be around break even only.

And don‘t even think of 10,000. Even EM stopped talking about that number. And iirc at the cc Q4/2017 they said they are holding back capex for the next step to 10,000 so that it would take a long time to invest and reach higher numbers. I don‘t even believe there is enough space in Fremont to facilitate that. EM has to evacuate his bedroom there first.

The probability of Tesla reaching a sustainable production level of 5,000 M3 in this year is nearly zero imho. And even at that level they would be around break even only.
The figures suggest to me that 5,000 may be break-even at first, but even if pegged at this number, the costs will gradually reduce. But anyway...

And don‘t even think of 10,000. Even EM stopped talking about that number. And iirc at the cc Q4/2017 they said they are holding back capex for the next step to 10,000 so that it would take a long time to invest and reach higher numbers. I don‘t even believe there is enough space in Fremont to facilitate that. EM has to evacuate his bedroom there first.
This is simply factually incorrect. Elon may be wrong, it is prediction after all, but his last words on the 10,000 number were "no doubt at all". And holding back the investment until it is needed was always the plan.

I have been wondering a lot lately how TSLA would perform in a recession?
Recessions usually start when consumers lose confidence in the economy and slow or stop spending.
This causes company sales and profits to fall resulting in lower share prices. A secondary effect occurs when companies have to reduce prices due to increased competition in a shrinking market. This causes further share price decline and further loss of confidence.

Companies supplying essential services to governments or utilities etc usually do best in a recession as sales in these areas don’t suffer much. Banks and consumer discressionary usually do worst (you don’t need that loan and no you can’t have that dress, have to keep the car going another couple of years too).

So, what happens to TSLA?
Innitially with recessions SP of all companies fall. Some companies will go out of business while others will do OK. The SP of the OK batch of companies will rise as investors get better than expected earnings reports. You won’t see bull market valuations but the money will move from the going bust lot do the doing OK lot, who incidently, probably have real businesses producing real things.
TSLA falls into this latter category.
Tesla energy is a utility business supplying fuel for transport (electricity) and battery storage to other utilities and governments. This market will still exist in a recession.

Tesla Semi will prosper as transport is cut throat in a recession. Companies will look to cut any way they can in hard times,- Tesla Semi will rock.
What about the car business you ask?
Tesla has 500,000 orders for model 3 and large pent up demand for model Y. Worst case scenario. Tesla loses half its model 3 orders in a recession due to one reason or another. They would still have 250,000 orders and with some new orders continuing to flow in (even in a recession) Tesla would take another 2 years to clear the backlog.
In other words the Tesla Auto business would continue to grow strongly.
But the car market will be shrinking you say. Yes this is true. Legacy ICE
Car manufacturers will be decimated.
They will be hit with increased Tesla competition and a shrinking market.
TSLA margins will not suffer as demand will outstrip supply for many years to come.
What about other EV’s?
They are 10 years behind Tesla and will never catch up. Tesla has the batteries (with a new secret sauce it is rumoured), the best auto pilot IMO and the best overall tech running their cars. Not to mention their advanced manufacturing (they will get there)

Well, I’ staying long for 20 years, I can’t imagine a better company to sit out a recession with.

It depends on what the cause of the recession/depression is and what else is going on. Looking back at some previous downturns, entertainment tends to do well during economic hard times because people are looking to escape reality, especially cheap entertainment. During the Great Depression the movie industry boomed. In a future downturn, Netflix and Amazon might cut back on their production budgets for new content if they needed to, but they would still have lots of cheap entertainment to offer.

Heavy industry is more difficult to predict and a lot depends on what else is going on in technology at the time. During the Great Depression the car industry stayed afloat, but did belt tightening. My father's father was a factory foreman in a car parts factory (piston rings) and while they laid off people and everyone else took a paycut, the experienced people stayed employed, including my grandfather. My father was 9 when the Depression started and he was a lot less affected by it than my mother whose father was a welder in Los Angeles.

The Depression was a boom time for aircraft because it was also a time when new tech was coming along and it was the big new thing. Air travel was very expensive then, but Douglas and Boeing were in fierce competition to produce the best airliner and both made a lot of money off the competition. In the US there was very little military spending on aircraft until the very late 30s, the commercial and private market were driving everything.

Fast forward to the US recession of the 1970s. It was started by the wind down of the Vietnam War (reduced government spending on the military combined with former soldiers looking for work) combined with the US oil industry passing peak oil in some of the largest oil fields. Oil production became more expensive and quantity dropped. The US was forced to import oil for the first time which initially was very cheap from overseas. Turmoil in the US government combined with a national malaise also created some uncertainty and probably didn't help much. The US being the biggest economy in the world by a large margin, the rest of the world felt it too to some degree.

When OPEC found its strength and raised oil prices, it set off a spiral in the US. Inflation went nuts and there was panic about gasoline. Makers of gas guzzling big cars like the US Big 3 got hit hard. However, it opened the door for Japanese imports ready to exploit new markets. Americans bought Toyotas, Datsuns, and Hondas because they were cheaper to run than US cars, but found that small cars could actually be better than giant land yachts and Japanese quality was often better than cars from the Big 3.

It was boom time for Japanese car makers. They had a large market thirsty for their product, even though the economy in the US was bad.

In 2008, the causes of the crisis were different. It was greed on the US money markets and manufactured products that were unregulated the triggered the crash. Any company that relied on getting loans was hurt because there was no money to lend for a while. Companies that had enough cash to operate did OK. Especially tech companies a long ways from the core of the crisis (physically and metaphorically).

All of the US car companies were on shaky ground and two went bankrupt. Tesla was small and almost went out of business in 2008 because nobody was financing anything right after the crisis started and they needed financing to move on to the next stage, the Model S.

If an economic downturn was triggered by another financial crisis, Tesla might struggle, but it would probably survive. The roadmap might get stretched out as they slow down expansion and concentrate on sales. Even when times are bad, there are still enough people with money to keep a smallish car company afloat if their product is considered good.

If the economic downturn was instead caused by a major war in the Middle East, that would probably be a boon to Tesla. The US imports very little Middle East oil, but a drop in ME exports would cause shortages in Asia and Europe which in turn would put pressure on the foreign supplies of US oil and the US would feel the pain too. Just like the 1970s oil embargoes, people would flee from gas guzzlers to more economic cars. That would leave Tesla in the poll position as the maker of the most compelling alternative vehicles.

Tesla is also branching out into commercial vehicles which would also be a boom business as any company with trucks would be seeking cheaper ways to move goods.

If the economic downturn was due to a war on the Korean Peninsula or a crash of the Chinese economy, that would probably be initially very difficult for any company that makes or sells tech. A war in Korea would make flat screens unavailable. Korea makes something like 90% of the world's flat screens and most of that production is around Seoul. Seoul is within artillery range of the North Koreans and even if the war didn't turn nuclear and the North Koreans were quickly routed, Seoul would be trashed by a massive artillery barrage until the artillery was overrun by forces from the south. The city would likely be hit for several days and the North Koreans have had plenty of time to bore sight (pre-select targets) their artillery and they can hit the most valuable economic targets within range.

China's economy has become so deeply intertwined with the rest of the world almost everything of any complexity made in the world has parts made in China. A simple downturn of the Chinese economy would not cause significant hits to the rest of the world, but political turmoil might or more likely an environmental crisis could shut down Chinese production.

China has a ticking time bomb in its agricultural region. India has the same problem. Both countries have been feeding their people by irrigating their crops predominantly with ground water. During a drought, having ground water reserves is a good thing, it kept California going during its drought. However using fossil water on a large scale constantly is a bad idea for the long term. China is almost out of ground water in a large region of the country and just about every drop of surface water is claimed or contaminated.

Most industrial processes are more water intensive than agriculture, per acre. If China's water wells run dry, which will happen, quite possibly in the next 10 years, they will be forced to shut down water intensive factories to redirect water to agriculture. It will mean a short term massive shortage of parts for industry all over the world, but as industries adjust, it will turn into an economic boom for parts makers that start producing domestically again. Prices will go up because of the costs of restarting production in new places combined with higher labor costs, but the rest of the world's economies would recover stronger than we've seen coming out of a recession in a long time.

In the Korean War scenario, Tesla would be unable to produce cars for a while, but they wouldn't be alone. Nobody would. Tesla with its ties to Silicon Valley would likely be the first car company to secure an alternate source of parts. Being a lower volume car maker, they also would be able to get up to max volume quicker with a new supply.

In the Chinese crash scenario, Tesla would also take a short term hit, but they are very flexible about sourcing parts and any parts currently bought from China would be sourced from somewhere else very quickly. They probably would start making some parts themselves as they have done in the past. Again Tesla would be the first car maker to emerge from the economic downturn.

About the only likely scenario that really threatens Tesla would be another banking crisis. But that's the worst case scenario for most industries.

It depends ...

If the economic downturn was due to a war on the Korean Peninsula or a crash of the Chinese economy, that would probably be initially very difficult for any company that makes or sells tech....

About the only likely scenario that really threatens Tesla would be another banking crisis. But that's the worst case scenario for most industries.
@MacRocket

I disagree wdolson (respectfully), imo Tesla would benefit from all but the worst of economic downturns. Ironically to it's reputation, Tesla is probably one of the more recession proof companies out there (that said the stock price is very inflated so it would probably go down in the short-term). A recession would likely be a good long term thing for Tesla. All they would have to do is slow down R&D spending, probably make fewer s+x, and crank out as many low end M3 as they can. The reason being is that many people try to save money/cut expense during recession. So they get rid of their suv and get something economical, I remember seeing a bunch of hummers on my commute in 2006 to zero by 2009. Switching from a 4runner to a m3 could save many people a lot of money. It sounds weird given Tesla's high end reputation, but a low end model 3 with the tax credit comes it at the same price as a middle optioned Toyota Camry (I know because I'm trying to convince my Grandma to get a Tesla instead of a Camry). Plus it will drive itself eventually, plus you'll get to rent it out and make money off it. Plus if you have solar panels/batteries (furnished by Tesla of course) it will save money further, and all this while Tesla is eating up market share and many competitors would have uncontrolled losses like GM etc. So all in all, as a long-term investor, a recession or even a moderate depression would be good for Tesla (this is all assuming they continue to have good management), it would actually go right in line with their mission of accelerating sustainable transport and I would wager that the increase in low end model 3 sales would outweigh the decrease in higher end cars. Of course the stock market would not do well, but again with good management (and as it they appear to be doing now) they would slow growth to a point where there is zero need for capital raises, and the stock would do well based on consistent growth and earnings. If you told me I had to run a company through a recession or depression and I could pick the company, I'd probably pick a mutual fund or something and just short the market, but Tesla would be next on the list, maybe first if I was feeling energetic. If management gets complacent or in a really bad depression (probably would have to be worse than the Great Depression) all bets are off, but you'll probably have bigger things to worry about.

I can't find it at the moment, but there's a recent report on mistaken investment in fracking yet loans abound. When oil finally gives up the ghost that is sure to create a massive financial crash. There will be warnings of ghostly sightings some time in advance, but it could be short-lived, if you will forgive the word.

I can't find it at the moment, but there's a recent report on mistaken investment in fracking yet loans abound. When oil finally gives up the ghost that is sure to create a massive financial crash. There will be warnings of ghostly sightings some time in advance, but it could be short-lived, if you will forgive the word.

Here’s one:

The Secret of the Great American Fracking Bubble

Fracking is fairly old tech. It's been used in California since at least the 70s, probably earlier. However shale fracking is on a scale never seen in California. California's Geology is unique in the oil business. Reservoirs often have flow problems because of micro-faults running everywhere. Fracking there smooths out flow in the reservoir.

In shale, most of the oil and gas is locked up in the rocks and the rock needs to essentially be pulverized to get the oil out. That requires many times the fracking fluid which is very expensive in the first place, but has to be delivered to the well in tanker trucks, and then when they are done, the fluid needs to be pumped out, put back into trucks and carted off for disposal as hazardous waste.

Typical fracking in California takes 1-2 truck loads, but in shale country it could take 10 or more times that. That adds a lot of expense to each well. In many places shale oil is also deeper than most other oil fields and yield can be as low as 1% because even with fracking the permeability of the rock is poor.

The shale oil fields were developed with the belief that oil prices were going to stay over $100 a barrel forever, but when they dropped the financial viability of the whole project got iffy. We could see oil prices go back up over $100 a barrel here in the near future though.

@MacRocket

I disagree wdolson (respectfully), imo Tesla would benefit from all but the worst of economic downturns. Ironically to it's reputation, Tesla is probably one of the more recession proof companies out there (that said the stock price is very inflated so it would probably go down in the short-term). A recession would likely be a good long term thing for Tesla. All they would have to do is slow down R&D spending, probably make fewer s+x, and crank out as many low end M3 as they can. The reason being is that many people try to save money/cut expense during recession. So they get rid of their suv and get something economical, I remember seeing a bunch of hummers on my commute in 2006 to zero by 2009. Switching from a 4runner to a m3 could save many people a lot of money. It sounds weird given Tesla's high end reputation, but a low end model 3 with the tax credit comes it at the same price as a middle optioned Toyota Camry (I know because I'm trying to convince my Grandma to get a Tesla instead of a Camry). Plus it will drive itself eventually, plus you'll get to rent it out and make money off it. Plus if you have solar panels/batteries (furnished by Tesla of course) it will save money further, and all this while Tesla is eating up market share and many competitors would have uncontrolled losses like GM etc. So all in all, as a long-term investor, a recession or even a moderate depression would be good for Tesla (this is all assuming they continue to have good management), it would actually go right in line with their mission of accelerating sustainable transport and I would wager that the increase in low end model 3 sales would outweigh the decrease in higher end cars. Of course the stock market would not do well, but again with good management (and as it they appear to be doing now) they would slow growth to a point where there is zero need for capital raises, and the stock would do well based on consistent growth and earnings. If you told me I had to run a company through a recession or depression and I could pick the company, I'd probably pick a mutual fund or something and just short the market, but Tesla would be next on the list, maybe first if I was feeling energetic. If management gets complacent or in a really bad depression (probably would have to be worse than the Great Depression) all bets are off, but you'll probably have bigger things to worry about.

In a big recession like 2008, most people cut way back on big purchases. It also gets more difficult to get credit. Both of those hurt new cars sales worse than just about anything else. It is true a lot of gas guzzlers got off the road in the late naughts, but a lot of those SUVs were replaced with used cars, or the cheaper to run car the family already had became the main commuter car.

Over the last 20 years used cars have become an increasing threat to new car sales anyway. The quality of cars has improved quite a bit, making them last a lot longer. I drove a 1992 Buick for 24 years and it was still running fine when I sold it. A year or so back off lease sedans were going for far less than what they should because the used market was flooded with them. The used market has also become so robust because new cars cost a lot more than they used to and incomes for the bottom 80% of the income ladder aren't keeping up with inflation.

In a bad recession some people who in better times might buy an S or X might downgrade their ambition to a Model 3, but most people considering a Model 3 today would either keep their existing car, or buy a used Camry and live with it until their finances are more stable.

But like I said before, there are different triggers for recessions and those are going to affect the markets in different ways. A serious oil crisis would be boom time for EVs.

• Love
Reactions: imherkimer
In a big recession like 2008, most people cut way back on big purchases. It also gets more difficult to get credit. Both of those hurt new cars sales worse than just about anything else. It is true a lot of gas guzzlers got off the road in the late naughts, but a lot of those SUVs were replaced with used cars, or the cheaper to run car the family already had became the main commuter car.

Over the last 20 years used cars have become an increasing threat to new car sales anyway. The quality of cars has improved quite a bit, making them last a lot longer. I drove a 1992 Buick for 24 years and it was still running fine when I sold it. A year or so back off lease sedans were going for far less than what they should because the used market was flooded with them. The used market has also become so robust because new cars cost a lot more than they used to and incomes for the bottom 80% of the income ladder aren't keeping up with inflation.

In a bad recession some people who in better times might buy an S or X might downgrade their ambition to a Model 3, but most people considering a Model 3 today would either keep their existing car, or buy a used Camry and live with it until their finances are more stable.

But like I said before, there are different triggers for recessions and those are going to affect the markets in different ways. A serious oil crisis would be boom time for EVs.
All true but if you crunch the numbers, even in a mild depression Tesla will be able to increase model 3 sales, they only need to sell 200,000ish? a year to be profitable if they pull back on growth, and even during 2008 that was a small fraction of car sales. And to put that in perspective everybody from a luxury car owner down to a toyota camry owner is a potential buyer. Plus in a year or two you can factor in that people will be able to make money off renting their tesla.