Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would be intresting to know how much of the endprice is shipped as carpartsto europe, and to know if the battery is also shipped as a carpart, my guess is it is.
But I cant imagine that they manage to get on an overall rate of under 6.5% tax rate + the extra assemblyline in the netherlands.
The tradedeal would eliminate all that.
So it is infact very good news, and I surprised that all the hastle with the assembly line in netherlands so so proftable to worth doing it. Esp. Now when tesla has relativly low delivery volumes to europe excluding Norway.

would be intresting to know how much of the endprice is shipped as carpartsto europe, and to know if the battery is also shipped as a carpart, my guess is it is.
But I cant imagine that they manage to get on an overall rate of under 6.5% tax rate + the extra assemblyline in the netherlands.
The tradedeal would eliminate all that.
So it is infact very good news, and I surprised that all the hastle with the assembly line in netherlands so so proftable to worth doing it. Esp. Now when tesla has relativly low delivery volumes to europe excluding Norway.
Makes me wonder if this deal will result in Tesla shuttering their Netherlands assembly facility. Surely (aside from tax considerations) it's more costly to ship a partially assembled vehicle and parts than to ship a complete vehicle. Unlike Ikea furniture, the pieces are more voluminous than the finished product. Moreover, one nice thing about shipping completed cars is that you can move them by driving them. (There's a huge car import facility about 1/4 mile from my home.)

OTOH, Tesla would generate unwelcome publicity if it closed down the facility and laid off a bunch of workers. So my guess is that they'll continue as they have been.

Makes me wonder if this deal will result in Tesla shuttering their Netherlands assembly facility. Surely (aside from tax considerations) it's more costly to ship a partially assembled vehicle and parts than to ship a complete vehicle. Unlike Ikea furniture, the pieces are more voluminous than the finished product. Moreover, one nice thing about shipping completed cars is that you can move them by driving them. (There's a huge car import facility about 1/4 mile from my home.)

OTOH, Tesla would generate unwelcome publicity if it closed down the facility and laid off a bunch of workers. So my guess is that they'll continue as they have been.

Well, if they need European tweaks and a distribution center anyway, it probably won't hurt them much. Besides, they are looking to expand in the future. As long as it's not a huge burden, probably better to keep the trained workforce.

Tesla ships the Model S disassembled with motor, inverter and battery as "car parts". They pay 10% import tax for the "car" and 5% for "car parts" so they save 5% on the price of "car parts" whatever it is. But the sum seems big enough to go thru that hassle.
Point of clarification:
Do you think they ship the motor and inverter separately or together? I presumed they would ship the drive unit as one piece.

Meanwhile, in the world of journalism . . .

teslagas.jpg

OMFG
At first I thought its an the Onion article.

but here is that beauty
The Case for Tesla Making a Gasoline Car - TheStreet

Its even 3 pages long, not sure I will read it.

Next the will write an article how Apple should introduce a CD walkmans, showing stunning sales numbers from the 90s.
Actually I think Tesla really should use that opportunity and offer Horse buggies in there Tesla stores, I will email "The Street" with this brilliant idea.

Last edited:
Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

Meanwhile, in the world of journalism . . .

View attachment 43010

That's so wierd. I know it's not politically correct but man, this guy must be mentally retarded.

"What if Tesla made a gasoline car? At the moment, it's as unlikely as it gets, but imagine the value created if Tesla did it!"

Uhm, no.

That's so wierd. I know it's not politically correct but man, this guy must be mentally retarded.

Thats really not a nice thing to say Johan, that puts mentally retarded people in a very bad light.
This guy must be on some newage drugs or something.

Its just beyond my wildest imaginations how such people get to write article about Companies.

Thats really not a nice thing to say Johan, that puts mentally retarded people in a very bad light.
This guy must be on some newage drugs or something.

Its just beyond my wildest imaginations how such people get to write article about Companies.

Sorry if someone took offence. Smoking something or maybe just plain stupid would be better to say. Anyway that montage made me giggle. True facepalm.

"What if Tesla made a gasoline car? At the moment, it's as unlikely as it gets, but imagine the value created if Tesla did it!"

Uhm, no.
My reply to the article:
I completely agree with comments below that the premise of the article is silly: Tesla Motors isn't going to make cars that use petroleum.

This article makes the compelling case, however, that other auto manufacturers should rid themselves of the archaic franchise dealer network. The authors say that Tesla's direct-to-consumer approach is a corporate asset; another way to say that is that the franchise dealer networks are corporate liabilities of the 20th-century automakers.

Unfortunately, state laws protect these dealers at every turn, no doubt because the auto dealers are generous donors to political campaigns. Research done by Yale economists, though, shows that the friendlier a state's laws are to franchise dealer, the higher the price paid by consumers for their cars. Why is this no surprise?

I agree. I think it is sensible to say " As a thought experiment, suppose Tesla Model S cars were always just gasoline powered cars. Now imagine they used the showroom/direct model as they do now to sell these cars. Would we not perceive that as a remarkable, futuristic, customer-friendly innovation in and of itself? Isn't it all the more remarkable that people tend to undervalue that as a strategic asset of Tesla motors"

Was thinking about the article and this article is actually a "long" article.
The article states that the direct sales model is a key advantage Tesla has over its competitors.
That debunks the argument that Tesla is screwed if the other big manufacturer just start producing EVs and cut right into Teslas Margin.
So in a EV future Tesla will be the only one Car manufacturer in the US who can sell directly to customers.

I already knew that, but just funny that he points it out indirectly.