Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rather than start a new thread I'd like to ask:

long term storage: advice from tesla mechanic was to keep the battery at full charge (just below 100% trip charge) then have someone unplug and plug it back in weekly to keep it from "deep sleep" mode.

we came home from our last trip of 6 months away to a dead 12V battery, tow to dealer, new 12V battery. I would like to avoid this scene again, if possible. Tires seemed fine - no issue with them that I could tell.

rather than start a new thread I'd like to ask:

long term storage: advice from tesla mechanic was to keep the battery at full charge (just below 100% trip charge) then have someone unplug and plug it back in weekly to keep it from "deep sleep" mode.

we came home from our last trip of 6 months away to a dead 12V battery, tow to dealer, new 12V battery. I would like to avoid this scene again, if possible. Tires seemed fine - no issue with them that I could tell.
The advice I've had is to set the battery to 60% or so and leave it plugged in. This is what I did for a 6 week period last summer and car was fine. Charger would trigger when the battery lost 10 miles of range every 3-4 days.

The advice I've had is to set the battery to 60% or so and leave it plugged in. This is what I did for a 6 week period last summer and car was fine. Charger would trigger when the battery lost 10 miles of range every 3-4 days.

Same here for 2 months and outside (summer time). Start charge 3 times if I remember well.

Everything OK when back, but who know what will happen for few more months :

Untitled-t1.png

I'm about to be in the same situation as the OP and want to check to see if there's any new advice on this topic.

Based on what I've read, I plan to keep the charger plugged in with the charge limit set to 50% and not worry about trickle-charging the 12V battery separately. I still have the original tires on the car (with more than 35K miles on them) so I'm not worried about flat-spotting as much (since I'll probably replace the tires anyway when I'm done storing the car).