Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Trip - Chill or Sport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel otherwise. I use the chill mode a lot - we call it ‘children’ mode in my house. I find with Chill enabled it is like a long throw accelerator pedal such as on a TVR, just gives me a little more ease of finesse and stops my children feeling sick!

I would imagine, but untested theory, that it would give better range as less aggressive throttle actuations. Not sure if it affects cruise behaviours too? I might use it for a week of commuting as an experiment.

I used eco mode in my Ioniq as an attempt to save battery. It felt similar to chill mode in the Tesla.
To be honest, it never succeeded in improving range noticeably
On motorway trips, it made it worse, I’m sure.
I gave up with it in the end.
I too would just drive in normal mode but just more gently. It can be done, honest :rolleyes:

My wife uses Chill mode as she can't deal with (she blacks out) the acceleration in Sport, and so to save any accidents her profile is set to chill.

I did try it in Chill, but realised it was a faff to change to sport if I needed/wanted, and that as it only changes the pedal mapping (as far as I'm aware) there was no point. I'm not saying I can drive it quite as smoothly, but as I'm solo usually it doesn't matter overly.

If somehow it made the car more efficient, I might be tempted to use it more, but it at least serves it's purpose in my car, if just not for me.

All chill does is adjust the throttle response. It won't make it any more efficient than you simply pressing the accelerator slower/smoothly. Obviously if you struggle to do so then chill helps with that.
I’m pretty sure chill mode does more than just alter the throttle response. It also significantly reduces the amount of power on tap. That said, I have found no benefits in terms of range if you drive sensibly in both modes.

Most of my long range travel is in our S. I was bored during a long stretch on mostly straight, level highway. Structured experiments showed Autopilot delivered notably lower burn rate when car is in Chill mode. I will confess that was disappointing since the car is less fun.

Cabin heat is a big variable you can control. Use seat heater, dress warmly, set lower temperature. On one journey my wife, HVAC Queen, deigned to use a lap blanket and endure chilly ride so we could skip our last Supercharger stop on the way home.

When heat is on, net lowest Wh/mile may be at slightly higher speed. Faster journey means fewer hours using battery power to heat the occupants. That power can instead be used to overcome higher drag.

Ensure tire pressure is correct before setting out.

Most of my long range travel is in our S. I was bored during a long stretch on mostly straight, level highway. Structured experiments showed Autopilot delivered notably lower burn rate when car is in Chill mode. I will confess that was disappointing since the car is less fun.

Cabin heat is a big variable you can control. Use seat heater, dress warmly, set lower temperature. On one journey my wife, HVAC Queen, deigned to use a lap blanket and endure chilly ride so we could skip our last Supercharger stop on the way home.

When heat is on, net lowest Wh/mile may be at slightly higher speed. Faster journey means fewer hours using battery power to heat the occupants. That power can instead be used to overcome higher drag.

Ensure tire pressure is correct before setting out.
Good info that nick thanks

already noticed the difference with climate control on constantly just round the doors. Interesting point about using seat heaters too.
How would I avoid the Windows steaming up though? Not cracking a window open, too cold and noisy. When I flick AC off, Windows start to fog up.

How would I avoid the Windows steaming up though? Not cracking a window open, too cold and noisy. When I flick AC off, Windows start to fog up.
In winter I set temperature in the low 60s F. Mid to upper 70s for air conditioning in summer. That’s far lower burn rate.

We lived 8 years in Texas, outside Dallas. We set our thermostat to 78 or 79 in summer. The house felt comfortable to us. When Texas friends walked in, immediate reaction was, “Is your air conditioning broken?” Their attitude was, “If you don’t have to put on a light sweater to be comfortable inside, then your air has NOT been sufficiently conditioned!”

In winter I set temperature in the low 60s F. Mid to upper 70s for air conditioning in summer. That’s far lower burn rate.

We lived 8 years in Texas, outside Dallas. We set our thermostat to 78 or 79 in summer. The house felt comfortable to us. When Texas friends walked in, immediate reaction was, “Is your air conditioning broken?” Their attitude was, “If you don’t have to put on a light sweater to be comfortable inside, then your air has NOT been sufficiently conditioned!”

I lived in Florida for 12 years, but never understood why the locals would have the house at 60 degrees in summer and 80 in winter? Please enlighten?