Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long trip on one charge 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RecentlyI drove from Melbourne to Marlo on one charge.. This is 371 km. Carrying around 160kg equipment. I have 19" wheels.. Leaving Melb with 99% I arrived with 20% remaining.so with 5% remaining could have done 436km. Travelled at around 80-90 kph with tyres at 40 psi. Returned from Sydney with 400kg equipment but tyres at 50 psi and managed Gundagai SC to Euroa SC in one hit but speeds more like 100-110 kph on 6% remaining. For anyone asking the question..

Ill be doing another trip to Cairns this year via the inland route but Ill be taking my Cycloconverter Honda gen set just in case of 0 km remaining. Charges at 12A & weighs 32kg.

No need mate, Queensland's coast is now plastered with Chademo/CSS chargers. Spaced more than long enough for a 85kw tesla to drive over the speedlimit (which you wont do because of our shitty roads).

up till sunny coast you'll have superchargers anyway.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Electric-Vehicle-Super-Highway-map-copy.jpg

oops: didnt see you meant inland route. im actually quite interested to see how that works out as i will probably have to do a few inland trips which might need range extension when my model 3 gets here next year. Fuel consumption looks a bit grim for this though and 3kw really isnt that fast. 6kw would be where it starts to get interesting....
Electric-Vehicle-Super-Highway-map-copy.jpg9

Last edited:
To test eco driving techniques I drove from Ballarat to Landsborough Vic (where I had to check a house we rent out) about 90ks using pulse & coast (motor in neutral) AMAP and got 13.3 kWhrs per 100k. This means 80kWhrs for 600ks which is of interest because Id like to drive from Emerald to Townsville in one hit.

To test eco driving techniques I drove from Ballarat to Landsborough Vic (where I had to check a house we rent out) about 90ks using pulse & coast (motor in neutral) AMAP and got 13.3 kWhrs per 100k. This means 80kWhrs for 600ks which is of interest because Id like to drive from Emerald to Townsville in one hit.

What was your average speed for the trip and elevation drop to Landsborough?

Emerald to Townsville looks un-explored as far as electric vehicles go, sounds like an exciting trip. You're only going to get 76kwh max out of the 85D battery, thats 127wh/km over 600kms, would need to average 55kms an hour if the road surface is fairly smooth plus no head winds. Clermont and Charters Towers are on route so a definate option to discover a 3 phase outlet, there's also a roadhouse at Belyando crossing for an emergency 15amp charge.
Looking forward to hearing more about the trip.