Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I monitored the 12v battery voltage during an OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I could swipe up and kill it so the car wouldn’t see the phone

In addition, this doesn’t work, since the car doors will still open even if you are not running the app.

Looks like your car is sleeping normally! No problems with TeslaFi for sure it seems.

This battery monitor method seems it is a great way to determine whether apps are interfering with sleep (assuming your battery is good), if nothing else.

It is very quantitative!

My car is sleeping like a champ! Nothing wrong with the 12V at all! Next up, after a day, I will re-enable apps to figure out which one was causing the problem. I suspect ABRP (which I had forgotten about) since I disabled Stats before, with no effect.

As I said, this 12V monitor is a great device for monitoring sleep performance (how often, how long, etc.)

F5DB0CF7-678D-4224-A885-69B8CB93382F.png

My car is sleeping like a champ! Nothing wrong with the 12V at all! Next up, after a day, I will re-enable apps to figure out which one was causing the problem. I suspect ABRP (which I had forgotten about) since I disabled Stats before, with no effect.

As I said, this 12V monitor is a great device for monitoring sleep performance (how often, how long, etc.)

View attachment 602925

Car ended up sleeping all day! It appears that the rate of discharge is perhaps slower than I thought - or a greater depth of discharge is allowed. Going 24 hours without waking up is impressive.

With this baseline, going to re-enable Stats and see what happens...

42B3864A-B2DC-487D-A41A-B92992025BA1.png

Car ended up sleeping all day! It appears that the rate of discharge is perhaps slower than I thought - or a greater depth of discharge is allowed. Going 24 hours without waking up is impressive.

With this baseline, going to re-enable Stats and see what happens...

View attachment 603344

Determined that Stats is the problem. When I enable it and log in, the car goes nuts, waking up and sleeping frequently. I've sent them a request to see if they can tell me what is up.

Pretty sure it hasn't always been this way.

Determined that Stats is the problem. When I enable it and log in, the car goes nuts, waking up and sleeping frequently. I've sent them a request to see if they can tell me what is up.

Pretty sure it hasn't always been this way.

The "problem" with all these apps is that the API doesn't have a way to tell the car that it is OK to go to sleep. What I think they all do is guess when the car might try to sleep, then the app stops polling for some period of time (15 min?). After that time, the app will start polling again. If the car is asleep it will say so. If the car did not sleep and is awake, it will again start responding and the loop continues.

The apps all want to be polling most of the time so that they can catch the first minute that you drive off.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
In regards to the companion app to that hardware above, I use the Google Android version of the app. Some have seen high battery usage. I did for a day until I turned all notifications off within the apps settings (leaving BT foreground). I also then changed the Android OS options to not let the app run in the background.

ASIDE: I really wish we could download the data from this app but I found no place it was being stored. If there are more tech folks then please look. Other apps save a 'database' of their collected info. It is probably there somewhere but in a compressed format or something.

support . google . com page: Keep adaptive battery & battery optimization on - Nexus Help

Check that battery optimization is on for each app
Important: If you turn off battery optimization for an app, that app can run more while you're not using it, even when adaptive battery is on. This can use more battery than needed.
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps & notifications
    WD3LKKej34vq3cZXwilgeahIPOiokN2uarmkDxtMqKMFg4SSys8BkOBJbn4_4R930gE=h18
    Advanced
    Special app access
    Battery optimization.
  3. If an app is listed as “Not optimized,” tap the app
    Optimize
    Done.
Tip: Battery optimization isn’t available for some essential services.

Results on my Pixel XL 2.
tL9n1a8.jpg

vN6xG8x.jpg

@AlanSubie4Life Yesterday I installed the bluetooth BM2 on the 12 volt battery. Works great. The car slept for 18 hours from 2pm yesterday till 8 am today. Car awoke on its own and then went back to sleep. Battery was at 12.6v when it woke up.

I also use the Stats app. Will watch the battery graph for a few days to see if it wakes up often like your car did with Stats app running.

My battery is the original and just had its 2 year birthday.

IMG_0702.PNG

IMG_0701.PNG

@AlanSubie4Life Yesterday I installed the bluetooth BM2 on the 12 volt battery. Works great. The car slept for 18 hours from 2pm yesterday till 8 am today. Car awoke on its own and then went back to sleep. Battery was at 12.6v when it woke up.

I also use the Stats app. Will watch the battery graph for a few days to see if it wakes up often like your car did with Stats app running.

My battery is the original and just had its 2 year birthday.

View attachment 612059

View attachment 612051

Interesting that yours is not constantly waking up (I saw this happen right away when Stats was enabled.) I will have to play around with Stats configuration. Do you the Apple Watch app for Stats? As I said before, I swear this was not always happening with Stats. So I wonder if it was a temporary bug. Right now I just have Stats turned off so at least I know the car can be normal.