Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got 75 - 100Ah batteries; I choose to use the word "small" also in respect to its physical size. It's a shade larger than one I have in my lawn mower.
Edit: Load shed comment - Pre-firmware patch due to cars LA monitoring and putting a load shed on the LV battery. This was the original issue post a Tesla Software patch.

Is this all solved? I doubt it. Firmware patches leave some room for adjustment. Can the BMS cope? Sounds like you're a no. I'm a leaning no as I just don't see a path past the internal monitoring to your point a Lead Acid != LifePo4. And you'll be in a never ending battle with software patches.

Even simple things like animated lights if you opt to buy them can be completely wiped out by a software update that changes the blinker intervals.
And a software update can render so many other things like a auto-frunk less useful - like not letting you hit "open" in the app anymore to close the frunk.

It's going to be fun times deviating with anything in a Tesla ✅

Its all right in front of me:
View attachment 972770View attachment 972772

Is anyone with Ohmmu's latest V4+ BMS firmware and somewhat recent Tesla firmware actually seeing the replace 12V errors anymore? Or is just the concern that they'll likely pop up prematurely again eventually, or that you'll damage the car's PCS, or simply just too much headache over the LA behavior? I've been very tempted to try the V4+ I've had sitting in my garage since 2022, but I'm still not seeing any compelling reason to do so (except of course if my existing LA dies and I'm in a pinch to get another 12V in...)

Is anyone with Ohmmu's latest V4+ BMS firmware and somewhat recent Tesla firmware actually seeing the replace 12V errors anymore? Or is just the concern that they'll likely pop up prematurely again eventually, or that you'll damage the car's PCS, or simply just too much headache over the LA behavior? I've been very tempted to try the V4+ I've had sitting in my garage since 2022, but I'm still not seeing any compelling reason to do so (except of course if my existing LA dies and I'm in a pinch to get another 12V in...)
I’m on 2023.7.30. No errors in Notifications or in service mode. If install, update the batteries software.

• Helpful
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
No issues so far but Oct 15 or so I’ll probably pull it for winter as I don’t have the heater element.

• Helpful
I’m on 2023.7.30. No errors in Notifications or in service mode. If install, update the batteries software.
OK, BT updated to app's latest BMS firmware (for Model 3) and installed the Ohmmu V4+ after having been back on a LA 12V for nearly a year. Vehicle is on FW 2023.7.30 as well. Will report back if/when I run into any unusual 12V issues. We have fairly mild winters here in Silicon Valley so I'll keep it in car through winter even without a 12V batt heater to see how I fare...

OK, BT updated to app's latest BMS firmware (for Model 3) and installed the Ohmmu V4+ after having been back on a LA 12V for nearly a year. Vehicle is on FW 2023.7.30 as well. Will report back if/when I run into any unusual 12V issues. We have fairly mild winters here in Silicon Valley so I'll keep it in car through winter even without a 12V batt heater to see how I fare...
Great. Behavior will be 6 hours of initialization. Then more normal behavior. Discharge to start followed by charging back to 100%. In a few days it will discharge at about 25 amps at first gradually slowing to about 1 amp when at 13.04v. May go to 12.9. That will be 19-20% and is normal. After a bit it will charge back to full. It does that weekly or so I call it a battery integrity check. I've seen this several times now no notifications or messages. As long as no messages are generated just let it run down and back up. Cold weather charging happens below 35-40f where the car trickles at .01-.04 Amps and the cold battery wont take the charge unless higher amps. If in a garage or more moderate temps should be a none issue.

• Helpful
Not sure if this impacts this thread?

or3XqtU.jpg

• Informative
It is just to set the type of lead acid so that it can properly maintain the battery.
ahhh yeah you are right :(

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
If you have this software version installed, please post what is shown when selecting "Change Battery Type". Asking for many friends.
Sorry. I just saw it in an article. Looks like it may just be for the type of lead acid.

K06PUN2.jpg

Sorry. I just saw it in an article. Looks like it may just be for the type of lead acid.

K06PUN2.jpg
Could be. The release note above references Model 3/Y. The batteries above look like Model S but not sure. Will have wait. Some of the deep cycle batteries above are AGM.

The above for sure is a Model S. Model 3's don't use that bracketry, and at least in the USA, have only ever come with black batteries.

Plus, if you look in the Model 3 service menu before this, it had a battery type, and it was just "lead acid." Not a specific model.

Could be. The release note above references Model 3/Y. The batteries above look like Model S but not sure. Will have wait. Some of the deep cycle batteries above are AGM.
Looking at the service manual, it appears the choice is between a Clarios (VARTA) 12 volt or the Atlas 12 volt for configuration. The Varta I don't think is sold in the US. They give the owner the option of swapping between the 2 batteries. Both are 45AH but the Varta is lower CCA. Will have to wait to see when the update arrives (could be a while for those of us with FSD 11.4.7). Meanwhile 3.5 weeks in the Ohmmu continues to run with no warnings or messages in either the Notifications or Service alerts in service mode. It performs as it should.will be looking for the heated version this winter.

I'm not free to share too much, but I will just leave these here for those following this thread and thus - potentially interested...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920_200913_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    Screenshot_20230920_200913_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20230920_200640_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    Screenshot_20230920_200640_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    295 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230920_200645_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    Screenshot_20230920_200645_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20230920_200847_XiaoXiangElectric.png
    Screenshot_20230920_200847_XiaoXiangElectric.png