Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a drag strip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thenaimis

Former Tesla Cheerleader
Sep 26, 2016
Texas
I'd like to take my S out to a drag strip in Texas for a few runs and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Specifically I'm looking for a 1/4 mile strip (no interest in 1/8 mi), preferably relatively close to a supercharger and the closer to Austin, the better. I'd thought about using Lonestar Motorsports but hadn't found any rules or contact information. The contact link on their page gives an address and map only - it'd be a long drive only to find out that they require a helmet or some such.

Where should I go, what should I have, and what should a complete newbie be aware of going in?

The Little River Dragway is mostly an eighth-mile facility, but they allow quarter-mile runs at their "Open Test and Tune" sessions on Fridays. They are just south of Temple, TX.

I took my Model S60 there back in February of 2013; it did the 1/4 mile in 13.94 seconds and 97.91 mph. A helmet was not required.

John

Reactions: thenaimis
San Antonio Raceway in Seguin may be a good option. Supercharge in San Marcos and then it is just a short drive to the track. According to the Tesla site there are three 8kw Tesla connectors there as well.

I have raced here a couple times and I helped them get the HPWCs. It's about 30 miles from the San Marcos superchargers to SAR. If you take it easy, you could probably top the battery off in an hour or so. There are 3 HPWCs next to the gas pumps closely packed together and I want to say they gave me about 26 mi/hr or so.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it is a 1/4 mi drag strip and they often have Test n Tunes on Friday nights, maybe even Saturday nights.

Last edited:
The strip website should list the requirements. I showed up wearing shorts and they would not let me run. They may have a watered area for burnouts to heat tires, you probably want to drive around that to keep your tires dry. On a gas car you launch when the last yellow light comes on, the Tesla not have the lag time of popping the clutch. Also depends on whether the light are LED or incandescent. I learned on incandescent and the leds are much faster lighting up. After you make a couple of passes, park and open the "hood" to let the "engine" cool off and to show it off like the ICE guys do..... Should get plenty of double takes and some Tesla moments.