Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Model 3 now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen lots of speculation that there is an NDA. I've heard rumors of a "friend-DA." I've not seen a single person say that they actually had to sign one (and several family member owners have specifically said that they didn't sign an NDA).

There is an NDA. supposed (seeking alpha) NDA for all model 3 buyers/owners | Tesla
It may not be officially called an "NDA" (perhaps 'buyer's agreement' or something like that), but when you can lose your job over breaking the "buyer's agreement", it might as well be called an NDA.

Plus, first rule of NDA Club is "Don't talk about NDA club".

Your proof of an NDA is a forum post referencing Seeking Alpha? How about this? #47

If there is no NDA/"Buyer's agreement"/Frien-DA/whatever you want to call it, why are there no substantive reviews from actual owners?
There was an "outsider" review by Doug Demuro, but the owner of that Model 3 got fired! If there is no NDA, why is that employee getting fired?

If there is no NDA/"Buyer's agreement"/Frien-DA/whatever you want to call it, why are there no reviews from actual owners?
There was an "outsider" review by Doug Demuro, but the owner of that Model 3 got fired! If there is no NDA, why is that employee getting fired?
I've seen several reviews by owners (again, see PTFI on M3OC). I've also seen that video, which references a "rumor" that the employee was fired. No idea if that is true or not.

In terms of actual proof, we have some circumstantial evidence, some hearsay, and an actual owner who has said he didn't have to sign an NDA.

I've seen several reviews by owners (again, see PTFI on M3OC). I've also seen that video, which references a "rumor" that the employee was fired. No idea if that is true or not.

In terms of actual proof, we have some circumstantial evidence, some hearsay, and an actual owner who has said he didn't have to sign an NDA.
TMOC review indicates that there are NDA's. Why wouldn't there be one. The model 3 ISN'T public yet.

It's is some quazi selling to trial people....can't be re-sold for profit NDA type weird state.

To me...once the first fully NON NDA'd car hits the street....then its public. Looks like somewhere in 2018. July to Dec 2017 is out of the question.

Like this car. 2018 Dodge Demon begins shipping to dealers nationwide
They say its going public and indeed it will ontime.

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone that wants to kick the gas habit badly enough to waste money on trying to buy and re-sell a Leaf. Do you know what the re-sale value of a leaf is going to be once the Model 3 hits the market?

Kicking the gas habit is just one of the perks of getting a Model 3. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the people want to get a model 3 more than they just want an EV otherwise they would have already gotten a leaf or a bolt or some other piece of garbage car - like you did. Do you think reservation holders are oblivious to the leaf and the bolt....which is why they aren't buying any?

I think the ONLY reasons people are waiting in line to buy the Model 3 are that they are Tesla fanboys/fangirls like me, or they want an EV and believe the Model 3 will be the best EV they can afford. Nobody who is equally happy with an EV or a stinker is going to be in line for a Model 3 today. It's an unknown car whose price is justified only by being electric. People want it because it's electric.

Buying a Bolt today would mean buying a new car, with the depreciation that entails. The appearance of the Model 3 will not significantly affect the value of a used Leaf because they are so far apart in price that they're not addressing the same market. The Leaf is not garbage. It's an electric econobox, and a used one is a good fit for someone who is looking at a year's wait for a 3 and wants to quit burning gas now.

Your argument that someone who thinks the way I do would have already taken the advice I gave, assumes that everyone who wants to kick gas made that decision several years ago.

I think the ONLY reasons people are waiting in line to buy the Model 3 are that they are Tesla fanboys/fangirls like me, or they want an EV and believe the Model 3 will be the best EV they can afford. Nobody who is equally happy with an EV or a stinker is going to be in line for a Model 3 today. It's an unknown car whose price is justified only by being electric. People want it because it's electric.

Buying a Bolt today would mean buying a new car, with the depreciation that entails. The appearance of the Model 3 will not significantly affect the value of a used Leaf because they are so far apart in price that they're not addressing the same market. The Leaf is not garbage. It's an electric econobox, and a used one is a good fit for someone who is looking at a year's wait for a 3 and wants to quit burning gas now.

Your argument that someone who thinks the way I do would have already taken the advice I gave, assumes that everyone who wants to kick gas made that decision several years ago.

Yep....yet 400,000+ people got in line to buy the Model 3 at the same time that a leaf and a volt, etc. were available.

Last edited:
Yep....yet 400,000+ people got in line to buy the Model 3 at the same time that a leaf and a volt, etc. were available.

Because they felt the Model 3 was going to be a better car. And they were willing to wait. But among those 400,000, now 500,000, there may be a few who would like an EV, any EV, to drive in the interim. I've never said everybody on the waiting list should buy a used Leaf. Someone expressed an intense desire to get into a Model 3 now, and a willingness to pay many thousands of dollars to do so, and I suggested that that person could get into an EV in the interim while waiting for their Model 3, for much less money than they said they were willing to pay.

You and I clearly have very different opinions about the Nissan Leaf. I've driven one. It's no Tesla, but it's a decent car, and holding a used one for a year would not cost all that much. If there were 6-year-old used Bolts to be had as cheaply as used Leafs, I might suggest that as well, though having never driven a Bolt I'd be going on hearsay. But there aren't. The Leaf represents the lowest-cost option for a decent short-term temporary electric car.

Your assumptions are simply incorrect, and I am proof. I’m buying the car primarily for autopilot (as it is now, not the alleged upcoming features... though those will be nice if they happen). The EV stuff is just an ancillary benefit.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner

Your assumptions are simply incorrect, and I am proof. I’m buying the car primarily for autopilot (as it is now, not the alleged upcoming features... though those will be nice if they happen). The EV stuff is just an ancillary benefit.
I'm in the same boat. I stood in line because it was a Tesla, electric, and would be a cool car with pretty advanced tech. I've still got my reservation because I test drove an S and it was awesome but the best part of it was the tech, including autopilot. If there were another car out there with the same advanced tech features, ICE or not, that was less money, and looked good, I'd be seriously looking at it.

The EV part has a lot of different supporters because of:
- Quiet driving
- Fast acceleration
- Clean

And then there is the tech features:
- EAP/FSD
- UI
- simple, futuristic dashboard (all be it this can also be a problem for some)

And also general stuff like the looks and cargo space

This makes the M3 tick a lot of boxes. For me all elements are attractive. I couldn't single out one or two. It is the whole package.