Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Tesla, but why have these not sold yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been in the market for the low end of a Tesla MS (Under $45k) and I keep seeing these on autotrader, cars, car gurus, etc. My question is why have they not sold like I see all of the others under $45k on here go like butter??

1. Used 2013 Tesla Model S Signature

2. Used 2013 Tesla Model S Signature

3. Used 2013 Tesla Model S

4. Used 2013 Tesla Model S Signature

5. Used 2013 Tesla Model S Signature

6. Used 2013 Tesla Model S

Thanks for your input! Looking forward to understanding this :)

Sorry not answering why those aren’t selling (maybe accidents or poor markets to sell in), maybe model 3 is taking away the S glamour / shine.

I say patience for a few months will have anyone wanting an old S will have some great price options, prices will drop heavily by summer on the older models. Tesla sold close to 200k cars over 6 years. 60% of those in US/~120k S and X vehicles (mostly S). Call it 80k-90k model S on the road and 1/2 of them are pre auto pilot. That leaves 40k-45k US owners who might have put down $1k for a new model 3 and ready to shed their older model S now. Even if it’s only 2% of the 40k owners (what if it is 5% or 10%), at 2% that’s 800 S units hitting the market in Q1 and Q2 as they ramp up production of 3 across North America and empty out the owner queue for SR/AWD options on the 3.

I’d guess a lot of those 5-6 year old S60s, with higher miles, will go from low to high 20s by summer/fall.

Last edited:
They out out warranty, 4 years, I bet none bought extended warranty. I got my 13 right after it went out of 4 yr warranty , very cheap. If you are a good mechanic, you can fix some of the stuff that breaks. And, you have to be watchful of B'S out of service center. Everyone I talked to is scared of out of warranty cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
So I have been in the market for the low end of a Tesla MS (Under $45k) and I keep seeing these on autotrader, cars, car gurus, etc. My question is why have they not sold like I see all of the others under $45k on here go like butter??

I see those as great deals, you have to know and be ok with what you are buying, pre AP, possibly pre parking sensors and the issues that the 2013's have, rattles/noise MCU screen issues ect. Personally I am waiting another 3yrs to buy a second used pre facelift Model S circa 2015/2016 production. Milage is of no concern for me when buying one of these cars, they are like boats and like to be used, not parked and hardly driven.

One big reason is lack of AP. A lot of people see AP as one of Tesla's biggest appeals. I just came into Tesla recently, and I was looking for a used MS, wouldn't even bothering looking at 2013 because no AP. As mentioned above, most are also out of warranty. If AP isn't a big issue for you, then a 2013 is a steal.

1. This listing only has two pictures and not very detailed information.

2. Only 60 kWh. No configuration information listed. Not sure if this is the original owner.

3. Only 60 kWh. Looks like a reasonable car, but being sold by a dealership. No option for extended service agreement.

4. Ad starts with Ice cold A/C. Enough said. But going on to say more, it only has two pictures and the driver's seat foam is flat on the left bolster. Only 60 kWh.

5. Only one picture. No configuration details. Not even sure what battery it has.

6. This one looks to be the best deal of the bunch even though it has the highest miles.

To me, it's important to have lots of good quality pictures in an Autotrader ad. It's also important to accurately list all of the vehicle's features. Without this information, many buyers will just skip over the ads and move onto ones that have more complete information.

I'm not knocking the 60, either. I think they're good cars for people who understand the range limitations, especially in cold weather. But as a previous poster mentioned, it's hard to justify the price of some of these used Model Ses when the Model 3 is right around the corner.

They out out warranty, 4 years, I bet none bought extended warranty. I got my 13 right after it went out of 4 yr warranty , very cheap. If you are a good mechanic, you can fix some of the stuff that breaks. And, you have to be watchful of B'S out of service center. Everyone I talked to is scared of out of warranty cars.

Is the extended warranty is transferable to the new owner? Do you have to buy the extended warranty before the original warranty times out, or is there a grace period?

the original owner can extend the warranty, I see that as the biggest plus of buying used from a private party. i bought a no-ap CPO 2013 recently and the warranty was a main concern I had.

i will buy another one in the spring as AP isn't a big deal to me. someday i'll want it though.

Sorry not answering why those aren’t selling (maybe accidents or poor markets to sell in), maybe model 3 is taking away the S glamour / shine.

I say patience for a few months will have anyone wanting an old S will have some great price options, prices will drop heavily by summer on the older models. Tesla sold close to 200k cars over 6 years. 60% of those in US/~120k S and X vehicles (mostly S). Call it 80k-90k model S on the road and 1/2 of them are pre auto pilot. That leaves 40k-45k US owners who might have put down $1k for a new model 3 and ready to shed their older model S now. Even if it’s only 2% of the 40k owners (what if it is 5% or 10%), at 2% that’s 800 S units hitting the market in Q1 and Q2 as they ramp up production of 3 across North America and empty out the owner queue for SR/AWD options on the 3.

I’d guess a lot of those 5-6 year old S60s, with higher miles, will go from low to high 20s by summer/fall.

Thank you for your insightful feedback!

Interesting. So, from here on I will try to speak with each owner about extending the warranty.

Even with a wait, why would someone buy a used, high mileage, out of warranty Model S for nearly the same price they would pay for a brand new Model 3 after all the credits? For free Supercharging??!!! Not likely!

I get where you are coming from. I personally have not reserved a model 3 yet and also do not see the $35k price as an attainable number. Maybe I am wrong. The other problem is that it would take a year or so if I reserved today, so I may as well buy one of these for the year then sell it off. Thoughts?

I see those as great deals, you have to know and be ok with what you are buying, pre AP, possibly pre parking sensors and the issues that the 2013's have, rattles/noise MCU screen issues ect. Personally I am waiting another 3yrs to buy a second used pre facelift Model S circa 2015/2016 production. Milage is of no concern for me when buying one of these cars, they are like boats and like to be used, not parked and hardly driven.

Totally get your point of view and couldn't agree more.

One big reason is lack of AP. A lot of people see AP as one of Tesla's biggest appeals. I just came into Tesla recently, and I was looking for a used MS, wouldn't even bothering looking at 2013 because no AP. As mentioned above, most are also out of warranty. If AP isn't a big issue for you, then a 2013 is a steal.

Ya honestly, AP was a big deal in the beginning, but I hope to even just get into a Tesla at this point. I currently drive a chevy volt and totally see the value add for battery operated vehicles...now I want to transfer to the full thing!

1. This listing only has two pictures and not very detailed information.

2. Only 60 kWh. No configuration information listed. Not sure if this is the original owner.

3. Only 60 kWh. Looks like a reasonable car, but being sold by a dealership. No option for extended service agreement.

4. Ad starts with Ice cold A/C. Enough said. But going on to say more, it only has two pictures and the driver's seat foam is flat on the left bolster. Only 60 kWh.

5. Only one picture. No configuration details. Not even sure what battery it has.

6. This one looks to be the best deal of the bunch even though it has the highest miles.

To me, it's important to have lots of good quality pictures in an Autotrader ad. It's also important to accurately list all of the vehicle's features. Without this information, many buyers will just skip over the ads and move onto ones that have more complete information.

I'm not knocking the 60, either. I think they're good cars for people who understand the range limitations, especially in cold weather. But as a previous poster mentioned, it's hard to justify the price of some of these used Model Ses when the Model 3 is right around the corner.

I just realized those were 60...I think I would like to focus on 85 accounting for degradation. Great insight on the listing info though!

There's a butt for every seat, so its not really about high mileage or lack of AP. Those are good points, but people are will to concede those for a lower sales price. It's really because the price is too high. A 2013 with no AP should be in the upper $30k range. If you are willing to pay low $40k you can get a 2014 MS60 CPO from Tesla with a full 4 year / 50 K mile warranty starting from the date/mileage you buy it. If you aren't already, you need to contact an OA at Tesla that covers your area. If you don't know who that is, call the closest Tesla SC or storefront and ask who to talked to about buying a CPO. They cover a regional market.

Last edited:
There's a butt for every seat, so its not really about high mileage or lack of AP. Those are good points, but people are will to concede those for a lower sales price. It's really because the price is too high. A 2013 with no AP should be in the upper $30k range. If you are willing to pay low $40k you can get a 2014 MS60 CPO from Tesla with a full 4 year / 50 K mile warranty starting from the date/mileage you buy it. If you aren't already, you need to contact an OA at Tesla that covers your area. If you don't know who that is, call the closest Tesla SC or storefront and ask who to talked to about buying a CPO. They cover a regional market.

Great advice! I will call one now!

Great advice! I will call one now!

Interesting, the Tesla Used CPO Inventory webpage shows, one car. That can't be right, can it?

Used Inventory | Tesla