TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for High Power Wall Connector Installation Manual (with dimensions)

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by jordanthompson, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

I am considering installing a HPWC for my Roadster, but want to make sure I have enough wall space before I buy it. Does anyone have the manual they can post? I am specifically looking for the dimensions of the box itself as well as the cable holder. I also would like to know how the cable from the fuse box connects to the HPWC.

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

3. jordanthompson

4. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Sorry, I thought HPWC = Model S, Did not realize they called it the same thing for the Roadster.

5. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

6. jordanthompson

7. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

8. jordanthompson

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That was my understanding as well: HPWC for S, HPC for Roadster. But that might be "old naming" or something. The store now has "Roadster High Power Wall Connector" listed (i.e. not "Roadster HPC"), for $1950.

Code:
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/high-power-connector
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/high-power-wall-connector
    Interesting that the link for the Roadster one is missing the word "wall". This suggests that our impression of a rename is likely accurate, or it's just incredibly coincidental.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Clipper Creek unit is mechanically (but not electrically) identical to the Roadster HPC. (I have both and can absolutely confirm this is the case.)

Here is an excerpt from the CS-90 manual:

Installation.png

11. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I got the Tesla HPC charger when I bought a used roadster (back in December) but didn't get any manual with it.
    Did either one of you downloaded the installation PDF from Tesla's site at the time?
    If so, could you make it available to me?
    This link from Tesla's webarchive doesn't work anymore :-(
    Thanks!

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pretty sure I've got a PDF, but I won't be able to check until Thursday. If no one else pops up with one, fire me a PM on Thursday and I'll look for it (don't send it now because I'll forget by then!).

13. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

14. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

No problem - will leave it there if anyone else needs it. I have no idea where I originally found it when I was installing my HPC.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

AltPowr, thanks very much for providing that PDF. On the Tesla website page for the Roadster HPC at Shop Tesla Gear Roadster High Power Wall Connector there is an "Installation Manual" link that points to http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/display_data/home_connector_installation.pd but the link doesn't work for me.

So the Roadster HPC is actually made by Clipper Creek, based on the cover of the manual. Interesting.

16. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

There were two versions of the HPC; one made by Tesla and one made by Clipper Creek.

17. glight2000

glight2000 Member

Can someone please repost the manual for the Roadster High Power Wall Charger?

18. glight2000

glight2000 Member

I also just bought a used roadster that came with the old roadster HPWC. If anyone has a copy of the installation manual, I'd be most grateful. The other links are no longer working.

19. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I do not have the book but it is quite straight forward. One cable of three wires, a ground and two power wires. I would use 6 gauge and attach to a 90 amp breaker.