Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for VP level contact, Tesla Energy, issues with PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seattle area: Ordered aug 2020, installed nov and dec 2020 (additional gateway to pass city inspection). 6 months after installation and payment, still no PTO. I had called Tesla many times and so many emails with them and PSE to sort out the mistake Tesla made in its design diagram/installation and PSE's requirement of AC/DC. What I found is that Tesla internal process is completely screwed up -- PM keeps changing, different team works in silo w/o full picture, and they don't know how to sync up.

Anyone knows how to escalate it so that Tesla can get its act together?

Seattle area: Ordered aug 2020, installed nov and dec 2020 (additional gateway to pass city inspection). 6 months after installation and payment, still no PTO. I had called Tesla many times and so many emails with them and PSE to sort out the mistake Tesla made in its design diagram/installation and PSE's requirement of AC/DC. What I found is that Tesla internal process is completely screwed up -- PM keeps changing, different team works in silo w/o full picture, and they don't know how to sync up.

This is really ridiculous! I'm sure that Tesla has their money from you long ago. Payment in full shouldn't be required UNTIL they submit PTO and PTO docs are accepted. I'm going on month 2 waiting for PTO to be submitted ... very frustrating. The only thing I can think of is to go to Oregon Consumer Protection board and file a complaint as Tesla is not completing the service which was paid for. I paid for my installation on my credit card and will go that route if my PTO gets dragged out. Fortunately, I have PWs and have been able to run off grid, but it's a hassle for me to monitor battery level to insure that they don't drain seeing as I'm using AC.

This is really ridiculous! I'm sure that Tesla has their money from you long ago. Payment in full shouldn't be required UNTIL they submit PTO and PTO docs are accepted. I'm going on month 2 waiting for PTO to be submitted ... very frustrating. The only thing I can think of is to go to Oregon Consumer Protection board and file a complaint as Tesla is not completing the service which was paid for. I paid for my installation on my credit card and will go that route if my PTO gets dragged out. Fortunately, I have PWs and have been able to run off grid, but it's a hassle for me to monitor battery level to insure that they don't drain seeing as I'm using AC.
My installer process is 90% pay at install complete. Just put check in the mail. Until I get PTO, do not have to pay rest

My installer process is 90% pay at install complete. Just put check in the mail. Until I get PTO, do not have to pay rest
Was this a Tesla install? That wasn't an option for me ... only full pay, but I did call billing and charged the entire system (obviously much smaller than yours ~$35K) ... at least I got ~$700 cash back to ease the PTO pain!!!

Sorry, no good idea how to push tesla to move. I've been partly installed and back and forth with them since February. Based on the numerous "contacts" with them, I suspect there are a lot of hangups and delays inside tesla. With them just dropping the ball.
They installed a different inverter that isnt working well with my shading, I havent paid them... they've been suprisingly on top of things trying to send out the insepctor to get the inspection signed off. They even sent in an updated planset only days after they installd a different piece of equipment (without telling me though) . But, they havent managed to remember or do much of anything else, including ask for their money. It could all be explained by their right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

PS to those in this thread: I have got to read up about NEM-3 Now :p

Was this a Tesla install? That wasn't an option for me ... only full pay, but I did call billing and charged the entire system (obviously much smaller than yours ~$35K) ... at least I got ~$700 cash back to ease the PTO pain!!!

No, @h2ofun 's install was definitely, positively, 1000 percent not done by tesla, as he has been clear in many threads in letting us know.

Same experience here, mate. its like most things you do with a tesla person fall into a black hole.

I’m just curious if any of you that were posting back in May have received PTO. We are 7 weeks past our inspection approval and paid in full. We keep getting the run around from our project advisor. Trying to be patient but very frustrating paying that much cash for it sitting on the roof. I looked up the form they need to fill out and it is the date, company name and a Tesla signature. How can that take 7 weeks?

I’m just curious if any of you that were posting back in May have received PTO. We are 7 weeks past our inspection approval and paid in full. We keep getting the run around from our project advisor. Trying to be patient but very frustrating paying that much cash for it sitting on the roof. I looked up the form they need to fill out and it is the date, company name and a Tesla signature. How can that take 7 weeks?

I am also at about 7 weeks, my paperwork was submitted about 2 weeks ago. Have you checked with your utility to be sure it has not been submitted. Mine was eventually submitted, now its sitting at the utility and from my conversations with them, no one has yet to even look at the application to start the process. I also had the same response from Tesla, basically kept saying up to 90 days to submit. I called about every 3-4 days to bug them, not sure if that helped at all. Now the crazy part, my neighbor installed a week after mine, inspection a week after mine, was submitted and recieved PTO within about 2 days from inspection. Good luck!

So i finally got through to the right Tesla rep about a month ago and they were able to push my request through in a matter of a few hours. Theres no way i can recommend a certain person or a certain thing to say. What you basically have to do is call the general Tesla rep phone number and explain your situation, and hope that they know who to contact to get it pushed through.

NOTE: When your project advisor or a solar rep says they are going to "escalate" your case, it means absolutely nothing. My advisor even went as far to patronizingly tell me that he escalated my case beyond the escalation list. IMO, they all need to be fired. There are a few good general reps you reach, but they are all generally useless when it comes to them having to critically think.

Phone number: 877-701-7652

At first you dont succeed, call back literally every single day until it gets done. If you dont, you will be waiting forever because no one does anything on their own.

I am also at about 7 weeks, my paperwork was submitted about 2 weeks ago. Have you checked with your utility to be sure it has not been submitted. Mine was eventually submitted, now its sitting at the utility and from my conversations with them, no one has yet to even look at the application to start the process. I also had the same response from Tesla, basically kept saying up to 90 days to submit. I called about every 3-4 days to bug them, not sure if that helped at all. Now the crazy part, my neighbor installed a week after mine, inspection a week after mine, was submitted and recieved PTO within about 2 days from inspection. Good luck!
I have called the electric company each week and they say they are waiting on the Net Metering document. That’s crazy about the neighbor. Clearly systems and processes are not their strong suit.

So i finally got through to the right Tesla rep about a month ago and they were able to push my request through in a matter of a few hours. Theres no way i can recommend a certain person or a certain thing to say. What you basically have to do is call the general Tesla rep phone number and explain your situation, and hope that they know who to contact to get it pushed through.

NOTE: When your project advisor or a solar rep says they are going to "escalate" your case, it means absolutely nothing. My advisor even went as far to patronizingly tell me that he escalated my case beyond the escalation list. IMO, they all need to be fired. There are a few good general reps you reach, but they are all generally useless when it comes to them having to critically think.

Phone number: 877-701-7652

At first you dont succeed, call back literally every single day until it gets done. If you dont, you will be waiting forever because no one does anything on their own.
agree with getting "right" rep .. my problem was "escalated" / handed off IT multiple times all very polite reps just nothing actually done ...then during one call I got the "right" person fixed issue in about 5 min while I was on phone .. still recall her name Melissa haha

agree with getting "right" rep .. my problem was "escalated" / handed off IT multiple times then during one call I got the "right" person fixed issue in about 5 min while I was on phone .. still recall her name Melissa haha
Ya, getting escalated means nothing because they dont do anything anyway. My project advisor literally didnt do schnitzel ever. I would contact him after weeks about getting PTO, and then 20 min later i got a document in my inbox to sign that should have been taken care of before installation even began. Its like the early days of Time Warner Cable.

City approved the permit on May 27, 2021. I'm just waiting for the PTO. Every time I call Tesla they say that they are backlogged, and it could take 60-90 days. Meanwhile, accounting wants their money, and I'm not paying until this project is finished and the system is on.

City approved the permit on May 27, 2021. I'm just waiting for the PTO. Every time I call Tesla they say that they are backlogged, and it could take 60-90 days. Meanwhile, accounting wants their money, and I'm not paying until this project is finished and the system is on.

Unless something has changed, tesla wont even start your PTO process until you pay, so you have a very "chicken and egg" situation there. Something may have changed, but if not, you may be waiting a long time for PTO if you will not pay before getting PTO.

Im not saying you should, or making any judgement at all, just stating what tesla's policy was previously, which was "no PTO submittal without payment".

Unless something has changed, tesla wont even start your PTO process until you pay, so you have a very "chicken and egg" situation there. Something may have changed, but if not, you may be waiting a long time for PTO if you will not pay before getting PTO.

Im not saying you should, or making any judgement at all, just stating what tesla's policy was previously, which was "no PTO submittal without payment".
Thanks for your reply. I hear what you're saying and Accounting mentioned that too. However, when I called Customer Service today, they said that full payment was not a requirement for PTO. I will pay them what I owe, but I never pay in full, until the job is complete and the system is on. I have asked for an Accounting Manager to call me.
Thanks again.