Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for ways to get a deal on a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep hearing how some people got rebates or free wheel/paint upgrades. Wondering how can I find a deal on a LR or SR+ Model 3. Willing to pull the trigger before end of quarter... I called their sales number and the Fremont sales store number and they were pretty much not helpful.

Your timing is not ideal since they just raised the prices at midnight last night. The way most of us seem to have got deals was to ask what they have in inventory. When you tell them what you are looking for, if they don't have it they may offer you something close but with a paint or wheel upgrade. Tell them you don't want those items and they may offer to waive them if you purchase the car within 48 hours. It really varies by region and even by individual sales rep. They are motivated to move cars before the end of the month to make their Q1 numbers look as good as possible.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The "deals" to me were not good deals. Basically, people who placed an order were called and told... "hey we have the model you ordered, except it has the white seat upgrade or the X color upgrade" you can buy it for the same price! The catch is they are 2018 models, the resale value isn't worth either of those upgrades.

They now have a new referral program though, it just released. You get 1,000 miles of supercharging. Not a big deal, but still it's better than nothing.

I was offered a free wheel or paint upgrade on a 2019 MR or LR AWD model. I accepted the deal on the MR model but ended up rejecting the vehicle at delivery due to significant body panel gaps. I then went ahead and ordered a LR RWD and they agreed to extend the free wheel upgrade to the new order. So basically I think I just got lucky. If I had just placed a new order off the website I would not have received any special pricing.

I got a free paint upgrade on a 2019 model. Never hurts to ask. Unfortunately, it seems like every store has its own policy. I would start calling all the ones close to you until you find someone ready to play ball. I would specify that you are ready to take immediate delivery. Ask about demo cars. Your best bet is a AWD because SRs are in demand, and all MRs are gone.

I'd visit the store/dealer or whatever they are called and work with a slaesperson to look for a discounted inventory car. Maybe they'll be motivated to move inventory and offer up some other incentives besides just a discounted price. The key is to go in person.

I agree with @OCR1 that LR or SR+ is not an ideal choice if you want a deal. If you look at the list here, on 19 Feb 2019, the number of Model 3s in Tesla's inventory was as follows:
  • 255 Long-Range
  • 654 Performance
  • 3,482 Mid-Range
  • 6,453 Long-Range AWD
All of these are 2018 models. The 10th character in the VIN is J for 2018.

There is no updated version of this list publicly available. Of course, stores have the updated list.

People that say a 2018 build has a lesser resale build are flat out morons. Not that I truly care about resale as I will have the car for at minimum 5 years.

Nearly every dealer car sold as a 2019 was built in 2018. A Tesla built in December of 2018 is no different than a Tesla built in February of 2019.

What matters is that it’s features are identical to the currently sold vehicle, it has <50 miles.

Would you buy a 2018 build with 10 miles or a 2019 build with 150 miles because it has better “resale”?? Open your eyes people. If you can get a price adjustment for a brand new vehicle that’s 1 month from being built in the magical 2019, take it and run.

I agree, model year doesn’t matter.
The deal proposed to me was a $9560 price adjustment on a ‘18 Performance Model 3 with 1600 miles and a paint option credit promo of $1500.
Whether it was a ‘18 or ‘19 didn’t matter to me as much as getting a performance for a steal.

Paying $50k for a practically brand new performance model 3 minus $3750 tax credit, $2500 state rebate and $1000 SCE rebate, I’m all in at $43k. I’m pretty sure I’m ahead on resale value on a ‘18 model and happier than a fly on poop:
If i paid $58k full sticker to get a ‘19 model with zero miles, pretty sure I’d be in the hole at least a few thousand after those same incentives....

The deal proposed to me was a $9560 price adjustment on a ‘18 Performance Model 3 with 1600 miles and a paint option credit promo of $1500.
Whether it was a ‘18 or ‘19 didn’t matter to me as much as getting a performance for a steal.

Paying $50k for a practically brand new performance model 3 minus $3750 tax credit, $2500 state rebate and $1000 SCE rebate, I’m all in at $43k. I’m pretty sure I’m ahead on resale value on a ‘18 model and happier than a fly on poop:
If i paid $58k full sticker to get a ‘19 model with zero miles, pretty sure I’d be in the hole at least a few thousand after those same incentives....

Wow, that’s a great deal. Congratulations!

I completely agree with your logic. My only thought on this is that if they told you they also could offer you the identical deal on a 2019 model year car, would you not choose that one, all other things being equal?

Reactions: vzaitsev
Thanks. My buddy got a similar car and deal too. He’s picking his up Saturday i believe.

and yes, if that were an option on the table but there were no inventory ‘19’s. I asked :)

Wow, that’s a great deal. Congratulations!

I completely agree with your logic. My only thought on this is that if they told you they also could offer you the identical deal on a 2019 model year car, would you not choose that one, all other things being equal?

Pick mine up on Monday getting $7250 off 20190322_002152.jpg

Reactions: vzaitsev

wow no deals on a SR+ or MR yet right? These are all discounts of LR or P3s but they don't get to SR+ $37K price? even if they'd discount EAP/FSD

At this point, so close to the end of the quarter, you're going to be looking at what is in inventory that is close to you since there won't be time for them to ship it from another location. I'd go to your nearest store, and ask them flat out what they have in inventory there or close by that they'd be willing to make a deal on.

So how is there not a demand issue if they're selling P3Ds for under $50k before tax credits, again?

It's absurd how fast the values of these vehicles have dropped. An LR AWD was $60k less than four months ago, call it $57k with the larger tax credit!

To be fair, they're not selling their entire inventory of Performance vehicles at those prices. These are demo vehicles with miles on them, so while they could be considered somewhat used, their still "new" since they were never titled.