Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 37 grand Chevy bolt is technically excellent but butt ugly. If the tesla model three looks like a small model S I'm in...

Sexy and quick make the model s so cool people want to own one...

The model 3 competitor for Chevy technically is excellent but god is it ugly...

Tesla hopefully stays on course to offer a sexy model 3.

If it does...I'll buy.

I would think it would be a little earlier than that. Wouldn't Elon want the reveal to be reported on the 11:00 news on the East coast?
You're right, and I stand corrected. The Model X reveal (Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015) and the Model S "D" event (Thursday, Oct 9, 2014) were scheduled for 7 PM. But I'm pretty sure Elon was still [fashionably] late for both.

As for making the news, I'm not convinced that's anything they care about. They'll have more than a year before sales can begin, so another few hours not making the news is no big deal.

After browsing these forums for months, I finally registered with TMC just so that I could join this amusing, sanity-preserving thread.

Bigbear's countdown reminds me of an early-parenting survival strategy that my mom shared with me after my son was born: "Step 1: Get through the next 5 minutes. Step 2: Repeat Step 1." (Given that she had to deal with three of us in diapers simultaneously, often by herself, I can certainly see where this approach came from...) Unfortunately, there are anywhere between 10,464 and 17,580 five-minute intervals remaining until the reveal (assuming 7pm Pacific start time + 1-hour Elon Standard Time adjustment), and this strategy fails miserably at scale. 36 / 61 is much, much more manageable.

After browsing these forums for months, I finally registered with TMC just so that I could join this amusing, sanity-preserving thread.

Bigbear's countdown reminds me of an early-parenting survival strategy that my mom shared with me after my son was born: "Step 1: Get through the next 5 minutes. Step 2: Repeat Step 1." (Given that she had to deal with three of us in diapers simultaneously, often by herself, I can certainly see where this approach came from...) Unfortunately, there are anywhere between 10,464 and 17,580 five-minute intervals remaining until the reveal (assuming 7pm Pacific start time + 1-hour Elon Standard Time adjustment), and this strategy fails miserably at scale. 36 / 61 is much, much more manageable.
Although tempting, I can't agree to that kind of countdown. But maybe I will once we finally can place a reservation!

The article has been updated: http://electrek.co/2016/01/28/model-3-surprise-tesla-march-vehicle-announcement/
(Update: A Tesla Spokesperson called this report “wrong” and that only 1 of the vehicles would be announced in March.
Tesla is indeed working on [at least] 2 different Model 3 platform vehicles which we reported previously.

I don't think that Model 3 and Model Y will both be released at the same time. This guy seems to, though: Model 3 surprise: Tesla is preparing to announce 2 vehicles in March | Electrek
The clear implications is that Model 3 and Y will both be announced concurrently in March. Nothing would make me happier, as I would put down 1 reservation for each car. However, I highly doubt that I will see this happen... just because that would be an incredible secret for Tesla to keep, even this long and because nothing in my life has ever worked out that perfectly.
model-3-roadmap.jpg

In the recent presentation in Hong Kong a graphic showed the Roadster on the left, the S and X together in the middle, and two silhouettes together on the right. The silhouettes looked a lot like the S and X pair and so are not shape specific but the fact that there are two shapes could suggest a near-term plan to have two models.

model-3-model-y.jpg

[image of product roadmap]

Yes, this is a slide J.B. used on his talks for a while. Then someone her on TMC speculated on that *Model 3* actually would came in sedan and CUV based on this picture, and a journalist probably read that and wrote an article about it. So suddenly the hole Internet "knew" that it was true. And J.B. silently changed that slide with one that mentioned the same Gen-III sedan/CUV as Elon has been talking about instead.

Not so good news ... Tesla doesn’t plan on showing everything about the Model 3 at the March unveiling, will wait closer to production in 2017

Tesla doesnt plan on showing everything about the Model 3 at the March unveiling, will wait closer to production in 2017 | Electrek

As part of his current trip across Europe and Asia, Tesla CEO Elon Musk stopped by the automaker’s France headquarters in Chambourcy for a special event for Tesla owners. Musk delivered a quick speech thanking local owners for their support of Tesla and then stayed for a Q&A during which he shared a few new tidbits of information.When asked about when we will get to see pictures of the Model 3, Musk answered:
“The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March… I am being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.”
An audience member asked for more details, but as it is often the case when it comes to future products, Musk refused to elaborate. In the past, the CEO said Tesla planned to start Model 3 production toward the end of 2017, while the “end of March” event has been referred to as an “unveiling”.

Musk often said that Tesla always aims to improve on concepts the company unveils and bring to market production vehicles that are even more compelling than the prototypes. For example, Tesla first unveiled the Model X in 2012. Musk referred to the version of the vehicle as a “pre-alpha prototype” and improved on it up until the unveiling of the production version last September.

The production version included quite a few features that either were not on the concept or talked about during the first unveiling, including a new “operating room-level” air filtering system, auto-presenting front doors and the panoramic windshield.

Musk’s “not gonna show everything” comment could indicate a similar unveiling plan for the Model 3 where some features are left out of the concept and only unveiled before production. The unveiling of the prototype would mainly act as a showcasing of design, size and main features, while allowing Tesla to take reservations and gauge demand.

During the Q&A, Musk also offered a timeline for Tesla’s plan to allow mirroring of apps from phones to the center consoles, which he elaborated on during a recent meeting in Hong Kong. In France, the CEO said that the company plans to introduce the feature around the “middle of the year” and added that it is harder than you would think.

I am only the messenger ... :redface:
I appreciate the link. I just had a hissy fit about this, but thinking about it this is a good thing. He's just saying that Tesla will continue to push for the best car they can make up until production. So, our M3's will include options we won't even know about until next year. I like this ride. Even if gas goes down to 50 cents a gallon, I still want it.

Eh. I don't think I ever believed that the March event would be anything more than what the 2012 event was for the Model X (or, for that matter, anything more than what the 2015 NAIAS was for the Bolt). I have no expectations of seeing "everything."

They will show the car, have no fear. But other than saying rough things about the battery, performance and what the car is to them don't expect details on final pricing, options and other secret stuff.

Tesla still has lots of work to do in autopilot department as well as finishing up development for the car. The best indicator of production actually meeting their estimate starting in late 2017 is if they talk about expanding the production lines at the factory later this year in the results report.
They expanded the production line and added the Model X line in November 2014, basically a year before full production of the X really started up. I would expect the same kind of timeline for Model 3, perhaps a bit shorter given the new paint plant is already in place.

Its like an inverse IPO roadshow where a CEO travels the world to major financial hubs pitching to large potential investors, instead Elon brilliantly invites everyone to a dusty spot in the desert, gives them a couple glasses of wine while they wait around a couple of hours listening to the same 3 songs blaring, then shows a "slick" Powerpoint presentation of a product that is likely to change in 2-3 years & banks a billion dollars to fund the next phases of the Gigafactory...my bags are packed :wink:.