Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a Model X....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ScooterWard: Like you, I live in DC and am ready to purchase the X. I have carefully followed these forums and have decided to wait at least 6 months for the wrinkles to be ironed out. I have not been spooked enough (although the recent pics of crunched FWDs were horrifying) to be deterred. Instead, what I hear is that when the car works as it should, there is nothing else like it on the road. Perhaps that is enough for an early adopter, car enthusiast, techie, environmentalist like me.
I am not familiar with the videos you are talking about. Care to share a link?

I am not familiar with the videos you are talking about. Care to share a link?
I think he meant this video mentioned in CaliX's posts.
The guy drove into his garage with falcon wing door still open.
@Allante
I would think by the time you got yours most if not all problems would be a non-issue. Nevermind the car seems to have its own mind at times. It really is an amazing machine that made MT SUV of the year seems tiring and not offer as much functional advantage as I would have expected from all the forum chatter had lead me to believe.

Ouch I never saw that video. The car beeps at you when you start moving with the FWD's open so I'm not sure how he missed that!

To answer one of your questions though--we love the FWD's... more useful than gimmicky, especially with kids. Even my father had no trouble getting into the third row at 6'2" and 77 yrs old. Even though I recommended against it, he stayed there for the ride to dinner--the six seat version made that possible as he stretched his legs out in the opening.

Ouch I never saw that video. The car beeps at you when you start moving with the FWD's open so I'm not sure how he missed that!
I think it was reported that the driver heard so many other beeps such as the sensors detecting or falsely detecting items in the path that he became overwhelmed and just ignored all of the noise. Unfortunately one of those noises was real important. Could happen to any of us.

Reactions: Seesaw
I think it was reported that the driver heard so many other beeps such as the sensors detecting or falsely detecting items in the path that he became overwhelmed and just ignored all of the noise. Unfortunately one of those noises was real important. Could happen to any of us.
Yeah like my wife tried to drive her RX out of the garage with the hatch open. No beeps just a very sad crunch ..yep totally car's fault :mad: At least this one beeps and shows a big message on the screen..that is if you care to pay attention :eek::rolleyes:

I think this works if it's the front doors. Being that the falcon wing doors are the rear doors, which are touted as being "child friendly" - and are also used for other passengers who might not be familiar with the car, it complicates things. How many warnings will you have to give to passengers? Does that detract from the purported utility of the doors? I've already told my kids to "let me open them". That's certainly a minus in the utility argument.

My front doors fight me. They want to open further than I want them to open at times. As soon as you pull the handle, the motor starts, and it plans to stop wherever it plans to stop (the falcon wing door sensors give the car a benchmark for this). There have been times when I've had an obstruction at my door but not at the door behind, so the falcon wing sensor thinks the door can swing wide. I have to hold on very tightly to keep the door from swinging fully open. Same goes for parallel parking - looks like it can open wide, but there are cars driving past me and I don't want to lose a door or worse, door a cyclist. Manually operating the doors does work, but one slip of your hand and it'll wrestle itself free.
Hopefully all will be resolved, since I still think it is one of the most striking vehicles on the road. It is like the future is driving right along aside me, and I'm thinking that while in my S!