Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a used Model S performance/AWD model - what do I need to know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might have interest in reading this entire thread

Reactions: AMPd
Buying any used Model S right now is not a good idea. Anything pre-refresh is running old battery and heating/cooling tech. To cap it off, used cars are waaaaaaaay overpriced.

Go new or go Model 3. And definitely do not buy out of warranty. Whatever people say about maintenance-free EV’s is a joke. My P85D was in the shop more than any car I have owned. HV issues, drive unit issues, cooling system issues, etc…

Just my advice.

Reactions: AMPd
You definitely shouldn’t buy a used one, all upgrades of the new model aside used prices are extremely high right now.
If I were you I’d get a new one or wait until winter when production is in full swing and used prices return to normal.

Kinda depends on what your budget is and what you're looking for. I am a big fan of the performance plus suspension, but that is only available for a small window (I think late 2014 - mid 2015?) on P85Ds. Some 85 packs have been voltage capped with less range, but not all. Early 90 packs have such high degradation that they have less range / power than a good 85 pack. Check to see what the car charges to at 100% (and that it actually does charge to 100%).

I would budget $1500 for the MCU2 upgrade if it is not already done. MCU1 performance has really deteriorated to the point that it is often useless.

Heated steering wheels are nice and available with the subzero package after late 2014.

Getting accurate info or any info out of Tesla about the car will be difficult or impossible.

Kinda depends on what your budget is and what you're looking for. I am a big fan of the performance plus suspension, but that is only available for a small window (I think late 2014 - mid 2015?) on P85Ds. Some 85 packs have been voltage capped with less range, but not all. Early 90 packs have such high degradation that they have less range / power than a good 85 pack. Check to see what the car charges to at 100% (and that it actually does charge to 100%).

I would budget $1500 for the MCU2 upgrade if it is not already done. MCU1 performance has really deteriorated to the point that it is often useless.

Heated steering wheels are nice and available with the subzero package after late 2014.

Getting accurate info or any info out of Tesla about the car will be difficult or impossible.
Good info, this is the kind of stuff I am looking for - thanks.
I am, however, a bit concerned now reading about so many that have had problems and looking at other luxury performance sedans like AMG Mercs, M5, etc. I'd like to have a Tesla, but not if it was unreliable and hard to get support for.

Good info, this is the kind of stuff I am looking for - thanks.
I am, however, a bit concerned now reading about so many that have had problems and looking at other luxury performance sedans like AMG Mercs, M5, etc. I'd like to have a Tesla, but not if it was unreliable and hard to get support for.
Tesla’s are generally reliable (new ones anyway).

But if and when you do need support, it’s an absolute nightmare. That’s where legacy manufacturers have a huge leg up. That and refueling stations on every corner that take 3 minutes vs an hour to fill up…

Then this is regrettable and will be the downfall of Tesla. You can't sell$100K rides under the guise of planned obsolescence and make it a long-term play.
To be fair, you just implied you were looking at used AMGs and M cars instead, which are the very definition of planned obsolescence through crushing unreliability, mechanical complexity, and repair costs.

Plenty of scorned souls around here looking to scare people off, but I’ll say a used performance Model S will almost certainly be more reliable and cheaper to maintain long term vs any contemporary AMG or M car. That is not to say “cheap,” but cheaper.

Plenty of people, myself included, have perfectly reliable cars and reasonable to good service experiences. Tesla’s service model will never cup your balls in the same way a German luxury dealer will, but let’s face it - that “special” treatment isn’t free. You pay dearly for it.

For my money, I think a mid-2019 to very early 2020 performance model (post-Raven updates but before they discontinued the unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty) is a value sweet spot. These are fantastic cars, faster than nearly everything on the road, have most of the modern tech, and still benefit from the prior warranty terms.

To be fair, you just implied you were looking at used AMGs and M cars instead, which are the very definition of planned obsolescence through crushing unreliability, mechanical complexity, and repair costs.

Plenty of scorned souls around here looking to scare people off, but I’ll say a used performance Model S will almost certainly be more reliable and cheaper to maintain long term vs any contemporary AMG or M car. That is not to say “cheap,” but cheaper.

Plenty of people, myself included, have perfectly reliable cars and reasonable to good service experiences. Tesla’s service model will never cup your balls in the same way a German luxury dealer will, but let’s face it - that “special” treatment isn’t free. You pay dearly for it.
To be fair, I've grown up in the car industry, worked at Adesa part-time through high school and college, then ford credit, Reynolds and Reynolds, and my dad had his dealers license going back to the 80's and I've had mine off and on 10+ years, and have owned AMGs, Ms, and currently Porsche, and can assure you they are not unreliable, by any means. Sure they cost more to maintain than a freaking Honda, but to dismiss them as unreliable and to be discarded, is ignorant. Sure there have been various issues here and there - IMS with Porsche, Vanos, and rod bearings with certain M's, but this is easily sorted out by knowing what to buy. BUT, this is all moot when you can buy CPO AMGs/Ms with 100K mile warranties for SIGNIFIGANTLY less than a new Model S performance, like half price.

But, even CPO 2nd owner support aside, there is no car on the planet more reliable long-term than a GT/Mezger powered Porsche, as they can be flogged on the weekend and used for daily driving and provide nearly a million miles of reliable service, but yes - they do need to be maintained.

The 911 Turbo is the practically the free super-car, so don't get all high and mighty with me lol :p

• Disagree
Reactions: electricar
For my money, I think a mid-2019 to very early 2020 performance model (post-Raven updates but before they discontinued the unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty) is a value sweet spot. These are fantastic cars, faster than nearly everything on the road, have most of the modern tech, and still benefit from the prior warranty terms.
Interesting, but I dont really know what model cars, trim levels, etc.. you are referring to here.

I don’t think anything says planned obsolescence like a 35k battery replacement cost.

Reactions: GlockandRoll
BUT, this is all moot when you can buy CPO AMGs/Ms with 100K mile warranties for SIGNIFIGANTLY less than a new Model S performance, like half price.
You act like there isn’t a reason these cars lose half their value in a couple of years. ;)

At any rate, sounds like you’ve made your mind up. Good luck with that. 👍🏻

I don’t think anything says planned obsolescence like a 35k battery replacement cost.
Agreed, and you’ve surely seen my opinions in threads where this is being discussed. I don’t find Tesla’s current pricing for pack replacements particularly defensible.

That said, this scenario is clearly the exception, not the rule, and the great majority of battery packs have thus far shown to be reliable for the useful life of the car. Far more so in my estimation than the chance of catastrophic powertrain failure in your average AMG or M car example from the last 10 years.

Reactions: electricar and AMPd
That said, this scenario is clearly the exception, not the rule, and the great majority of battery packs have thus far shown to be reliable for the useful life of the car. Far more so in my estimation than the chance of catastrophic powertrain failure in your average AMG or M car example from the last 10 years.

That's opinion, not fact, you don't have any data to back that up - you are just talking out of your ass.
Engines can be rebluit even better than new, w/out having to scrap everything. But I don't expect you do know much about cars... so i'd be wasting my energy here.

That's opinion, not fact, you don't have any data to back that up - you are just talking out of your ass.
Engines can be rebluit even better than new, w/out having to scrap everything. But I don't expect you do know much about cars... so i'd be wasting my energy here.
You’re welcome to provide data at any time as you’re clearly the expert here on Tesla battery failures AND the reliability of every other high performance ICE car on the road. I mean, it’s pretty remarkable we’ve gotten on this long without you!

But we’re super glad you’re here now. You seem like you’re gonna fit right in!

• Funny
Reactions: electricar