Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to cancel order due to removal of USS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The decision is more complex. Other companies removed USS or slowed production. Tesla chose to accelerate transition to camera based so they could keep production going and let buyers decide if they wanted a car now or to wait. Turns out lots of people were willing to take a car still. Some of us can understand this, especially people who waited 6+ months for a car and didn’t want to extend that over USS.
I haven't heard of cars at this price point removing USS. And how has that gone over with their customers?

I know they decided to keep going..they obviously did. And yes, people took the car, expecting that this will eventually work..and maybe it will...I guess we will all see.

A ton of people also bought their Tesla and paid for FSD...with the expectations it will be out.....Years after people thought it was it still isn't fully baked...They removed radar saying it wasn't needed even though it sounds like it was...based on evidence it sounds like FSD has been worse...based on some other information they might even bring it back....

I haven't heard of cars at this price point removing USS. And how has that gone over with their customers?

I know they decided to keep going..they obviously did. And yes, people took the car, expecting that this will eventually work..and maybe it will...I guess we will all see.

A ton of people also bought their Tesla and paid for FSD...with the expectations it will be out.....Years after people thought it was it still isn't fully baked...They removed radar saying it wasn't needed even though it sounds like it was...based on evidence it sounds like FSD has been worse...based on some other information they might even bring it back....
The original radar wasn’t great. The new high def radar may change the usability of it.

Will it be required for FSD? Don’t know. Every disengagement I’ve done with my FSD has been due to routing/decision making issues… not from the car being unable to “see”.

Here is an example of USS replacement. (Review the entire twitter thread.)

Screenshot_20230324_100349_Brave.jpg

This would have the potential to annoy me

Reactions: Choncho
When was this? I can't even find a mention of it...Was this "we will replace it when we get them in stock" or "we removed them completely from the car"?
2022 - same time as all the other manufacturers. You can’t find it mostly because people write about Tesla Ad nauseam - anything with Tesla in the title people click on. Nobody cares about what BMW is doing. Also, your google skills or effort may play a factor.
Here’s a 4 day old Reddit post of a new BMW owner surprised that BMW removed a bunch of things that previously were common.
Here’s i4 discussion about BMW removing things, pushing back deliveries, etc.

If you look you can find this for Mercedes, Citroen, etc

The original radar wasn’t great. The new high def radar may change the usability of it.

Will it be required for FSD? Don’t know. Every disengagement I’ve done with my FSD has been due to routing/decision making issues… not from the car being unable to “see”.
But the original radar sounds like it was better than just vision..

If you look at where the car industry is headed (at least the innovation side), data won't just be coming from the car you're driving....and while radar may eventually not be needed because vision of what is around you actually comes from other cars around you, that isn't here yet...and knowing what is out there that isn't easily visible is going to be key..
2022 - same time as all the other manufacturers. You can’t find it mostly because people write about Tesla Ad nauseam - anything with Tesla in the title people click on. Nobody cares about what BMW is doing. Also, your google skills or effort may play a factor.
Here’s a 4 day old Reddit post of a new BMW owner surprised that BMW removed a bunch of things that previously were common.

This wasn't USS or just basic proximity alerts...We're talking about different things. These cars still had proximity sensors, just not things like 360 view, etc, etc...advanced features.

So again, what car at this price point is missing this basic feature? Just looking for someone that had it in the car and removed it....
From the looks of it, they either made changes to the model/model year, or they removed it from being orderable. This is not the same thing as just getting rid of something without a replacement way to have that feature...

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude
Perhaps initially but I don’t think long term.

I believe it goes like this:

Vision + HD radar > vision only > vision + LD radar (due to so many false positives).
How is vision only better than vision + "LD" radar?

Cars literally got nerfed with the VO update (further following distances, lower max speeds, and more requirements...auto wipers/ highbeams).

It's not better, it was just EASIER for Tesla to implement

How is vision only better than vision + "LD" radar?

Cars literally got nerfed with the VO update (further following distances, lower max speeds, and more requirements...auto wipers/ highbeams).

It's not better, it was just EASIER for Tesla to implement
If you believe Elon, he stated it’s because they often got conflicting information.

And again, it did seem to regress initially but now it seems better than vision + LD radar. (Other than maybe max speed.)

Yes, auto wipers and auto headlights could be better. Unfortunately Tesla pushes a change before they are ready. I wish they didn’t do this… especially when it is replacing current functionality.

(moderator note)

The discussion thread for USS / Tesla vision performance, feedback etc is here:

Please move discussion to that thread. thanks

Reactions: DanDi58
Status
Not open for further replies.