Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like Taycan prices are dropping rapidly as well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
While a lot here bemoan the rapid depreciation of the Plaid and LR (and rightly so), the Taycan isn’t doing much better even without the price manipulations that Tesla is doing. They are doing it naturally without any ”help” from Porsche. If it wasn’t for Tesla constantly adjusting the price, and roiling the used market, the S might be holding its value better than Taycans.

Since I don't plan on selling my 2021 S or 2022 X anytime soon, and my state taxes cars based on their value every year, I don't mind the depreciation, especially it is the result of lower selling prices for the likely replacement if I did sell it (or have to replace it for some other reason). I don't understand the complaining about depreciation by people without plans to sell their cars -- and even of those, except for those not replacing the car, their replacement cost also goes down along with the depreciation so their not really worse off in any meaningful way.

Taycans are likely going down not because Porsche lowered MSRP, but because cross shopping with now much lower Teslas and perhaps also complaints about the Porsche batteries -- has that been resolved?

I feel sorry for you if you live in a state where they have something like ad valorem taxes and charge you based on the value of the car every year. The problem is with many of the states where I lived in that did this, they didn’t update their tables to reflect the actual current value of the car to reflect the reality on the street. They basically has a straight line deprecation of X% a year.

I had a 4 years old Mitsu Montero and moved to a state where they claimed it was still worth 30k. If I could have gotten half of that I would have sold it in an instant.

Another byproduct of rapid deprecation if is you didn’t put down much money, have a long loan term, or didn’t pay cash, and then you are in an accident and it is a total loss. The insurance company will only pay out the current value and you could have a large outstanding loan balance and have to pay money toward the loan even after the insurance pays out what they will.

I never pay cash for my cars when there is cheap money to borrow. If the interest rate is less than inflation, I always borrow. My MS LR was 1.24% so it was a no-brainer to finance it. I normally put at least 20% down but that barely covered me on my 3 with the huge drop on it. Everyone is situation is different of course.

Reactions: Cal1
I feel sorry for you if you live in a state where they have something like ad valorem taxes and charge you based on the value of the car every year.
The problem is with many of the states where I lived in that did this, they didn’t update their tables to reflect the actual current value of the car
to reflect the reality on the street. They basically has a straight line deprecation of X% a year.

This is even more frustating with those overnight price changes (Don't the Tesla Model S-X dropped by $8k recently).

One issue about price, for luxury cars like Porsche, is that you can double the initial price of the car just by adding some options.

Yes, with Porsches you are rarely at the base price so the hit could be even worse. Not to mention on resale, you car might be so customized that the next buyer is only willing to “buy” maybe half the options you want since there are so many variations.

I hope there is more stability around Tesla pricing, and that they don’t kill off the S, by the time I might sell my Plaid in 5 years or so. I can’t really think of anything on the market that matches its performance and daily comfort. It would be the ultimate daily driver if just a touch smaller and still bigger than my 3. The girth of the car is a challenge on some streets in Dallas. Highway usage it is awesome.

I feel sorry for you if you live in a state where they have something like ad valorem taxes and charge you based on the value of the car every year. The problem is with many of the states where I lived in that did this, they didn’t update their tables to reflect the actual current value of the car to reflect the reality on the street. They basically has a straight line deprecation of X% a year.

I had a 4 years old Mitsu Montero and moved to a state where they claimed it was still worth 30k. If I could have gotten half of that I would have sold it in an instant.

Another byproduct of rapid deprecation if is you didn’t put down much money, have a long loan term, or didn’t pay cash, and then you are in an accident and it is a total loss. The insurance company will only pay out the current value and you could have a large outstanding loan balance and have to pay money toward the loan even after the insurance pays out what they will.

I never pay cash for my cars when there is cheap money to borrow. If the interest rate is less than inflation, I always borrow. My MS LR was 1.24% so it was a no-brainer to finance it. I normally put at least 20% down but that barely covered me on my 3 with the huge drop on it. Everyone is situation is different of course.

This is what GAP insurance is for. My CU sells it for $299 on each loan. I've seen Dealerships sell it for as much as $1500.

I've used GAP insurance before. Sadly based on the rise of Tesla prices last year, it wasn't on anyone's radar how much Tesla could manipulate the price and how much it would impact the used market.

I am new to Tesla - wanted to order a Model S Plaid.
Tesla offered me a test drive in a regular Model S.
The car worked well and was impressively smooth and powerful. The one pedal driving was especially wonderful.
What made me have second thoughts is the way Tesla considers customers and especially the Yoke Story.

So I decided to explore whether my money would be better invested spent in a Taycan. A Plaid lists for 100K here and I set aside another 20 K for proper brakes and lightweight wheels. 120K may be a lot of money, but it does not buy a new Taycan, so I checked out the used market.

I was stunned. the Taycan market looks like it entered the Great Ice Age following Tesla's price cuts.
Prices are very attractive and the gigantic available inventory means one can easily find a car that is close enough. Wow!

Probably I am not the only one around who would consider an almost new Taycan with 1st year depreciation behind it instead of a new Plaid.
Of course it is not apples to apples, but since the new Plaid will most probably need rework, I do not value the "new" factor as a positive...
Thoughts?

Reactions: Propofoln
The car worked well and was impressively smooth and powerful. The one pedal driving was especially wonderful.
What made me have second thoughts is the way Tesla considers customers and especially the Yoke Story.

So I decided to explore whether my money would be better invested spent in a Taycan. A Plaid lists for 100K here and I set aside another 20 K for proper brakes and lightweight wheels. 120K may be a lot of money, but it does not buy a new Taycan, so I checked out the used market.

I was stunned. the Taycan market looks like it entered the Great Ice Age following Tesla's price cuts.
Prices are very attractive and the gigantic available inventory means one can easily find a car that is close enough. Wow!

Probably I am not the only one around who would consider an almost new Taycan with 1st year depreciation behind it instead of a new Plaid.
Of course it is not apples to apples, but since the new Plaid will most probably need rework, I do not value the "new" factor as a positive...
Thoughts?

Have you considered the range of the Taycan?

Thoughts?
The reason Tayan's prices have fallen is it doesn't appear Porsche is moving them very well. I think you'll continue to see pricing pressure on Taycans. Here is a quote from another website regarding their current sales.

"In Q2, Porsche sold 1,635 Porsche Taycan electric cars (all versions), which is 35 percent less than a year ago and the sixth consecutive quarter of year-over-year decrease."

I'd really consider how you plan to use it and what about the Porsche you like better than the S and vice versa. As an aside, most people don't upgrade their brakes. For the vast majority of people, the stock brakes are fine. I would also argue that the Tesla brake kit is higher spec than any available from Porsche on the Taycan.

I'd also look closely at the warranty. The early Taycans have very short battery warranties. I think they were 80k miles. Their drivetrain warranty is limited to 50k miles. The drivetrain warranty has stayed the same for the 2023 models but battery increased to 100k miles. All are 8 years in duration. Compare that to the S which is 150k miles and 8 years. I assume the warranties are similar in the EU for both as the US. Both Porsche and Tesla have the same point of 70% battery remaining, 30% degradation point for battery replacement.

The range is clearly better on the S if that matters to you. Keep in mind the Porsche's already low range is going to further deteriorate with time. You could be at 25% battery degradation after 6 years and the battery is still in spec. So your 200 mile range has just become has just 150 miles. Not mention keeping your battery at a high state of charge (which you would more likely need to do with the Taycan to get the range you might actually need) does accelerate the degradation of the battery.

If acceleration matters to you, there is nothing else like the Plaid. It has been an amazing car for me and this is my second S. I bought a 2022 long range first, ultimately sold it and bought the Plaid. Before I bought the Plaid, I drove all the other comparable EVs out there and still came back to Tesla. The only other one I'd consider than the S, would be the Lucid. Even then service could be an issue and the long term viability of the product. As for the Porsche, there were things I liked better about it than my S but not enough to move me. I also had concerns about how expensive it would be to repair the 2 speed gearbox they have when out of warranty. Just more complexity without much benefit and another thing to break.

I am not someone blinded by Tesla and think everything they do is awesome. It is still a very difficult car to beat in the overall value it brings. I planned on keeping my Plaid long term and the 8 year, 150k warrant on the battery and drivetrain were an important factor. Porsche's warranty was ridiculously low initially and still mediocre now. My past experience with German cars has taught me to sell them when out of warranty as when anything breaks, the repair bill is going to be expensive.

Good luck with whatever you buy. My friends have Taycans and like them. A few of them I've let drive my Plaid and it gives them buyer's remorse
as they enjoy acceleration as much as I do. The Taycan is fairly quick at launch (at least the Turbo S two of my friends have) but at about 60 mph (100 km/h) they fade to about as quick as the S long range where whereas the Plaid still feels like you have rockets strapped to it by comparison.

Reactions: Propofoln
The reason Tayan's prices have fallen is it doesn't appear Porsche is moving them very well. I think you'll continue to see pricing pressure on Taycans. Here is a quote from another website regarding their current sales.

"In Q2, Porsche sold 1,635 Porsche Taycan electric cars (all versions), which is 35 percent less than a year ago and the sixth consecutive quarter of year-over-year decrease."

I'd really consider how you plan to use it and what about the Porsche you like better than the S and vice versa. As an aside, most people don't upgrade their brakes. For the vast majority of people, the stock brakes are fine. I would also argue that the Tesla brake kit is higher spec than any available from Porsche on the Taycan.

I'd also look closely at the warranty. The early Taycans have very short battery warranties. I think they were 80k miles. Their drivetrain warranty is limited to 50k miles. The drivetrain warranty has stayed the same for the 2023 models but battery increased to 100k miles. All are 8 years in duration. Compare that to the S which is 150k miles and 8 years. I assume the warranties are similar in the EU for both as the US. Both Porsche and Tesla have the same point of 70% battery remaining, 30% degradation point for battery replacement.

The range is clearly better on the S if that matters to you. Keep in mind the Porsche's already low range is going to further deteriorate with time. You could be at 25% battery degradation after 6 years and the battery is still in spec. So your 200 mile range has just become has just 150 miles. Not mention keeping your battery at a high state of charge (which you would more likely need to do with the Taycan to get the range you might actually need) does accelerate the degradation of the battery.

If acceleration matters to you, there is nothing else like the Plaid. It has been an amazing car for me and this is my second S. I bought a 2022 long range first, ultimately sold it and bought the Plaid. Before I bought the Plaid, I drove all the other comparable EVs out there and still came back to Tesla. The only other one I'd consider than the S, would be the Lucid. Even then service could be an issue and the long term viability of the product. As for the Porsche, there were things I liked better about it than my S but not enough to move me. I also had concerns about how expensive it would be to repair the 2 speed gearbox they have when out of warranty. Just more complexity without much benefit and another thing to break.

I am not someone blinded by Tesla and think everything they do is awesome. It is still a very difficult car to beat in the overall value it brings. I planned on keeping my Plaid long term and the 8 year, 150k warrant on the battery and drivetrain were an important factor. Porsche's warranty was ridiculously low initially and still mediocre now. My past experience with German cars has taught me to sell them when out of warranty as when anything breaks, the repair bill is going to be expensive.

Good luck with whatever you buy. My friends have Taycans and like them. A few of them I've let drive my Plaid and it gives them buyer's remorse
as they enjoy acceleration as much as I do. The Taycan is fairly quick at launch (at least the Turbo S two of my friends have) but at about 60 mph (100 km/h) they fade to about as quick as the S long range where whereas the Plaid still feels like you have rockets strapped to it by comparison.
My 23 Plaid says 150k battery warranty

Although, the whole point of the insurance payout is that you should be able to find a used version of your vehicle for the payout amount, leaving you no worse off.