Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like the Infrastructure Bill passes! (not the bill with EV tax credits)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone, so to confirm, if I buy a model Y today, and the delivery time is January, I will qualify for the tax incentives for Tesla of $7500 right?
no rebate on Tesla currently. The original one expired when their sales surpassed 200K units a couple of years ago. Anything that might happen in the future is pretty sketchy. In the meantime, tesla keeps increasing the price of their cars. If a rebate does come in you can bet they will increase the price again to capture most of any rebate.

Reactions: MC_EV
The bill passing or not passing will absolutely affect my decision. At $7500 that I could be saving. It sounds like you’re financially well off to where that would not bother you lol
What I meant was (and admittedly didn't say well) was I would not let the tax credit affect my decision to buy or not buy *now*. If you need the $7500 to buy the car, I wouldn't pull the trigger yet because it's not clear if the bill will ever pass. Definitely understandable that whether the credit is available would affect people's decision to buy the car.

Reactions: voxel
What I meant was (and admittedly didn't say well) was I would not let the tax credit affect my decision to buy or not buy *now*. If you need the $7500 to buy the car, I wouldn't pull the trigger yet because it's not clear if the bill will ever pass. Definitely understandable that whether the credit is available would affect people's decision to buy the car.
It stands a good chance of passing, and the potential for an extra $8K in my pocket is too much to pass up. Yesterday I put mine on hold until Jan 1. I’m patient. The worst that happens is that it doesn’t pass and I wait an extra few months for the car.

Reactions: Corndart and vickh
So... If my actual delivery is in December, should I defer for a January delivery to have a chance for a potential $7500 tax credit? Also, is deferring a thing?
You can ask for a hold until a specific date. Your SA will know what to do. Your order page will then say your order is on hold, with a big blue button to take it off hold that says “I’m Ready”. My SA recommended putting the car on hold to be safe, which is why I did it. There are some on this forum who express the concern that this will put them at the back of the line, but this is not the case. EDDs change all the time, and you could get surprised tomorrow with a VIN. Of course you could always reject the car if one gets assigned to you, but there is always the risk of a cancelled order if you do that too often. Not sure how common that is, but Tesla could always decide to take a hard line if people start rejecting orders too often in December. I really don’t know what the best strategy is here so thought I would do the safe thing and put the order on hold. December will be an interesting month here on TMC if this bill passes.

Typically Tesla has a huge press to get every US order delivered as possible before EOY.

In January they will be building for export, so few local deliveries will be made until Spring.

By delaying at the EOY, you may have a several months wait to get your car.

Reactions: voxel
So today I checked my account and since its been 2 months since I placed an order, my credit offer has expired.
So, if I complete the details again will it run a credit check again? Even though my husband said its ok, I don't want my credit score to be checked over and over especially when I don't know when is my car delivery.
Then on the other hand, I thought if I don't complete my details, my order will be kinda incomplete and will that put me in the back of the queue? My EDD is Dec 23-Dec31 at the moment and is consistent for the last 2 weeks. Not sure if not completing my profile will put me back in line or still keep me in the same spot? Any idea? Little back in line I won't mind, might prove beneficial for me and I might be line for EV tax credit if my delivery moves to next year. :)

So today I checked my account and since its been 2 months since I placed an order, my credit offer has expired.
So, if I complete the details again will it run a credit check again? Even though my husband said its ok, I don't want my credit score to be checked over and over especially when I don't know when is my car delivery.
Then on the other hand, I thought if I don't complete my details, my order will be kinda incomplete and will that put me in the back of the queue? My EDD is Dec 23-Dec31 at the moment and is consistent for the last 2 weeks. Not sure if not completing my profile will put me back in line or still keep me in the same spot? Any idea? Little back in line I won't mind, might prove beneficial for me and I might be line for EV tax credit if my delivery moves to next year. :)
You should leave it as cash and only apply for a loan when you get a VIN.

External loans will need a MVPA which only can be generated with a VIN and specific location (to calc transport fees if you buy from inventory). My BoA loan was initially rejected because my MVPA was inaccurate.

You should leave it as cash and only apply for a loan when you get a VIN.

External loans will need a MVPA which only can be generated with a VIN and specific location (to calc transport fees if you buy from inventory). My BoA loan was initially rejected because my MVPA was inaccurate.
If I leave it as cash, there won't be a problem switching to loan later on?

Also, any idea if I don't choose anything will it put me all the way back in line?

If I leave it as cash, there won't be a problem switching to loan later on?
No, if you go to the waiting room thread you will see many people have done that before.
Also, any idea if I don't choose anything will it put me all the way back in line?
If you mean to just leave the expired financing offer there and don't act on it, I'm not sure as I haven't seen anyone brave enough to ignore it :cool:

Reactions: pgcoco
You can ask for a hold until a specific date. Your SA will know what to do. Your order page will then say your order is on hold, with a big blue button to take it off hold that says “I’m Ready”. My SA recommended putting the car on hold to be safe, which is why I did it. There are some on this forum who express the concern that this will put them at the back of the line, but this is not the case. EDDs change all the time, and you could get surprised tomorrow with a VIN. Of course you could always reject the car if one gets assigned to you, but there is always the risk of a cancelled order if you do that too often. Not sure how common that is, but Tesla could always decide to take a hard line if people start rejecting orders too often in December. I really don’t know what the best strategy is here so thought I would do the safe thing and put the order on hold. December will be an interesting month here on TMC if this bill passes.
thx... kind of lame the tax credit wouldn't be retroactive... i've been waiting since aug and the fact that i might have to consider deferring is just sad.

Taking delivery 11/15.
Not gonna bother waiting.

Similar boat here but on the fence. Likely going to see how things are going with the vote. If all the clowns are still posturing and deal not looking imminent in a couple weeks then I’m going to take delivery.

One of my concerns is waiting but value of my trade going down or something happening to my current vehicle that creates additional expense or decreases value.

One extra calendar year and a few thousand extra miles on a German sports car won’t do me any favors either… so it’s take the guaranteed money on the table or wait for a potential credit dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Tomcool
Typically Tesla has a huge press to get every US order delivered as possible before EOY.

In January they will be building for export, so few local deliveries will be made until Spring.

By delaying at the EOY, you may have a several months wait to get your car.
This was true in the past. Mostly S/X from Fremont are being exported. 3/Y are being exported from Giga Shanghai to Europe so Fremont is focusing almost all output on North American 3/Y orders.

Reactions: Corndart