Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose Aero wheel nut caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
I don’t know if anyone else has found this, but all my Tesla OEM black plastic wheel nut caps are a loose fit. I haven’t lost any yet!
My pressure washer whips them off with ease and it’s not on full bore. My air blaster that I dry the car with also takes them off. They could do with being an interference fit.
Quite how they stay put is a mystery.

anyone had the problem and solved it?

I don’t know if anyone else has found this, but all my Tesla OEM black plastic wheel nut caps are a loose fit. I haven’t lost any yet!
My pressure washer whips them off with ease and it’s not on full bore. My air blaster that I dry the car with also takes them off. They could do with being an interference fit.

Lost a couple of sets on my Audi. Got one set replaced on warranty, after that gave up. They all just fall off. Must be hundreds in gutters and motorway verges...

I noticed this on my 2021, my 2020 they were fine, I put a very small piece of insulating tape over the not and pushed them on, seems fine so far.
That was another thought I had. I haven’t quite dismissed it but the tape might stretch the cover and when anyone takes a wheel off and the tape goes walkies, the cover might end up looser.

I think the separate nut caps are being discontinued and replaced by a new Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit (pic below). The new Cap Kit is on the US Tesla store and they don't have the old one listed any more (and the old cap kit is out of stock on the UK Tesla store).

cap-kit.jpg

• Love
Reactions: WarpedOne

It would seem the answer is to have a cheapo set off Amazon ... they fit snugly! (I only used them for a few weeks and don't routinely have them fitted actually.)

For the moment, I’ve put blue binding tape around the inside of each cap. (My sparky left me some)
It’s more like masking tape. A smooth tape was no use.
All the caps have passed the air blower test. None moved in the slightest