Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lorry smash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you are unharmed. The M3 certainly did a great job protecting you.

An EQC 400 is not a reasonable replacement for a M3..
1. It is a SUV, not a car.
2. It has a range of barely 220 miles in the real world.

I'd decline it and insist on a Tesla M as a loan car.

Glad you are unharmed. The M3 certainly did a great job protecting you.

An EQC 400 is not a reasonable replacement for a M3..
1. It is a SUV, not a car.
2. It has a range of barely 220 miles in the real world.

I'd decline it and insist on a Tesla M as a loan car.
That might be perfectly fine for @Smiddy though. We don't know his usage patterns or needs.

On the face of it a Merc EQC 400 sounds like a pretty decent car to have as a loaner. I wouldn't lose sleep over it not being a Tesla for a short period of time.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
That might be perfectly fine for @Smiddy though. We don't know his usage patterns or needs.

On the face of it a Merc EQC 400 sounds like a pretty decent car to have as a loaner. I wouldn't lose sleep over it not being a Tesla for a short period of time.
I had on for a test drive, slightly better than the dire EQA, but not much. I'm a long term Mercedes fan and have driven them since 1990. I really wanted Mercedes to offer something to properly compete with the Tesla, but they don't and I don't see on any time soon.

Reactions: Durzel
Hi all,

Had a great start to the new year today, driving back from dropping the other half off at work this morning, was sat in stationary in a long queue of traffic up to a set of lights and lorry rear end me and pushed me in to the back of the van in front of me which had a tow bar that made a lovely big dent in the front as well.

Car has been recovered and now sorting all the insurance bits, transport company has admitted full fault and their insurance is covering everything but I have a feeling the Model 3 will be a write off. Damage to the van in front of me looked minimal, it had bent the tow bar up a bit and a slight dent in the bottom of the back door.

I think the car did very well, the back of it must be solid.

Replacement car is arriving in the morning they are sending a Mercedes EQC 400

View attachment 751960
View attachment 751961View attachment 751962
Oh dear that looks pretty bad glad you are OK.

Tesla Parts take forever as I found to my cost after an Incident with a Deer so sadly expect this to take Months not Weeks.

You might want to have a word with Volvo, then... ;-)

"From 1st November 2015, the General Safety Regulation has required the fitment of Advanced Emergency Braking Systems to new vehicles of categories M2, M3, N2 and N3."
No need to 'have a word' with anyone as with all the extra equipment fitted to front of our trucks each has to go through the SVA which renders parts of the GSR irrelevant also the truck the op had the altercation with (whom i'm glad is ok) is the previous Gen Scania built before 2016 so is unlikely to have AEB anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Battpower
I think HGVs are extremely dangerous things - I can't for the life of me see why there isn't a law to fit AEB on them as standard. People have been killed after been rear-ended by HGV drivers. If we have the technology to stop it, and it is inexpensive, then why on earth wouldn't you install it?

Because, quite frankly. Its garbage. I've lost count the number of times my truck has slammed on because there's a bridge in the distance, or its raining or something.

Phantom breaking is scary in my Tesla, its a lot more scary when your dragging 44 tonnes down the road.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro and Mr H
I think HGVs are extremely dangerous things - I can't for the life of me see why there isn't a law to fit AEB on them as standard. People have been killed after been rear-ended by HGV drivers. If we have the technology to stop it, and it is inexpensive, then why on earth wouldn't you install it?
And people have been killed after being rear ended by car and van drivers so your point is meaningless. Take a ride in a truck one day and see how much *sugar* we have to put with from stupid,dangerous and inattentive drivers. Eg. I joined the M1south at Leeds from the M62 which puts you in the right lane on the slip road, the idiot in the car on the near side was completely oblivious that I was even there and was more interested yakking to the passenger, a quick blast of the air horns soon woke the idiot up.

I only saw your post because Billbrown quoted it as your anti-truck rhetoric banished you to my ignore list a long time ago.

Thanks guys, had a bit of an aching neck Wednesday morning but that as cleared up, went to the doctors for a check up to be on the safe side.

The EQC arrived 8:30 Wednesday morning, its alright but I miss my Tesla already. I wouldn't say it feels like a £69k car, Ive been given the AMG Line but from what I've seen all the things you want are on the top spec AMG Line Premium Plus which is £73k+, the one I have doesnt even comes with apple car play (first world problems I know but you think a car like this would come with it in every trim level).

Things I like -

Excellent Matrix LED headlights, they are much brighter than the Model 3 headlights and are just amazing on pitch black roads.
Smooth and quiet ride. There is hardly any road noise at all.
Seats hold in you better but arent as comfortable as the Tesla.
The auto regen setting is interesting, havent played with it much but it detects if it thinks you should coast (which it does very well) or if you should have stronger regen i.e cars in front of you are slowing down.
- Keyless go and entry, except with the keyless entry you still have to touch the door handle to lock and unlock, its not quite as automatic as the Tesla.
- The rear camera is hidden in the badge and pops out when needed, this means its not constantly covered in dirt, I know the Tesla needs it for auto pilot etc but its not having to clean it off all the time. I noticed the i-Pace has a washer jet on theirs, I feel like the Tesla needs this.
- Power tailgate. (dont have this on my 2019 M3)

Things I dont like -

- Can't schedule charging, apparently it was a feature and they removed it because it didnt work properly. I know some chargers have the feature but I have a Tesla wall connector and the schedule charging in the Tesla worked perfectly.
- Its the AMG line so it comes with running boards but the car isnt that high so they just get in the way and this time of year just cover the back the back of your leg with dirt.
- Settings like driving dynamic and regen strength reset for every drive, this is driving me mad. The car resets to eco with no regen every time, Ive checked all the settings and the best you can do is have it ask if you want to restore to the last driving profile used but this still doesnt turn regen back on.
- For some reason it has a start / stop button.
- Seats arent fully electric and no memory. The only manual part is for moving it forwards and backwards, again on a car this expensive they could have just made them fully electric.
- Door for the charge port is massive and the charge port has extra cover inside it.

The range isnt really an issue at the moment but you wont get much more than 200 miles from a full charge, I work from home a lot of the time and the other half only works about 15 minutes away. I did go and test charging at a local 150kW rapid charger, it charged at a max of 85kW but then max for the car is 110kW.

Currently waiting for the insurance company to collect the car from the recovery yard to have an engineer inspect it and decide if they are going repair it or not.

Couple of other things I forgot - most of the time it runs on just the front motor so you get a bit of wheel spin coming out of junctions sometimes and the brake pedal is crap, with the Tesla there isnt really any different feel when going from regan to actual brakes but in the Merc you definitely feel the difference and you can often go from slowing down from regen to strong braking, with regen the pedal is fairly firm until the brakes kick in.

That was quite a shunt and I'm glad you're safe. I'm reassurred by the strength of the Tesla where it counts. I really hope you get this resolved satisfactorily soon. Please keep us updated on the progress, or otherwise, of your claim and the antics of the insurance companies.

And people have been killed after being rear ended by car and van drivers so your point is meaningless. Take a ride in a truck one day and see how much *sugar* we have to put with from stupid,dangerous and inattentive drivers. Eg. I joined the M1south at Leeds from the M62 which puts you in the right lane on the slip road, the idiot in the car on the near side was completely oblivious that I was even there and was more interested yakking to the passenger, a quick blast of the air horns soon woke the idiot up.

I only saw your post because Billbrown quoted it as your anti-truck rhetoric banished you to my ignore list a long time ago.
Come off it - we all know HGV drivers spend most of their time watching films or playing with their phones. That or overtaking other trucks at about half a mph difference, causing big queues behind them. How do these so called 'professional' drivers cause so many accidents? Driving for hours on end is not a natural thing to do, and only attracts loners and oddballs. The best way to fix the problem is to automate the system and remove the drivers.

in the right lane on the slip road, the idiot in the car on the near side was completely oblivious that I was even there and was more interested yakking to the passenger, a quick blast of the air horns soon woke the idiot up.

Those broken white lines do mean "give way", to be fair. There's a difference between ignorant driving and bullying your way onto a motorway from the slip road.

Come off it - we all know HGV drivers spend most of their time watching films or playing with their phones. That or overtaking other trucks at about half a mph difference, causing big queues behind them. How do these so called 'professional' drivers cause so many accidents? Driving for hours on end is not a natural thing to do, and only attracts loners and oddballs. The best way to fix the problem is to automate the system and remove the drivers.
Wow, you are an idiot aren't you. Can see why Mr H blocked you. I think I will do the same.

Reactions: M1tch and Mr H
Those broken white lines do mean "give way", to be fair. There's a difference between ignorant driving and bullying your way onto a motorway from the slip road.
But the highway code still says

"Use the slip road to accelerate until your speed matches that of the traffic on the motorway. Check there's a suitable gap in the left-hand lane. ... You must give priority to traffic already on the motorway: do not force your way into the traffic stream."

The onus is on the joining vehicle to match speed and slip in, not the other way around. Don't get me wrong, if at all possible I will give way, especially in my truck when i'm taking up more room, but it only takes one car sitting up the side of me in the middle lane or coming up from behind me at speed and i'm stuck sitting there.

The amount of times i've watched cars coming down the slip road, blinkers on not even looking over their shoulder, then getting to the end and smashing on their breaks because they have only just realised that i'm there!

The quality of driving in this country has honestly got worse over the last 30 years or so, which is strange to me as the test has only been made harder and harder.

But anyway, lets not let this thread get off topic. This is about the OP and his safety/car repair.

Reactions: Mr H and Beady3647
But the highway code still says

"Use the slip road to accelerate until your speed matches that of the traffic on the motorway. Check there's a suitable gap in the left-hand lane. ... You must give priority to traffic already on the motorway: do not force your way into the traffic stream."

The onus is on the joining vehicle to match speed and slip in, not the other way around. Don't get me wrong, if at all possible I will give way, especially in my truck when i'm taking up more room, but it only takes one car sitting up the side of me in the middle lane or coming up from behind me at speed and i'm stuck sitting there.

The amount of times i've watched cars coming down the slip road, blinkers on not even looking over their shoulder, then getting to the end and smashing on their breaks because they have only just realised that i'm there!

The quality of driving in this country has honestly got worse over the last 30 years or so, which is strange to me as the test has only been made harder and harder.

But anyway, lets not let this thread get off topic. This is about the OP and his safety/car repair.
*brakes

I'm thinking of starting a car rental company that does accident management. More than 2 weeks now and my car is still at the recovery yard. I thought about chasing them but I'm interested to see how long it takes them to do anything.

I have found Carplay in the Mercedes...under the shop menu
carplay.jpeg

don't like trucks then don't buy ANYTHING, go live in a cave with the other neanderthals

Reactions: Billbrown1982
More than 2 weeks now and my car is still at the recovery yard.

My car was left in a recovery yard for 10 days after an accident I had back last autumn. I found out that the body shop was waiting for Direct Line to deliver to them and DL hadn’t bothered to arrange it as, apart from Teslas, all other cars can be collected by the body shop. It’s a DL policy.

I was p!ssed off as DL needed to pay £360 to the recovery yard to get the car out and that obviously gets added to the final cost of the insurance claim (I was deemed at fault).

Maybe I build a recovery yard business and you take the loan car business.

• Funny
Reactions: Smiddy