Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

:( losing 25-30 miles while idled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I've been trauling through similar posts on battery drain whilst idled. But I've tried literally everything I can think of. Disabled summon, cabin protection, sentry etc including having stopped using the apps. I'm losing about 25miles overnight and despite that it's getting a bit colder now here in London UK it just seems like an awful lot. I'm using more mileage whilst idle than I do driving :(

Model S 75D 2017 (September build)
SW 2019.32.12.3

Is 'power saving' the same as 'energy saving'? If so, then yep I have this on.. but I also have 'always connected' on

I'll try having 'always connected' turned off but bit worried considering I'll lose tracking etc if the car is stolen. I think...

I've only had the car for a bit over a month and didn't experience this much of decrease over night until recently. Maybe it's the cold weather, or the software update. Also I've usually had the car plugged in over night, but I think it keeps discharging and then recharging so I haven't noticed.

Hey all, I've been trauling through similar posts on battery drain whilst idled. But I've tried literally everything I can think of. Disabled summon, cabin protection, sentry etc including having stopped using the apps. I'm losing about 25miles overnight and despite that it's getting a bit colder now here in London UK it just seems like an awful lot. I'm using more mileage whilst idle than I do driving :(

Model S 75D 2017 (September build)
SW 2019.32.12.3

Have you made sure there are no third party apps or API interfaces keeping your car awake? Are you the original owner of the car?

What is the external temperature where the car is parked? Are you saying you have 25-30 miles of "vampire drain" per day? Did you bring this up with your local Tesla SC? They can probably pull logs and tell you exactly what is happening.

Reactions: nikhon
I'm no expert, but I discovered something similar and found a solution after I did a number of things, all of which appeared to be a cause for range hits (per Stats App data logging):

First, I unplugged the USB while at home and this seemed to stop whatever craziness was going on with the USB card. I usually got this at about the same time that the Sentry folder remained blank even though it should have events in it. However a few days later it happened again without the USB.

Second, I disengaged the Stats app completely. This seemed to have an issue with being connected too long at times. Same with the Tesla app at times.

And last, I found that my bluetooth from the car stayed on, even though the radio was supposedly turned off while the car was off at home. I found this aberrant connection on a saturday when I hadn't driven my car all day. The Tesla App, namely "Tesla Model 3" was not connected, but there was this crazy connection with a long unidentifiable device name with numbers. I was able to track it to the Iphone to Tesla radio connection. I presume that this occurs when I'm playing songs from the phone. Not certain if this also runs the telephone directory to the Tesla App. I haven't had the chance to check this.

This weekend the USB has been attached all weekend, Stats App and Tesla app connected intermittently, but closed and my total weekend drain has been 11 miles. Previously 52 idle miles per weekend (last weekend without driving on either saturday or sunday).

Again, I'm no expert, but hope this helps.

/Rick.

Have you made sure there are no third party apps or API interfaces keeping your car awake? Are you the original owner of the car?

What is the external temperature where the car is parked? Are you saying you have 25-30 miles of "vampire drain" per day? Did you bring this up with your local Tesla SC? They can probably pull logs and tell you exactly what is happening.

Im fairly certain I have all third party apps disconnected. Good point regarding previous owner. I would have thought that they would need my credentials once the ownership transferred.

Temperature currently is 4°c.. so it's getting colder.

Yep, it's an average for 20miles of vampire drain. I have the car booked in with the SC for the 17th of December (earliest appointment) until then I'll be testing out everyone's suggestions.

I'm no expert, but I discovered something similar and found a solution after I did a number of things, all of which appeared to be a cause for range hits (per Stats App data logging):

First, I unplugged the USB while at home and this seemed to stop whatever craziness was going on with the USB card. I usually got this at about the same time that the Sentry folder remained blank even though it should have events in it. However a few days later it happened again without the USB.

Second, I disengaged the Stats app completely. This seemed to have an issue with being connected too long at times. Same with the Tesla app at times.

And last, I found that my bluetooth from the car stayed on, even though the radio was supposedly turned off while the car was off at home. I found this aberrant connection on a saturday when I hadn't driven my car all day. The Tesla App, namely "Tesla Model 3" was not connected, but there was this crazy connection with a long unidentifiable device name with numbers. I was able to track it to the Iphone to Tesla radio connection. I presume that this occurs when I'm playing songs from the phone. Not certain if this also runs the telephone directory to the Tesla App. I haven't had the chance to check this.

This weekend the USB has been attached all weekend, Stats App and Tesla app connected intermittently, but closed and my total weekend drain has been 11 miles. Previously 52 idle miles per weekend (last weekend without driving on either saturday or sunday).

Again, I'm no expert, but hope this helps.

/Rick.
Wow Rick, I thought I was alone here with this amount of drain, but glad someone else has experienced it and has overcome it. 52miles of idle drain on a weekend is no joke.

Very interesting regarding Bluetooth, this is one thing I haven't tried at all yet. I had played around with connecting my phone a week or so ago. Maybe Bluetooth is always searching for devices or something. I'm assume by disabling 'always connected' should switch that off too.

There should be a feature to list the components that are consuming all the power.. I think that would be handy.

Interestingly, i woke up to a software update, (this forum must be monitored ) . Fingerscrossed updating to 2019.32.12.7 also helps

Putting my money on a wake-up issue, sentry mode, something like that.

Temperature should not be having you lose ~10%. I'm British but up in Northern Sweden with the car at the moment and even in -18c range loss is almost zero. I expect if the temperature goes below minus 25 or so then the battery heater may turn on to prevent the cells from freezing (I believe this happens around -40).

A London winter should be a piece of cake.

I have range mode 'on', should I turn that off?

It's definitely getting colder here in London. 4°c this morning.. probably colder over night. Regarding the battery warmer.. would this be running all night?

oh; no the battery warmer doesn’t run all night, only when you pre heat the cabin or drive. If you have range mode on the battery heater doesn’t ever turn on as far as I understand. In London you probably don’t really need it. Where I live it can hit -30 so I like to have range mode off in the winter so the pack heater kicks in.

Thanks for the advice guys. I woke this morning with vampire drain gone completely. Didn't lose a single mile overnight this evening over a 12 hour period. I hadn't changed anything at all accept updating from 2019.32.12.3 to 2019.32.12.7.

For certain, something in 2019.23.12.3 was killing my battery. I read something about extra logging happening for this version. But who knows ..

I havent had a chance to look at the settings after 2019.32.12.7 installed but if I notice anything I'll let you know. Feels weird that I'd go from 25-30miles of vampire drain to 0 miles of drain over night.. hope it stays like this. This makes me wonder if there should also be a feature to save a software state so you can roll back to previous version and setting if you ever encounter after an update.

I have a feeling switching software didn't don’t do it for you. There must have been something running when you had the large drain. But who knows there could have been some kind of bug that was triggered on your car.

have you subscribed to something like TeslaFI? I find it very handy for looking at the history of your vehicle particularly when it’s doing something weird. There is a lot of info handy for diagnosing things.

I have a feeling switching software didn't don’t do it for you. There must have been something running when you had the large drain. But who knows there could have been some kind of bug that was triggered on your car.

have you subscribed to something like TeslaFI? I find it very handy for looking at the history of your vehicle particularly when it’s doing something weird. There is a lot of info handy for diagnosing things.

Possibly, maybe the software reset something? I'm not sure. I still can't believe it myself to be honest.

I havent used TeslaFi yet, I was considering it but then had the extreme drain and everywhere said not to use third party apps. Will research more into TeslaFi and give it a go.

I have the exact same problem.... I lost 26 miles sitting in the parking lot at work yesterday. The Temp was around 20 F when I arrived at work at 7:00am and about 39 F when I left at 4:30PM.
2015 P90D its my first full winter with the car last winter I only had it from January on. It was the same thing. The colder the day the more the loss. I just thought it was normal. I do start warming the car as I walk out, but we are talking about 3 minutes worth of walking.
What else so I look to change so the drain is zero?