Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing enthusiasm for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that FSD will be safer than a human across the board when it's ready, which will take a while. Other companies are using different sensors, like lidar, that allow their cars to perform better than just radar/cameras, but at the same time, those sensors appear to have some significant blind spots, which i think the recent accident in Arizona is an example of. Roads were built for motorists with eyes, not lidar, which means there are likely more corner cases that it can't pick up and systems based on vision can, although it can perform much better in many other situations.

Have you seen the cockpit video from that incident? A human driver would not have fared any better than the car did, in my humble opinion.

My guess is that FSD will be safer than a human across the board when it's ready, which will take a while. Other companies are using different sensors, like lidar, that allow their cars to perform better than just radar/cameras, but at the same time, those sensors appear to have some significant blind spots, which i think the recent accident in Arizona is an example of. Roads were built for motorists with eyes, not lidar, which means there are likely more corner cases that it can't pick up and systems based on vision can, although it can perform much better in many other situations.

The best system will most likely have a lot of redundant sensors. The Model 3 only has a few. In this case, more is always going to be better. The Model 3 is a fabulous car. It is amazing. It's not going to be a good platform for FSD.

There is no way to be certain that full autonomy will be available on current hardware and I am just working under the assumption that Tesla will either fail or have to do upgrades for customers who have purchased fully autonomy.

Think of it from a logical argument point of view. The facts do not support the conclusion. There are zero fully autonomous vehicles in the world today. Zero. None. Even the most advanced vehicles by Waymo or GM aren't there yet. So if there are no fully autonomous vehicles in use how can anyone be sure the current hardware will meet the needs of a fully autonomous platform? They can't be sure. They can guess. They can bet. But they can't be sure.

Which is why it's all the more ridiculous when Musk says Tesla will have it in a year. But that's one of his shortcomings: He says "we will" when what he means is "I would like." Once you understand his manner of speaking it all makes sense.

Have you seen the cockpit video from that incident? A human driver would not have fared any better than the car did, in my humble opinion.
People are horrible drivers no doubt but that video is very misleading if not doctored.
This is what it actually looks like when not recorded on a crappy dash cam:
kaufman_tempe-800x445.png

Police chief said Uber victim “came from the shadows”—don’t believe it

Yes, It works. Sometimes. If "sometimes" is good enough for you, go for it. If "most of the time" is good enough for you, no worries. But. If you want reliability, today, next year, if you don't want to waste a moment wondering "Oh oh, I got a new phone. Will it work?" then it's not a very good solution.

I disagree. I've only had my 3 for about a week and a half, but the phone has not yet failed to unlock the car when I came up to it, and I have not had to use the keycard once.

Also remember that the technology here is Bluetooth, a well-defined and mature standard. I have a very old Bluetooth earpiece that I purchased along with a Samsung Omnia phone in July of 2008, right when the Omnia came out. That Bluetooth earpiece works perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ today, that's SEVEN phones ago (Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 3, Samsung Note 4, Samsung Note 7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S8+).

I disagree. I've only had my 3 for about a week and a half, but the phone has not yet failed to unlock the car when I came up to it, and I have not had to use the keycard once.

Also remember that the technology here is Bluetooth, a well-defined and mature standard. I have a very old Bluetooth earpiece that I purchased along with a Samsung Omnia phone in July of 2008, right when the Omnia came out. That Bluetooth earpiece works perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ today, that's SEVEN phones ago (Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 3, Samsung Note 4, Samsung Note 7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S8+).
Glad it's working for you. Hope it continues.
Robin

The Police released the dash cam video, I doubt they doctored it.

Definitely visibility was better though than the video would have indicated.
They may have gotten it from Uber though. Uber doesn't have the best reputation. I want self driving as much as anyone but it's surprising to see so many people defending Uber here. Would you drive a car with headlights that only illuminate 2 seconds ahead at 40mph? Clearly it's a software problem and they should be forced to release all the raw data and an analysis of what went wrong.

You are fortunate. You have one of the phones that works. This person doesn't. And as I noted in that thread, not everyone has a smartphone. I know people that don't have a mobile phone at all. I'm also one of the fortunate many: I also have a phone that "works." It's still a damn nuisance if I want to open the frunk. With a key fob you just push the button. With a phone, you turn it on, enter your passcode, scroll to the page with the Tesla app, open the app, scroll to the screen with the frunk button, press it, turn the phone off and put it away. Either that, or open the door and lean awkwardly in with my hands full of grocery bags to press the rather small Open button over the picture of the car.

I love this car. But the phone as key is an idiotic idea that only serves to make the car seem "space age." No, I'm being harsh. The app is a great idea. Not providing a key fob is a horrible idea. And not having a physical key to get into the car in an emergency is almost criminal.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
Maybe, although a person might have seen enough to at least hit the brakes and/or swerve prior to hitting the pedestrian.

Police chief said Uber victim “came from the shadows”—don’t believe it

A self driving car should be better than a person, and if the car didn't brake or swerve prior to the collision, I think there's some hardware or software issue that resulted in it not seeing or percieving the pedestrian for some reason.

Reactions: tmoz
Caution when projecting today's technology 10 yrs into the future. Most likely biosensors will be all that you need.
Phone/Fob issue will not apply as advanced technology, with its own sets of problems, will make the phone fob issue irrelevant.

Caution when projecting today's technology 10 yrs into the future. Most likely biosensors will be all that you need.
Phone/Fob issue will not apply as advanced technology, with its own sets of problems, will make the phone fob issue irrelevant.

That's new cars in ten years. Even as little as five years from now, the 2018 Model 3 might not function with the new phones. People may have to keep their old phone just to get into their car. Then you have to have two phones: The one you actually use, and the one that's your car key.

It's not stupid. It solves several problems that other car manufacturers don't want to bother to address.

1. Security. Normal key fobs are vulnerable to the signal repeater attacks. Watch theives steal a car this way. You have to have a challenge-authentication protocol between the keyfob and the car to prevent this. That makes the keyfobs expensive as hell.

2. Easy to add/delete keys -- just go to the touchscreen.

3. Renting the car out? Add the renter's phone ... delete it when you get the car back.

4. Lose your phone or get it stolen? Delete it, add your new one.

5. Change spouses? Delete old spouse's phone, add new one. ;)

Instead of making people pay $200+ for a keyfob, they made the cost $0. That's not stupid, that's genius.

I'm sure Tesla could probably make a dedicated keyfob for you. But would you pay the extra $300 for it?

Regarding key fobs, the Bolt's RKE (FOB) is like $60, physical key extra, and can be self programmed. Leaf has similar costs. So, other than Tesla, other manufacturer FOBs are cheap to replace. I have yet to replace any of my previous/current vehicles keys or FOBs....and I keep my cars for 10+ years.

OEM = Orginal Equipment Manufacturer. So, yeah...I like my car to unlock per factory design. I think its more secure than anyone with a 9V battery opening the Model 3 "frunk".

Obviously they're OEM and work the same way. C'mon, dude, I'm not stupid. The point that I'm making is that anyone can obtain the key necessary to open your car because the technology used in those keyfobs is simple rolling code, just like a garage door opener. Did you see the video I posted above that shows clearly that the old technology is not good enough to keep your car secure? Those thieves made off with the car in about 60 seconds without damaging it. That's disturbing. With these readily available keys, the same technology can program it without your knowledge and they they just drive off with your car.

You're grossly mistaken if you think that the Model 3 frunk can be opened with a 9V battery. That feature only works if the 12V inside the car is dead. Otherwise, that feature is disabled. Do you really think the Tesla engineers are that stupid? Thinking others are stupid seems to be a pattern with you.

If we're going to continue discussing the various issues with keyfobs and the Model 3 security, two things will need to happen: 1. You need to start posting factual data, not your suppositions that are incorrect. 2. The flippant and dismissive tone of your posts can disappear. I've been more than nice and accomodating in the previous posts, but that's over now.

If you don't like the phone as a key model, fine, that's your preference. Go buy something other than the Model 3. There's 500,000 people who will get to move up one place in line.

Obviously they're OEM and work the same way. C'mon, dude, I'm not stupid. The point that I'm making is that anyone can obtain the key necessary to open your car because the technology used in those keyfobs is simple rolling code, just like a garage door opener. Did you see the video I posted above that shows clearly that the old technology is not good enough to keep your car secure? Those thieves made off with the car in about 60 seconds without damaging it. That's disturbing. With these readily available keys, the same technology can program it without your knowledge and they they just drive off with your car.

You're grossly mistaken if you think that the Model 3 frunk can be opened with a 9V battery. That feature only works if the 12V inside the car is dead. Otherwise, that feature is disabled. Do you really think the Tesla engineers are that stupid? Thinking others are stupid seems to be a pattern with you.

If we're going to continue discussing the various issues with keyfobs and the Model 3 security, two things will need to happen: 1. You need to start posting factual data, not your suppositions that are incorrect. 2. The flippant and dismissive tone of your posts can disappear. I've been more than nice and accomodating in the previous posts, but that's over now.

If you don't like the phone as a key model, fine, that's your preference. Go buy something other than the Model 3. There's 500,000 people who will get to move up one place in line.
Hhhhhhhh....Just stating that FOBs can be had for cheaper than retail... hhhhh. Your the one who brought up the knock off and security thing... hhhh...you feel better now?

Regarding this:
"You're grossly mistaken if you think that the Model 3 frunk can be opened with a 9V battery. That feature only works if the 12V inside the car is dead. Otherwise, that feature is disabled. Do you really think the Tesla engineers are that stupid? Thinking others are stupid seems to be a pattern with you."

Last edited: