Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing interest in the Tesla Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The autopilot and smart cruise control are not products created by Tesla, rather they are developed by an Israeli company who sells the technology to any car company with a checkbook. I had a 2015 P90D with Autopilot. After I dumped the car due to continuing excessive and major problems I bought an older car, namely a 2014 Mercedes E550. It may be a year older, but guess what? It has the same technology, the cruise control is called Distronic and works the same as Tesla in all respects. The lane centering capability is actually better than the occasionally wonky system in my Tesla that would often do unexpected, violent actions.
Agreed. I rented a Volvo (didn't note the model) last week in Europe and was amazed by the drive.
I felt like I was in a loaner Tesla S*. Not mine. It reacted exactly the same way when it detected lane markings, etc.
* Not electric drive stuff ... it was a diesel.

• Disagree
Reactions: unbelievable
All of a sudden or over time really doesnt matter because it's the same end result. As far as anyone knows or doesnt know what tesla is doing they could have a new model S in the works. Ive said this over and over, Tesla is doing things the way they feel they need to in order to make money/survive and why is that so hard for people to see. They are a business and just like all business if they dont adjust there sales model they will not make it. You dont like the product move on and go buy something else you can wine and complain about because if you think Tesla is the only one making tough decisions your must live on a rock.

Tesla is a soon-to-be 10 year old "startup".

It's like pissing to keep your pants warm. Maybe they need to do this right now, and risk permanent brand damage, but they can't expect or require customers to be that patient and understanding.

It's like pissing to keep your pants warm. Maybe they need to do this right now, and risk permanent brand damage, but they can't expect or require customers to be that patient and understanding.

I work for a startup and weve been in business for 8 years. Were still learning and will continue to learn and adapt and change accordingly. We recently had to cancel a project due to its budget and we have many unhappy customers that put deposits down and now will not get what they expected. Will some leave us and go elsewhere? Maybe. Most will be offered a discount on a different model and or refunded there initial deposit. How Tesla adapts and changes over the years will be different than other companies. They are free to run there business how they see fit and deal with the consequences accordingly.

I work for a startup and weve been in business for 8 years. Were still learning and will continue to learn and adapt and change accordingly. We recently had to cancel a project due to its budget and we have many unhappy customers that put deposits down and now will not get what they expected. Will some leave us and go elsewhere? Maybe. Most will be offered a discount on a different model and or refunded there initial deposit. How Tesla adapts and changes over the years will be different than other companies. They are free to run there business how they see fit and deal with the consequences accordingly.

Indeed, different people and companies do different things, nothing new there, but again, possibly a very bad move that has converted me from an enthustiatic owner and "early adopter" to a grumphy "sitting on the fence and wait" kinda guy.

I'll comment that I came into Tesla at the end of 2017 as a regular consumer - not some "early adopter", investor, or fanatic. I have no objective other can purchasing a fair product. When people excuse the company's recent behaviour by defending the company's existence or quoting some benevolent mission, it has nothing to do with me. I see them manipulating prices, stealing pre-order money (and offering to let you buy more non-existent pre-ordered products as consolation), and revising promises.

This whole situation is also being aggravated by the cult nature of some of the company's fans. It is hard to get them to even admit that something has gone horribly wrong, and they are more than willing to rush in and buy more stuff. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or something, but when I hear about a business screwing its customers and employees, I don't spend any money there.

Regardless of the amount loss on my end, this FU-style of conduct and the negatively irrational culture of a portion of its fanbase makes me reconsider ever doing business with Tesla again. I'm going to wait and see what comes of all of this in the next few weeks.

As you keep typing it, you obviously don't know the difference!
The word is THEIR.

All vehicle manufactures have done this so stop whining and realize it's all part of doing business. How hard is that for people understand. It happens in all retail environments.
How hard is it for some people to look outside their own world and realise that the price drop they saw wasn't the same everywhere. Ask those buyers in Taiwan and China how if feels to find out your car is now 50% cheaper than it was the day before. Never ever seen that happen in the automotive world and nor should it.

Oh I'm grateful......that they will sell THERE teslas sooner than later

tenor.gif

@whitex, would you happen to know if this is still the case? I've a Gen1 HPWC. So, a guest with a new MS can't charge off my HPWC? This would be pretty bad.
Correct, it might not work, it might for and then stop, different people report different modes of failure, but Tesla pretty much admitted there is an issue so if you have a Gen1 HPWC and a 2018 car, they'll swap it for a new one for free (the new charger is free, not the installation/swapping costs). If you're going to have guests with 2018 or newer Teslas, make sure you have a NEMA14-50 available for the mobile connector.
Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
I am done with "German precision engineering". 25 years of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche. In the shop all of the time. My neighborhood foreign car mechanic loved all the work I gave him. I was spending at least $600/month (after warranty) to keep those cars running. Can you believe what VW, Audi, and Porsche did with Clean Diesel? What a joke. Lied straight to our face.

How about everyone else?
  • Toyota / Lexus still are stuck with hybrids and "Hydrogen" cars (although they are mechanically rock solid). Where do you go to fill up with Hydrogen?
  • Nissan Leaf? Oops... they forgot battery climate control (still!) causing their batteries to severely degrade. Oh, and their CEO is in Japanese jail for tax fraud.
  • You can always go with a Chevy or Ford. US built--right? Oh, I forgot... they shipped the Cruze manufacturing to Mexico. And, Ford has stopped making cars (except the Mustang) and focusing on SUVs and trucks.
  • What about Chrysler? Fuggedaboutit!
Tesla is pushing the envelope (just like SpaceX), and so some people are going to get their feelings hurt because their 2016 Model S is no longer the sharpest car in the lot. I agree with people that Tesla needs to get their management in order, but I am willing to stand by while they do. Their cars are still better than all of the others.
I agree with most everything you stated. I’ve had 4 Mopar (3 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a Hellcat ) over last 5 years ,and never had 1 problem or any maintenance expenses. Even oil changes were free. Guess I was very lucky, and they were still under warranty. 3 recalls in total! Only thing I can say about the Porsche, similar to a Tesla, is that there will be only 25 moving parts, and way less comparably to I.c.e. to break. So that might help lol? There is an opportunity to be an e Porsche /TESLA mechanic for sure !

Wow! No offense, whitex, but I got a good chuckle out of your your reply to me. I have a mysterious ability to find software bugs that generally go unnoticed (some for a long time), but you're at a whole 'nother level! The duffel-bag-in-one-door-and-out-the-other story is wild. Maybe my S would behave as yours did (I'm really tempted to try it), but how many people would ever come across it? That you figured out what was causing it says a lot for your tenacity and problem solving ability!
No offense taken. Laughing is good for you. :) I didn't go hunting for this bug by the way, I simply ran into it - it is a little concerning to go to your garage at night or in the morning and find your car is on, HVAC is going, all screens are on, and guess what, you can unplug it and drive it without a key until the next time you put it in "park". So, for one car is running all night, putting wear on all components, and two, if this happens in a public place, someone can steal the car (it draws attention too, itself since all screens are lit up and audio is playing).

Since Tesla didn't know why it happens (nothing in their logs apparently, even though I gave them exact time stamps of when it was happening), so took it upon myself to figure it out so I can avoid having my car stolen, or HVAC/MCU/instrument cluster dying prematurely. Took a while, I ended up disabling all of my remaining X10 home automation sensors since they operate of frequencies close to the car's fob, bunch of trial and error, putting all Tesla fobs in the house in a Faraday cage (yes I have one for work I used to do) every night, but eventually I figured it out - my wife would pick up my daughter from her gymnastics and have her ride in front passenger seat. Our garage is not Elon size garage - we only have room for 2 Teslas if we park them with the passenger side to the wall. Whenever they got home and it was cold and rainy, my daughter opted not to exit the car before getting parking in the garage, and then she'd just slip out the driver's door. Car would never shut off or auto-lock. I don't know whether Tesla fixed it or not, I just asked my daughter not to do that and problem went away (she did it once more a while later, problem came back so I know it wasn't fixed right away).

Oh, as for bugs reported to Tesla, you might find this amusing. I reported a bug to Tesla a while back in 2013 - when you manually turn on the headlights, after parking, when you open the door, an warning tone goes off and car tells you that your lights are on and your range will be reduced - an incorrect warning if you have your lights set to go off when you exit, since they do go off as soon as you lift off the seat. So they "fixed" it, few updates later I noticed that the warning text is gone, however the beeping noise is still there (same noise the car would make it you for example left the car in "drive" and tried to exit the car) - that's worse. The best I could figure is that the developer fixing it and QA verifying it (if they even QA things like this) did it with an MCU in someone's cube without a speaker connected to it, so they didn't catch that their fix was a hack job. Oh, 2-3 of years later they reverted the fix, now it's back to a meaningless sound and text warning when you exit the car. I bet it would have been easier to fix than fart mode, but of course wouldn't get any media attention Elon craves so much.

Some of your examples fall into my category of ill-thought-out software updates, like unfolding the mirrors when the car starts moving. To me that doesn't speak to the quality of the vehicle, but to the lack of foresight of some of the management at Tesla. Maybe it does fit into the "early adopter" paradigm, just in a different way.
Well, my issues were a mix of software and hardware (and software causing hardware damage), but to me, since a product includes both software and hardware, then both software and hardware quality counts as far as product quality is concerned. I don't buy Elon's "we have over the air updates, so because we can fix bugs in the future, you cannot count them towards quality of the product". If iPhones were slow, requiring reboots all the time, and occasionally catching on fire because of bad software, you probably wouldn't call them good quality product, would you? ;) Bottom line is that all those issues cause service visits, which costs Tesla and the owners money. If not early adopter problems, maybe they should fall into bad quality control bucket. I have in the past compared Teslas today to Hyunday in the 90's, some people got a Hyundai and it lasted forever, others spend more time in the shop (under warranty, but still) than on the road. It seems similar thing happens here, some people have a lot of problems while others come out and tell how they drive 100K miles without a single issue.

The HPWC thing I never heard of before now. I wonder if there's a good reason the new cars won't charge from the older HPWC's? Or did they just change the handshake protocols with no thought of impact to owners replacing older cars with newer ones (that does sound very Tesla, doesn't it)?
Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

Last edited:
Reactions: emmz0r
And herein lies the root of your misunderstanding. Generally cars may not need service, but Tesla's do. I will say this though, once they fix things, they hold up well, but still they need service after manufacturing. I bought 4 brand new Model S over 6 years and each and every one of them required service to correct manufacturing issues (or design issues in one instance for the 2017 car). Model S is the one Tesla has been producing the longest, so you figure they'd have it figured out by now, but they don't - it's still an early adopter car

Didn't know I was misunderstanding, root and tree :confused:

I think you're right about the defenders standing down, a bit. I'm one, especially since V9.

But I'm not sure I agree with the Model S service issues, and instead feel it was well sorted by 2015. I've had four (12, 14, 15, 16), last two currently. They had it pretty much figured out. Sun-roof, no, but I don't score like Consumer Reports and over many years have been out of warranty, more than in, with my cars. So, little stuff, yeah. What matters more to me is if it won't drive. I won't park it at Tesla until they have a Bluetooth antenna, or other things some might reasonably expect to be in and out for. That goes w/territory of this price range, and perhaps I'm too forgiving. As my posts probably show, it is over things the company makes worse that my fuse shortens.

Last edited:
Didn't know I was misunderstanding, root and tree :confused:

I think you're right about the defenders standing down, a bit. I'm one, especially since V9.

But I'm not sure I agree with the Model S service issues, and instead feel it was well sorted by 2015. I've had four (12, 14, 15, 16), last two currently. They had it pretty much figured out. Sun-roof, no, but I don't score like Consumer Reports and over many years have been out of warranty, more than in, with my cars. So, little stuff, yeah. What matters more to me is if it won't drive. I won't park it at Tesla until they have a Bluetooth antenna, or other things some might reasonably expect to be in and out for. That goes w/territory of this price range, and perhaps I'm too forgiving. As my posts probably show, it is over things the company makes worse that my fuse shortens.

If, as you state, your criteria for requiring service is when the car "won't drive", then I will agree with you, Tesla's don't need as much service. In my case, 2017 car won't charge at home, but it still drives and there is a supercharger 45 minutes away, I guess per your criteria no service required. Side mirror flops around while driving, still no need for service since it the car is still moving. The car won't lock and shut off, also no need for service - that's actually opposite of "won't drive" since it will drive for anyone even without a key, so of course asking to have it fixed is unnecessary.

So, if you are a Tesla customer who's only expectation of the car is that it moves, then you're probably going to be happy. Of course if your car does stop driving, then you'll still be unhappy having to wait in line behind all the other customers who brought it for unnecessary service for thing like fixing their heater - who needs heat in their car for goodness sake, you can always dress warmer, right? ;)

As for concrete examples of cars way after 2015 when you say "it was well sorted", check out some sample problems my 2017 and 2018 cars have experienced in the post above. Most customers who spend $100K for a car have expectations above your "it still drives", hence the problem. Maybe Tesla should set correct expectations - we guarantee the car move forward when you put it in "drive" and backwards when you put it in "reverse", nothing more?

Does anyone actually know how many teslas have had issues that the service center had to be involved? Probably not so for all we know it could be a small percentage and or the whiney ones who complain that theres a rattle somewhere. I've never seen so many entitled people expect perfection.