Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of power during quarter mile run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I brought my 2017 S P100D to the local quarter mile track. There was ~250 miles range right before the launch and ludicrous + mode was fully warmed up and activated. Light turned green and the car took off incredibly as it always does. 60 ft came in @ 1.545s, 330ft 4.43s, 660ft 7.038s @ 91.68mph. At some point around 85mph it felt like the car lost some power while rocketing down the track. Looking at the dash there was a dashed line going from over 400kW to around 300kW. The only other thing I can contribute is the car was also warning the front camera was blinded from the sun getting low. I ended up finishing the quarter in 11.565 @104.79. By time my car was pulling into the return lane the dashed line disappeared and the camera blind warning was also gone. Anyone know what might have caused this? Can a blind camera actually reduce power?

It says right in the disclaimer when you activate Ludicrous that it will heat up the battery pack to maximize the launch but it will have a negative effect on the drive components and will likely result in heat saturation and power loss on sustained runs. That's likely what your experiencing especially if it was a warm day.

the Raven Model S seems to have a better heat management than pre-raven.. as good as the model 3.

these pre-raven's performances are good for... very short bursts, but will conk out after one or two hot laps. something tesla doesn't tell you when buying your "supercar" ;)

It says right in the disclaimer when you activate Ludicrous that it will heat up the battery pack to maximize the launch but it will have a negative effect on the drive components and will likely result in heat saturation and power loss on sustained runs. That's likely what your experiencing especially if it was a warm day.
I get that, but it was only one run at 74f outside. How does everyone else accomplish a single run with ludicrous + on?

Today I brought my 2017 S P100D to the local quarter mile track. There was ~250 miles range right before the launch and ludicrous + mode was fully warmed up and activated. Light turned green and the car took off incredibly as it always does. 60 ft came in @ 1.545s, 330ft 4.43s, 660ft 7.038s @ 91.68mph. At some point around 85mph it felt like the car lost some power while rocketing down the track. Looking at the dash there was a dashed line going from over 400kW to around 300kW. The only other thing I can contribute is the car was also warning the front camera was blinded from the sun getting low. I ended up finishing the quarter in 11.565 @104.79. By time my car was pulling into the return lane the dashed line disappeared and the camera blind warning was also gone. Anyone know what might have caused this? Can a blind camera actually reduce power?

Did you get any other runs in afterwards?

This issue seemed to surface earlier this year with TMC members (including myself). It seemed to only affect P100d models while in Ludicrous plus. Power gets pulled around 75 -85 mph ...even with (1) run in Ludicrous plus!

The issue coincided with the software update for the “Raven” models when they received a bump in power. It somehow lowered the thermos in the P100d. The matter was brought up with Tesla with video evidence and it was escalated to HQ. I thought the issue was resolved by a software update...but it seems like the problem still exists.

This issue seemed to surface earlier this year with TMC members (including myself). It seemed to only affect P100d models while in Ludicrous plus. Power gets pulled around 75 -85 mph ...even with (1) run in Ludicrous plus!

The issue coincided with the software update for the “Raven” models when they received a bump in power. It somehow lowered the thermos in the P100d. The matter was brought up with Tesla with video evidence and it was escalated to HQ. I thought the issue was resolved by a software update...but it seems like the problem still exists.
Can you link some articles or other threads on this? Curious about it.

The dashed line on the acceleration side is from the battery getting too hot and limiting the amount of power that can be pulled from it. My P85D does the same thing when I drive 110'ish mph for around 25 miles with lots of hard pulls to like pass other people on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: Dsancho
Quick follow up- Made it to the track yesterday for a second attempt. I put ludicrous+ mode on just a few min before staging to make sure I could engage launch control. Ended with a 11.2 @ 117mph. No power cut and no dashed lines seen. This run my 60ft was .15 slower, perhaps from not being heated enough?

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Quick follow up- Made it to the track yesterday for a second attempt. I put ludicrous+ mode on just a few min before staging to make sure I could engage launch control. Ended with a 11.2 @ 117mph. No power cut and no dashed lines seen. This run my 60ft was .15 slower, perhaps from not being heated enough?
Most likely the case that the cells weren't warm enough to give maximum power for the run. There's a sweet spot somewhere between those to temperatures where the car will be it's fastest in a 1/4-mile blast.