Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost 50% range on my battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In cold weather you will lose more than 1 or 2 KW of available capacity.

We’ll be getting some interesting data on this from Alaska soon. It won’t be a full cold soak, probably (just 8 hours), but with temperatures around 10F it should be interesting. However, might need to wait for later in the winter to see what real cold does. There was no apparent impact to rated range at 13F with ~8 hours soaking. Probably will be a few weeks before extensive data is available.

The data so far indicates that for most more moderate climates, the impact of cold on rated range is likely to be insignificant (and certainly negligible compared to the much, much higher energy use in those conditions for cabin heat, battery conditioning, thick air, stiff tires, pushing snow/rain/ice around, etc.)

View attachment 359826 I have a Model 3 LR (vin 26,000) with 8,000 km driven. I live in Ottawa Canada. About a month ago my range suddenly dropped in half. I set my SOC to 90% and schedule charge at 5:30 am in my indoor garage. When it stops charging my stated range is 230 Km or 142 miles. I’ve been charging at 70% -80% but since watching a video by LikeTesla I’ve been going 90% SOC but nothing changes still only 230 Km. I’ve booked an appointment to drive 2 hours to Montreal for service. My wait was over one month long. I emailed today to confirm I could get a loaner car but after a string of emails I was told

“It’s your call on this one Daniel .. You could come in and get told by a tech that there is nothing wrong with your battery . This is the norm for a battery during the winter months ..”

Is this normal? I’ve search all forums and haven’t found anyone else with this complaint. Your help, thoughts and suggestion on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

I have similar car with only 2000 miles on it. Losing charge in cold weather is normal. Do not waste your time taking your car for service.
I lose about 25 to 30% of charge just by having the car sit in the garage. No worry, nothing wrong with your car. It is just the electrons
do not like cold weather!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I have similar car with only 2000 miles on it. Losing charge in cold weather is normal. Do not waste your time taking your car for service.
I lose about 25 to 30% of charge just by having the car sit in the garage. No worry, nothing wrong with your car. It is just the electrons
do not like cold weather!!!!!!!!!!

Did you read the rest of the thread? OP has updated the thread and he has a clear pack issue. He's getting a battery replacement.

Also, it is definitely NOT normal to lose 25-30% of charge just by a car sitting in the garage overnight or something. If you meant over multiple days, that's possible, but not for overnight.

Did you read the rest of the thread? OP has updated the thread and he has a clear pack issue. He's getting a battery replacement.

Also, it is definitely NOT normal to lose 25-30% of charge just by a car sitting in the garage overnight or something. If you meant over multiple days, that's possible, but not for overnight.
Agree. I live in Los Angeles and left my car in parking garage for 10 days and lost about ~30 miles of range.

View attachment 359826 I have a Model 3 LR (vin 26,000) with 8,000 km driven. I live in Ottawa Canada. About a month ago my range suddenly dropped in half. I set my SOC to 90% and schedule charge at 5:30 am in my indoor garage. When it stops charging my stated range is 230 Km or 142 miles. I’ve been charging at 70% -80% but since watching a video by LikeTesla I’ve been going 90% SOC but nothing changes still only 230 Km. I’ve booked an appointment to drive 2 hours to Montreal for service. My wait was over one month long. I emailed today to confirm I could get a loaner car but after a string of emails I was told

“It’s your call on this one Daniel .. You could come in and get told by a tech that there is nothing wrong with your battery . This is the norm for a battery during the winter months ..”

Is this normal? I’ve search all forums and haven’t found anyone else with this complaint. Your help, thoughts and suggestion on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Thanks
You have a LR battery and after charging it at 90% you only have a stated range of 230Km while still in the garage? Strange, very strange.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life