Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost 50% range on my battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd definitely call service on this one. Maybe you'd lose that much if it was -25 F outside, but something sure seems wrong to me. I did notice, the screen shows the car is only charged to 47%. If it were to actually reach 100% you would close to the right range.

The 47% displayed is not part of the Tesla app, it's the charge of the phone battery.

As the Model 3 doesn’t have a “guess o meter” and simply multiplies available pack energy by Wh/km it seems like you may have an actual fault.

Maybe a couple 100% (don’t let it sit there long) to 5% and back runs just to make sure the BMS is calibrated could help but if they don’t I would take it in to the SC.

Maybe this was changed in a recent firmware to avoid showing a range that cannot be achieved in the winter. Anyway, what range oes the energy screen shows?

Maybe this was changed in a recent firmware to avoid showing a range that cannot be achieved in the winter. Anyway, what range oes the energy screen shows?

If this were the case thousands of people would be seeing it.

Total available pack energy decreases in cold weather (while consumption simultaneously increases) but not by 30 kWh. Maybe one or two kWh. I think something may be wrong with this particular car or its firmware.

“It’s your call on this one Daniel .. You could come in and get told by a tech that there is nothing wrong with your battery . This is the norm for a battery during the winter months ..”
The most charitable interpretation of that statement by a Tesla employee is that they got confused and thought you were talking about actual driving range in winter temps when you were of course talking about what the car displays as the “rated range”.
Normal to lose 50% in Winter.
Just like this member got confused..

It is most definitely not “normal” for the car to display a rated range of half of what it displays during the summer when charged to the same percentage level.

I doubt the problem is a firmware glitch causing the car to calculate the rated range in miles but display it in kilometers, since a 90% charge should be around 280 miles, not 231 as shown in your first post.

Let us know what happens after your service visit. Good luck!

It's not normal for the range shown on the car/app to lose significant range. Sounds like a pack failure to me. From what I've read, the range is calculated purely by the estimated BMS kWh size (which can vary a bit) * current pack % charge. Yeah, calibration can get a bit out of wack, but NOT 50%.

There was some P3D owner that complained he suddenly lost ~20% range one day and after taking it to the service center they determined one of the battery banks was just dead for some reason. He got got a new battery. Possibly the same problem here?

50% loss is not normal - I live in Tahoe CA and see nothing like that ever on my M3 or my wife's MX

Reactions: dhrivnak
I'd definitely call service on this one. Maybe you'd lose that much if it was -25 F outside, but something sure seems wrong to me. I did notice, the screen shows the car is only charged to 47%. If it were to actually reach 100% you would close to the right range.
In post #1 in this thread, the OP shows a phone app screen capture displaying a battery charge level of right around 90%. It is not clear to me where you see a “screen” showing the Tesla car battery charged to 47%.

View attachment 359826 I have a Model 3 LR (vin 26,000) with 8,000 km driven. I live in Ottawa Canada. About a month ago my range suddenly dropped in half. I set my SOC to 90% and schedule charge at 5:30 am in my indoor garage. When it stops charging my stated range is 230 Km or 142 miles. I’ve been charging at 70% -80% but since watching a video by LikeTesla I’ve been going 90% SOC but nothing changes still only 230 Km. I’ve booked an appointment to drive 2 hours to Montreal for service. My wait was over one month long. I emailed today to confirm I could get a loaner car but after a string of emails I was told

“It’s your call on this one Daniel .. You could come in and get told by a tech that there is nothing wrong with your battery . This is the norm for a battery during the winter months ..”

Is this normal? I’ve search all forums and haven’t found anyone else with this complaint. Your help, thoughts and suggestion on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Thanks

Does the car still think it is an LR? (no idea how that shows up on a 3)
Have you given it a full reset, along with the app?

Update: so many members have suggested recalibration of the battery. Drain it down to 5% and then recharge to 100% and your BMS loss may improve. So I drove around town for 2 hrs with heat on full and got batttery down to 25 Km or 5% charge. As I was draining the battery I got a notification:
8EC910D2-E884-4C85-9078-A3ED71501625.jpeg

I’m now parked in my garage with the wall charger plugged in, SOC set at 100% and scheduled to start charging at 2:00 am. Before going to sleep I check my Tesla app and I noticed the range increased from 25Km to 99km with out charging. I’m thinking this is good news. The BMS is recalibrating and I can wait to see what the new range will be when I’m charged to 100% in the morning. Six hours later. Battery is at 112km. the battery is only taking in 1-2 amps of power. I’ve called Tesla service and they are investigating and will give me an answer/update before Friday. Again I’m scheduled for a service appointment on Monday but now I don’t have enough range to make the 2 hour drive. On the bright side I’m glad I drained the battery and found this problem because I would have be stranded on the highway somewhere between Ottawa and Montreal with a
Low battery that can’t charge.

Update: so many members have suggested recalibration of the battery. Drain it down to 5% and then recharge to 100% and your BMS loss may improve. So I drove around town for 2 hrs with heat on full and got batttery down to 25 Km or 5% charge. As I was draining the battery I got a notification:

I’m now parked in my garage with the wall charger plugged in, SOC set at 100% and scheduled to start charging at 2:00 am. Before going to sleep I check my Tesla app and I noticed the range increased from 25Km to 99km with out charging. I’m thinking this is good news. The BMS is recalibrating and I can wait to see what the new range will be when I’m charged to 100% in the morning. Six hours later. Battery is at 112km. the battery is only taking in 1-2 amps of power. I’ve called Tesla service and they are investigating and will give me an answer/update before Friday. Again I’m scheduled for a service appointment on Monday but now I don’t have enough range to make the 2 hour drive. On the bright side I’m glad I drained the battery and found this problem because I would have be stranded on the highway somewhere between Ottawa and Montreal with a
Low battery that can’t charge.

This outcome is for the best. Now you have an actual smoking gun that points to a failure and you avoided getting stranded and you're about to get a new battery.

This outcome is for the best. Now you have an actual smoking gun that points to a failure and you avoided getting stranded and you're about to get a new battery.

Update: Tesla service tech. just called me with a answer. He said there is an imbalance of 6% between the brinks but the voltage balance is fine which he said was strange. He had to refer his findings to engineering in California which determined there is a problem and gave the OK for a new high voltage battery replacement on my car. New battery will take ten days to ship from California to Montreal. My current battery will be sent back to California for testing and refurb. Since I’m stuck at 112km with the battery not accepting anymore charge I was told to call Tesla Roadside and arrange for a flatbed truck to transport to Montreal and arrange a rental car in Ottawa. Like all members, I really wanted a Tesla loaner but I can’t complain much as Tesla is taking care of the problem well so far up to this point. I’ll update on how Tesla roadside does with towing and car rental.

Thanks for updating us with all your steps - very informative. Good that it finally "broke" enough to give an error message and something to point Tesla to, in order to really research the problem.

Hope the battery swap goes well and you're back burning electrons soon.

Reactions: StealthP3D
In cold weather you will lose more than 1 or 2 KW of available capacity.

Do you have a reference link to available capacity shrinking by more than 2 kWh (not kW) in cold weather, particularly on a temperature-managed pack?

The car will *consume* dramatically more power of course, but total pack energy shouldn’t deviate that much. Tesla’s range estimate is only total storage divided by EPA consumption rate; it has nothing to do with driving style, previous consumption patterns, or ambient temperature.

I’ve cold-soaked my car in 20° F weather for many days and only lost about 1 kWh of storage capacity until the pack warmed up.