Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost all sounds. Reboot is not helping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems mine fixed as well after overnight parking. The reason I was asking about high voltage disconnect is becouse I have tried disconnecting 12v battery, but the car doesn't care, it is still getting power from the main battery. I was hoping to shut it down by doing a full power reset.
Anyway, service center needs to look at this.

I've had sound loss on both Model X, and 3, but each time a reboot cleared up the issue. It was also a rare occurrance, and I have not experrienced it in several months. I have however, experienced a condition where the MIC doesn't hear me, which also cleared up on reboot. It is not a normal condition to need to do this on a regular basis, and certainly not to manually disconnect power from the vehicle. Others may have stated this already, but you may be able to get an earlier appointment if you tell them you feel it is a safety concern.

Update: SC still has no clue what is going on. They have pushed 2019.16.3.2 update, but the issue is not resolved. They are saying as remote diagnostics does not showing errors, they can't replace anything, essentially suggesting to wait for unknown amount of time. :(

Update: SC still has no clue what is going on. They have pushed 2019.16.3.2 update, but the issue is not resolved. They are saying as remote diagnostics does not showing errors, they can't replace anything, essentially suggesting to wait for unknown amount of time. :(
16.2 is a nightmare. I hope Tesla has listened to our complaints and release a firmware update that fixes our issues and doesn’t break everything else.

My model 3 is having the same audio problem after updating to 16.2. Experienced it twice in the last week, both times it fixed it self on the next drive. It sucks, so keep us updated if you hear more from Tesla.

My model 3 is having the same audio problem after updating to 16.2. Experienced it twice in the last week, both times it fixed it self on the next drive. It sucks, so keep us updated if you hear more from Tesla.
16.2 is a nightmare and 16.3 doesn’t appear to be much better. Tesla please help us!!!!!!

After 16.2 my permanently-on hardwired dashcam to the interior lighting harness was the culprit to my audio loss. Never had an issue over the last year until 16.2. Unplugging my dashcam solved it.

Anyone else having this issue have something hardwired?

• Helpful
Reactions: No42
just want to add on that this is also happening to my car, and i also have a dashcam hard wired.

I had no sound on Mon, sound worked on Tues, and then no sound again on Thurs, so there's not really a pattern. I unplugged my dashcam to see if it makes a difference in the morning.

Same here...sound is hit and miss on certain days. Sound has appeared and disappeared about 6 or 7 times the last 10 days for me. I also had a software update on tuesday to 2019.16.3 and it didn’t change my sound issue. After speaking with my service center the advisor said it may be an issue with my amp. I have a mobile service app’t set up in two weeks so hopefully they can fix whatever is causing the disappearing sound problem. It didn't matter if I had my dashcams plugged in or not. My Blackvue dashcams have been installed for 8 months without any issues.

I’ll try the adjustments of the balance and fade and even the disconnecting of the 12V to see if sound comes back.

Had sound driving home from work, but checked my car after being charged to 90% at home and lost all sound. Tried reboot and playing around with the music/sound settings and still no sound. Popped the frunk and disconnected the 12V positive lead for 30 seconds and let my car shut down. Reconnected the positive lead and opened the door with sound and music playing. Looks like I’m keeping a 10mm socket in my frunk until my mobile service app’t.

I also notice the sound has disappeared only when I have finished charging. I’m gonna drive and not charge tomorrow to see if it affects the sound.

Last edited:
Popped the frunk and disconnected the 12V positive lead for 30 seconds and let my car shut down. Reconnected the positive lead and opened the door with sound and music playing.

Warning!!! Please never ever disconnect positive battery terminal on a car before disconnecting negative!

The reason is that negative is connected to car's body, essentially whole car is a negative terminal, and if it is not disconnected you can touch the car's body with your wrench while working on a positive which would short the battery and can start a fire.

For 12v reset disconnecting negative terminal is enough.