Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost connectivity on wired ethernet to powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems odd that there should be different variants, other than to allow for the lower voltage/higher current in the USA.

IMG_7458.JPG

Gateway installed in Australia with no reset button March 2018.

Even when I had no access to the web server, I could still ping it. Indeed, examining network traffic showed that the gateway was responding to connection requests to both ports 80 and 443, was accepting them, and was acknowleging data sent to them - it just wasn't sending any response data.

Your inability to ping or connect from anywhere else in your network sounds more like a routing or firewalling issue than anything to do with the gateway itself. You might want to look at what your dhcp server is handing out in terms of default gateway and network mask.

Regarding the reset button, I took some pictures of my gateway. These are thumbnails.
View attachment 320274View attachment 320271View attachment 320273View attachment 320272

It seems odd that there should be different variants, other than to allow for the lower voltage/higher current in the USA.

I don't have a reset button/hole like you do. I would need to remove the dead front cover to get at the gateway (which I will eventually get to unless I get Tesla to reset it remotely). I can ping the gateway and the TCP connection happens as @Sylvia describes. This makes me optimistic that I can fix my issue.

Even when I had no access to the web server, I could still ping it. Indeed, examining network traffic showed that the gateway was responding to connection requests to both ports 80 and 443, was accepting them, and was acknowleging data sent to them - it just wasn't sending any response data.

Your inability to ping or connect from anywhere else in your network sounds more like a routing or firewalling issue than anything to do with the gateway itself. You might want to look at what your dhcp server is handing out in terms of default gateway and network mask.

I agree that it does seem like a network problem, and when it first started happening, that's what I was investigating. However, I had absolutely no problems communicating with the gateway from any device on my network from its installation in December last year, until the 1.20 update, then I progressively started losing access over a period of a few days, firstly web access then API access then ping responses. That's when I started checking threads here and on other forums and saw that I wasn't the only one. My WiFi network has around 33 devices connected to it (3 APs in a mesh), and the Powerwall gateway is the only device I'm having trouble with. The Ubiquiti manager shows that its WiFI connection is solid. On 1.20 I still can't get a web connection using the gateway's own AP, even after the restart.

My gateway is like the ones pictured without the reset button. It does have a red flashing LED on the left of the black contol box, partially visible when the front cover plate is unscrewed and removed.

BRAKING NEWS - while I've been typing this, I had a look at the web UI and noticed that the gateway has been updated to 1.21 firmware and I can now access the web UI via the gateway's AP again. Let's hope they're rolling out a fix for this mess!

There are three potential power sources that come into the gateway box. So unless the gateway computer has its own extra battery, disconnecting all of them should force the computer to shutdown, if you want to manually reboot the gateway.

The three power sources are: the grid (shut off the service disconnect), the Powerwall power wiring (shut off every 30A Powerwall breaker), and the communications line that connects to the Powerwalls (which I believe terminates on the green connector under the gateway computer, just unplug it). In fact maybe just try the communications line first, that alone might be enough

Cheers, Wayne

Since the reboot initiated by Tesal reenabled my access to the gateway webserver, it's become apparent that the webserver often fails, and is restarted. The effect is for it to cease accepting the bearer token, necessitating a new login. Restarting seems to take about a minute, and during that time it refuses connections to the http and https ports. The failures seem quite random. They even occurred when I isolated the gateway from the Internet. Tesla Australia have confirmed that this shouldn't happen - the bearer token should remain valid until the next firmware upgrade (assuming no owner action to reset the gateway).

The system is also ignoring the backup reserve level, and depleting the battery overnight, only to recharge it again from medium priced energy the next morning.

Some gateways do not have a shield around the HV components, so there are live bare metal parts inside the gateway. Be very careful opening the gateway, as you could easily accidently brush the panel against those parts while removing it.

I would expect that to be a non-compliant installation. It should not be possible to reach any live parts without using tools.

I believe BJReplay is referring to what is behind the cover plate that has to be removed using a screwdriver. If you look at arnolddeleon's picture above, you can see exposed electric connections, for instance.

Yes you have to remove a dead front cover to get to it which secured by a screw. Here is a photo with the cover on: 2017-12-28 10.49.43