Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Firmware 23.44.0 eb113390

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use the Windows app 'Powerwall Companion', it is using the newer APIs (Tesla auth) to pull this data, and includes a handy PW degradation section.

Is there a Mac version of this?

You can use the Windows app 'Powerwall Companion', it is using the newer APIs (Tesla auth) to pull this data, and includes a handy PW degradation section.
This is using the Tesla cloud APIs, which have limited data: combined full pack energy for all Powerwalls. The gateway APIs include per-Powerwall data, which is more useful when looking at degradation (since it can vary quite a bit between Powerwalls).

It's unfortunate Tesla is removing these gateway APIs. Based on some early investigation, the data might still be accessible using a new API in use by the Tesla Pros app. It's a bit more cumbersome to retrieve however, since it requires connecting to the TEG wifi network.

Since the threshhold for that is 30% loss, you could simply set the reserve to zero, let it drain down, and then let them fill back up and see what the app reports as amount of energy used to fill them.
It seems like this would conflate the AC/DC round trip efficiency together with battery capacity. If the battery had say 20% degradation, but I also have 20% conversion loss, I don't see how I could distinguish this from 40% capacity loss and no conversion loss.

Interestingly enough, netzero app still shows capacity and therefore degradation with 23.44.0.

Attachments

• IMG_5134.png
    IMG_5134.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5135.png
    IMG_5135.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 42
Interestingly enough, netzero app still shows capacity and therefore degradation with 23.44.0.

That actually makes sense. I just checked the code and the Powerwall capacity comes from the /system_status API, not the /devices/vitals API mentioned in this thread. The vitals API will affect access to battery temperature (which you can see is missing in your screenshot) and string data. I'll work on regaining access to those using the new API used for the Tesla Pros app.

At least the FW didn’t brick one of your PW’s like it did to me the last two times…

Actually, just checked…seems between 2a-4a this Friday Tesla pushed me from 23.28.2 to Version 23.36.3 aa269d35…

…And it appears to have bricked one of my four PW’s again, for the third straight time!

Not sure how i can differentiate between those terms. Not charging, not discharging, doesn’t show registered in GW2….

They says they are going to roll me back to 23.28.2, but so far that hasn’t happened.
When that happens and battery works, then we know it didn't die, just a heart attack that is resuscitated. ;) :D
ps. hopefully they will not force the update on me as I have 23.28.2.

Last edited:
Has anyone on 23.44.0 noticed a difference in the charge from grid rate/speed? Before the update I'd charge at 5kwh/PW now its stuck at 1.95kwh/PW. Before I noticed that if the PW was set to self-powered it'd charge at the slower rate, but in time based control it would charge at 5kwh. I remember reading somewhere that a future update was supposed to change the charge from grid so both would charge at the higher rate, but it seems to have gone the wrong way for me. This is an issue because my utility only has super off-peak pricing from midnight to 6am, and charging at 1.95 means i can add a max of 72% SOC during that time period.

Has anyone on 23.44.0 noticed a difference in the charge from grid rate/speed? Before the update I'd charge at 5kwh/PW now its stuck at 1.95kwh/PW. Before I noticed that if the PW was set to self-powered it'd charge at the slower rate, but in time based control it would charge at 5kwh. I remember reading somewhere that a future update was supposed to change the charge from grid so both would charge at the higher rate, but it seems to have gone the wrong way for me. This is an issue because my utility only has super off-peak pricing from midnight to 6am, and charging at 1.95 means i can add a max of 72% SOC during that time period.
@auxms75d I'm still on 22.18.5 (in UK, firmware roll outs are slow?) and was told by Tesla support via email that an update coming in December 2021 (yes 2 years ago!) would have self-powered mode charging at the higher rate like time based. It didn't happen, but I really could use that over the winter months. The vagaries of British weather (impacting solar generation and my power consumption) means that Tesla's prediction algorithms (based on historic data) are useless, and I can't relay on time based mode to manage Powerwall charging. We have a 4 hour period of cheaper electricity overnight in which I want the Powerwall to charge from grid to a backup reserve percentage selected by me (with my local knowledge and superior intelligence than any "AI"). When I need more power than 4 hours at 1.7kW I switch from self-powered to time based for that period to get the higher 3.6kW rate (throttled in UK, need permission on installation to get the full 5kW).

Of interest is that this last week, like you, I have noticed odd lower charging rates in time based mode rather than the expected 3.6kW rate. This led several times to the Powerwall failing to charge sufficiently and I ended up drawing power from the grid at peak times and costs, something that the Powerwall is there to avoid. My firmware has not changed. I have had internet outages and low data rates but worst case the Powerwall has a working mobile phone connection as a fallback and the app reported that my setting changes to mode and reserve percentage had been applied. It has also been colder weather, near to freezing temperatures overnight. Has any of that contributed to this behaviour? Or maybe the commands sent from the Tesla mothership have been different this week?

I'm going to monitor the situation, interested to hear what your future experiences are. Is it worth contacting Tesla support and showing them our erratic charging data?

I'd say it's worth contacting Tesla support for the old FW version issue alone. I'm in the UK and on 23.36.3, updated on Dec 20, 2023.

I've yet to see my PW2 throttle its overnight charge rate based on temperature this winter, but it's located in the garage so somewhat sheltered from the lowest temps. It has occasionally throttled during previous winters with older FW, so that might be your issue.

I'd say it's worth contacting Tesla support for the old FW version issue alone. I'm in the UK and on 23.36.3, updated on Dec 20, 2023.

I've yet to see my PW2 throttle its overnight charge rate based on temperature this winter, but it's located in the garage so somewhat sheltered from the lowest temps. It has occasionally throttled during previous winters with older FW, so that might be your issue.
@scdoubleu I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix" it guy, happy to be as far away as possible from the untested bleeding edge of Tesla firmware. If they behaved professionally and at least published release notes I might consider it. What has changed?

I've just been through 3 years of winter data, both Powerwall charging and weather, the odd charging behaviour is in just the last 2 weeks and does not correlate with cold nights. Previous winters are all consistent, yes on colder nights the charge rate does gently ramp up to 3.6kW which I assume is temperature related.

@auxms75d have a look at your daily charging data through January (I use Powerwall Companion on desktop way easier than messing with the mobile app). I intend to start a thread to post mine rather than further hijack this one about firmware.

@scdoubleu I'm an "if it ain't broke don't fix" it guy, happy to be as far away as possible from the untested bleeding edge of Tesla firmware. If they behaved professionally and at least published release notes I might consider it. What has changed?

I agree that more visibility on what changes between versions would be good. The last mention of PW2 firmware in the release notes were for March 2023, version 23.4: "Improved performance in cold weather for Powerwall systems".

@auxms75d have a look at your daily charging data through January (I use Powerwall Companion on desktop way easier than messing with the mobile app). I intend to start a thread to post mine rather than further hijack this one about firmware.

I've been using pypowerwal to track/log my pw data since they were installed, and custom CT setup to track metrics before then. For the last 34 days the system has maxed at 1.95kwh/pw when grid charging; there doesn't appear to be any issues with PW/GW as its peaked at 4.4khw/pw when charging from solar. I originally thought this was related to the 23.44 fw:

I noticed the change in the charging characteristics the 14 (My system upgraded to 23.44 on 13th night), so this change (for me) appeared to be in direct relationship to the FW version. I'm still awaiting a response from L2 support as I believe the FW upgrade has incorrectly applied as the PWs are not quite running as if on the TBC algorithm nor the selfconsumption model. I believe the system not reliably following my rate schedule along with the abnormal grid charging speeds are both a function of the 23.44.0 update failing to install correctly vs an intended change from this version. Having support 'push' the fw again and even manually trying to check for updates have not rectified these issues.

Some reason my Powerwall-Dashboard (from JasonCox) died about a week ago, and my powerwall gateway firmware is still 23.36.3 not yet 23.44 .0 like others, but I haven't been able to get it communicate again. I definitely experienced the rate lockout issue from failed auth's and had to swap wifi networks to get it to reset, but haven't been able to get my PW2's to recommunicate with the pypowerwall again.

Not sure what the options are to retrack vitals especially since I'm not yet on 23.44 yet.

Some reason my Powerwall-Dashboard (from JasonCox) died about a week ago, and my powerwall gateway firmware is still 23.36.3 not yet 23.44 .0 like others, but I haven't been able to get it communicate again. I definitely experienced the rate lockout issue from failed auth's and had to swap wifi networks to get it to reset, but haven't been able to get my PW2's to recommunicate with the pypowerwall again.

Not sure what the options are to retrack vitals especially since I'm not yet on 23.44 yet.
The Netzero app is rather nice.

Reactions: offandonagain
My Gateway updated to 23.44 last night. Nothing seems to have changed. I can still access the gateway directly from its IP address. My HomeSeer plug-in is still functioning.

Netzero still reports all the same information it used to including the gateway diagnostics. I don't have solar, just 2 x Powerwalls for backup and maybe TOU in the future.

My Gateway updated to 23.44 last night. Nothing seems to have changed. I can still access the gateway directly from its IP address. My HomeSeer plug-in is still functioning.

Netzero still reports all the same information it used to including the gateway diagnostics. I don't have solar, just 2 x Powerwalls for backup and maybe TOU in the future.
Can you see device vitals? Netzero app can query that for you without much effort. Mine’s empty

Attachments

• IMG_5177.png
    IMG_5177.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 34