Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost connectivity on wired ethernet to powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, anyone know how to reset a UK GW, my home portal has been locked out for 2 months or so on 1.26, Told to wait for an upgrade, 1.30 is ready but i was told to reset the GW, tried to power down no luck...the GW is still getting power from somewhere?

Hi, anyone know how to reset a UK GW, my home portal has been locked out for 2 months or so on 1.26, Told to wait for an upgrade, 1.30 is ready but i was told to reset the GW, tried to power down no luck...the GW is still getting power from somewhere?
ok so i unscrewed and plugged back in the PWR and COMMS cables to reset the GW, hope this helps other UK PW users

I used to be able to hit the webserver on the powerwalls on my wired Ethernet. Starting a day or two ago I stopped being able to do so (on either http or https). The device responds to ping (ICMP echo)
Sounds like the webserver lockup bug. You'll need to reset the powerwall gateway, either by pressing the reset button through the hole (if you're lucky enough to have it), or by powering everything down (shutdown solar, trip main house circuit breakers) for ten minutes.

What version of the software in the powerwall (not the app) are you on?

BTW they have clever mechanism for doing a customer password reset. You have to know the last 5 digits of your serial number *and* you have to be someone physically present at the site to toggle the power switch on a Powerwall (in a multi-unit configuration it doesn't matter which). This presumably demonstrates you have some physical control of the system.

I have access to my PW, can you explain a bit more how to reset the password. I am not able to log into the TEG wifi, because it wants a password and the Ubuntu or W10k laptop wants 8 characters minimum. The Tesla document says for the wifi password to use the S and last 5 digits of the serial number. that is only 6 characters.

I connected to the network cable in the PW, but got no IP address, no idea what version of s/w is on the damn thing

Last edited:
I have access to my PW, can you explain a bit more how to reset the password. I am not able to log into the TEG wifi, because it wants a password and the Ubuntu or W10k laptop wants 8 characters minimum. The Tesla document says for the wifi password to use the S and last 5 digits of the serial number. that is only 6 characters.

I connected to the network cable in the PW, but got no IP address, no idea what version of s/w is on the damn thing

So in my wired case it is connected to my house network (well my IOT network). This also means I have a DHCP server providing IP addresses and it has Internet connectivity. The computer I'm using to access it is connected to same network.

Others may be more familiar with connecting to the WiFi on the device, I have not done it.

So in my wired case it is connected to my house network (well my IOT network). This also means I have a DHCP server providing IP addresses and it has Internet connectivity. The computer I'm using to access it is connected to same network.

Others may be more familiar with connecting to the WiFi on the device, I have not done it.

OK, well I tried my laptop on the network port and no IP, so I will static it when I get home tonight so see what happens.
My pw/solar installer is not very responsive to any requests I ask them, so no telling when they will upgrade my software.

Stay tuned.

When I did this the last time, The WiFi password was the full serial number. The last 5 is for the login to the device once you’re connected.

Sounds like the webserver lockup bug. You'll need to reset the powerwall gateway, either by pressing the reset button through the hole (if you're lucky enough to have it), or by powering everything down (shutdown solar, trip main house circuit breakers) for ten minutes.

Did anyone ever figure out a relatively "easy" way to reset a gateway without a reset switch and without taking the whole house down for a few minutes?

Did anyone ever figure out a relatively "easy" way to reset a gateway without a reset switch and without taking the whole house down for a few minutes?

there are two version of gateway 1. One with and without a reset button. I have the one without so I have to power down my entire house.

I could upgrade to the second revision of gateway 1 but I’m waiting for version 2.