Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost key today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we took delivery of a CPO Model S 85 on Monday and have already lost one of the keys. I called Service and they sent a mobile technician the same day (today) with a new key. He arrived at my house and programmed it within a 20-minute time frame. All for about $140.

I gotta say, this was an exceptional experience.

The new AO ones are much better, in my opinion, and they have day-glo colors for those that get keys buried in the bottom of handbags and the like!

I had a loaner, where I used the naked fob, and having it in the AO fob holder is a lot better. (Not a fan of Tiles, or other bluetooth locators, they last a year, and you have to purchase them all over again. Gave up on them after trying them out when they first came on the market.)

Reactions: mrod1975
Highly recommend you go to abstractocean.com and get a fob holder. Then go to Amazon and get a "tile" for your holder/fob. A lot less than the cost of another fob.

I had received a set of Tiles for my birthday one year from my wife. Loved them! Came up on a year, and received a friendly email telling me to throw them out and buy all new ones. I don't like rebuying products I already own because they expire. No more Tiles for me.

It's pretty easy to lose the key since they don't fit on a keychain. Did they give you a rubber keychain fob adapter thing? If not, you can ask the next time you're at a service center, they're free.
The fobs that came with my X came in a box with the tool for removing the battery cover (not sure that’s really needed) and two lanyards if you don’t use fob covers like AO’s. So new cars should have a way to attach the fobs to a keychain or make the fob the keychain.

I have the older leather FOB holder and it does come with a key ring but I don't use it for my daily use keys as the FOB only needs to be in my pocket. To the ring I attached a tag with my cell number. If I lose the FOB it's most likely an issue while we are travelling so the finder can reach me easily by cell phone to return it. If I have lost it at home, it will show up eventually.

We did purchase a third FOB so that we can provide it when family need to take our Tesla for the weekend. It's a rare occurrence but the extra FOB does provide additional back up for a lost FOB.