Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost power (resolved: accidentally put car in neutral)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would make sense to add a warning if you are in neutral and trying to accelerate for more than a couple of seconds while in neutral. This should give the hyper milers the ability to do what they do without annoying alerts while still giving some feedback for those who accidentally pop it into neutral.

Also have issue with Model S going into Neutral on its own.

So I was driving on the freeway cruising around 70. I was using cruise control and adjusting the speed every now & then, when I noticed my speed started drifting lower. I tapped the cruise control stalk up and nothing happened. Pressed the accelerator and nothing happened. I was just coasting, but luckily regen was not engaging so I wasn't losing speed too quickly. I was able to coast to an offramp and pull over. I put it in park, waited a minute or so, then put it back in Drive, and it was fine again. I turned around and came home.

I had about 180 miles of range showing and it was about 65 degrees out. Anyone else experience this particular set of circumstances?

Yes, I have had a problem where my Model S just went into neutral all on its own, not in cruise control. It happened multiple times. A few times while barely moving, and then when going around 35 mph -multiple times. They tried to tell me it was "user error" because I must be stepping on brake and accelerator at same time. Almost not possible. Then, they said I could be picking myself up out of the seat. Not the case. Lastly, they tried that I was bumping the shift. That was not happening either. Then, while at a stop light, I heard a click and it had put itself into reverse. At that time, I told them to come get it. I gave them a time stamp within 2 minutes so they could check the logs. They said the logs are saying that the user put it in reverse. I can guarantee everyone I was no way near the shift. Some silly guy answering the phone told me "they" decided the car didn't have a safety problem. HMMM. Growing pains there. All this started happening after an upgrade, so I had driven it about 2000 miles without an incident. They upgraded me to the latest firmware and software. We'll see that fixes it. [email protected]