Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost profile and settings on 2022.44.30 2020 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1
I got into my model 3 today and it had no profile and erased everything basically to a factory reset. So fukn annoying to log back in to everything and reset all my toggles, homelink etc.. this has never happened during 5 years of ownership.

Seems I‘ve been seeing more & more reports of this happening lately. Not sure what Tesla did recently which caused this round of factory resets (but it appears to be a bit more widespread this time). Like others, this (a complete mind wipe) was the first time it happened to me since ownership… which is about 3-1/2 years in my case. I guess our saved cloud profiles are not so useful after all.

As a quick update to my initial post on page 1, my local service center (Richmond, VA) had absolutely no clue on how to restore my previous profile settings... no surprise there. So, I had to re-enter everything manually.
Honestly, losing my settings does not bother me too much, since it was fairly easy/quick to re-enter everything. I don’t care too much about keeping a record of (and losing) lifetime efficiency numbers.
The part that really bugged me the most was losing access to FSDbeta with this mind wipe, and not knowing if/when I would get access again. Fortunately, a few days after the mind/memory wipe and several forced soft reboots (using the two scroll wheel method), the toggle button for FSDbeta returned to my Autopilot menu and I was able to activate it again.

Oh well, just have to accept these types of things occasionally happen to computers… which is basically what our vehicles are.. one big (and sometimes dumb) computer… Life is good! 😜

Yeah, what is even more strange is after my vehicle reset itself to the default factory settings and I lost everything, it still showed that 2022.44.30.10 (10.69.25.2) was installed/running on my vehicle. 2022.44.30.10 is obviously the FSDbeta software, but under my Autopilot menu, the FSDbeta option/toggle was not even there. So, I had no way to enable FSDbeta. It wasn’t until a couple days later (and a few forced reboots) that the FSDbeta option finally reappeared under my Autopilot menu. Damn these Tesla vehicles! :p

So this happened to me back a few months ago and I’m not sure if I accidentally stumbled on a fix, or it was just pure dumb luck - those of you who lost your profiles - if, and it’s a fairly titanic if lol, you happen to have the following two things in your favor:
1.) you previously set up cloud profiles (most of you probably have)
2.) you have a key fob already paired to the same profile on the same car (yeah, that’s where I probably lost most of you 😫)

If you have those two things in your favor, try unlocking the car with the fob, get in and step on the brake.

For some reason when I did this, it restored my profile from the cloud. This was after I went thru manually restoring everything, I was curious to see if the fob worked and lo
And behold it actually fixed the missing profile.

YMMV but if you have a fob it’s worth a shot!

• Informative
Reactions: GreenHokie
+1
Interface froze. Two finger reset and came back with no connectivity. Another two finger reset and it’s back. Lost everything and no remote connectivity, even though setting is correct in car per the app instructions.

Grrr.

It’s wife’s car and she was in the middle of “escape from Taylor Swift” traffic at midnight with a 2 hour drive ahead. She wasn’t impressed, nor were the passengers.

Newest member of the club here. Did a reboot when entertainment was not working properly. When it rebooted my profile was gone, all settings were gone, navigation not working (Cara thinks it is in Palo Alto), and I lost FSD and the ability to navigate on auto pilot.

This exact thing happened to me as well.
The car lost pretty much all settings and configs - as if I got a brand new car. The most annoying was losing the garage door opener, but drive settings/locks were wiped out, radio stations and so on and so forth. And of course profiles - with things like seat and memory adjustments.

Never had a car lose the garage door opener settings before. Another black mark against Tesla.