Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud noise from Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that my X makes a noise after I back out of my garage and then pressing the brake as I turn my steering wheel and put it into Drive. A tech said that is normal.

I've also found my X makes a grinding noise when I back out of my garage after it's sat for a little while. The noise seems to stop once I start moving after a minute. Another user on here said that was normal as well.

Yes, I think I have the same issue. The noise only occurred when car has been parked for a period of time. It is quite embarrassing to have such a loud noise come out of a brand new car! So there is nothing Tesla can do to fix it? please advise.

I've found that my X makes a noise after I back out of my garage and then pressing the brake as I turn my steering wheel and put it into Drive. A tech said that is normal.

I've also found my X makes a grinding noise when I back out of my garage after it's sat for a little while. The noise seems to stop once I start moving after a minute. Another user on here said that was normal as well.

Hi, I just want to find out if anyone experience a loud grinding noise from a new model x when it transition to Drive from
Park - Reverse? Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

When I took delivery of my car, there was a loud grinding noise when turning the steering wheel and reversing. Turned out they had mistakenly put the 9.5" rear wheels on the front of the car and the wheels were rubbing.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Yes, I think I have the same issue. The noise only occurred when the car has been parked for a period of time. It is quite embarrassing to have such a loud noise come out of a brand new car! So there is nothing Tesla can do to fix it? please advise.

It is normal. It is the brakes. Look at your discs before driving, especially if it has rained. You will see a rust spot. These are normal and the noise you hear when you first hit the brakes is the brake pads against these rough spots. After a few rotations of the wheel, the brake disc surface is clean and you get no noise.

ICE cars have a similar issue, but in most the engine noise drowns out the sound. But if you put an ICE car in neutral, turn off the engine, and roll down your driveway you hear the same thing as you apply the brakes.

It is normal. It is the brakes. Look at your discs before driving, especially if it has rained. You will see a rust spot. These are normal and the noise you hear when you first hit the brakes is the brake pads against these rough spots. After a few rotations of the wheel, the brake disc surface is clean and you get no noise.

ICE cars have a similar issue, but in most the engine noise drowns out the sound. But if you put an ICE car in neutral, turn off the engine, and roll down your driveway you hear the same thing as you apply the brakes.

HI,
Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful. I do hope that this is normal because It is hassle to have to send in the car for service. The sound is quite loud and sound like it has a hard time changing gear that make me think that it is not normal. Yes, you are right, after that initial sound, the car is very quiet and that is when it is not on 'Creep Mode'. When it is on Creep mode, I do not have this initial loud noise, but when I engage and release the brake it make noises (not too loud) on every stop sign or traffic light. So I have decided to turn off the 'Creep mode' and get this one time loud noise than to hear all the noises when the car is stop and go under the 'Creep mode'.

I hear this response repeated a lot when any noise issue comes up and it always bugs me how sure people are about it. Yes brakes can get rust on them and become noisy, but it's not the only reason the car might make grinding noises so don't be so sure of yourself.

My MX had LOUD grinding noises when turning at low speeds (<5mph) and it had nothing to do with the brakes being rusty or lack of engine noise (you could have easily heard this in an ICE). It ended up being the tires Tesla installed in front were the larger rear tires (275mm vs. 265mm) and they were rubbing against the wheel well when turning hard at low speeds.

Reactions: VikH
I hear this response repeated a lot when any noise issue comes up and it always bugs me how sure people are about it. Yes brakes can get rust on them and become noisy, but it's not the only reason the car might make grinding noises so don't be so sure of yourself.

My MX had LOUD grinding noises when turning at low speeds (<5mph) and it had nothing to do with the brakes being rusty or lack of engine noise (you could have easily heard this in an ICE). It ended up being the tires Tesla installed in front were the larger rear tires (275mm vs. 265mm) and they were rubbing against the wheel well when turning hard at low speeds.

Hi, Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful!! I have 2 reply with the similar issue of the noise due to the wrong tires. Please let me know if anyway that I can find out the tire installed on my car is the wrong size? are there any measurement on the tire or any indication on the tires that I can look at to figure out? Appreciate your advise.

Hi, Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful!! I have 2 reply with the similar issue of the noise due to the wrong tires. Please let me know if anyway that I can find out the tire installed on my car is the wrong size? are there any measurement on the tire or any indication on the tires that I can look at to figure out? Appreciate your advise.

The size of the tire should be written on the outside near the rim. Look for 275 in the back and 265 in the front. If you see 275 in the front then you have the wrong size tires.

Note that I had the correct size tires on my car, but the wider rear wheels on the front of my car. The only way to tell the difference between the 9.0" front wheels and 9.5" rear wheels is an inscription on the inner part of the wheels.

Note that I had the correct size tires on my car, but the wider rear wheels on the front of my car. The only way to tell the difference between the 9.0" front wheels and 9.5" rear wheels is an inscription on the inner part of the wheels.

Hi, Thank you so much for another very useful information. I will check everything on my tires. Good to know.

HI,
Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful. I do hope that this is normal because It is hassle to have to send in the car for service. The sound is quite loud and sound like it has a hard time changing gear that make me think that it is not normal. Yes, you are right, after that initial sound, the car is very quiet and that is when it is not on 'Creep Mode'. When it is on Creep mode, I do not have this initial loud noise, but when I engage and release the brake it make noises (not too loud) on every stop sign or traffic light. So I have decided to turn off the 'Creep mode' and get this one time loud noise than to hear all the noises when the car is stop and go under the 'Creep mode'.

If it is impeding movement from Reverse to Drive or visa verse, that definitely sounds like something other than the brakes, and I would have the service guys check it out. If taking the car in to the service center is a hassle you could check into having the service guy come to you at your home or office with a mobile service request. But call first, and they should advise you as to if remote service is a good option for your issues.

When not in creep mode the car will engage the hill hold (unless you turned it off) when you come to a full stop and hold the brake beyond 1/2 second or so. If in creep mode, I believe (I don't every use creep mode) hill hold comes on in 3 seconds or so. In either case, on the dash, you should see a little ((H)) displayed when hill hold is engaged. This means the brakes are engaged. And if you lift your foot off the brake the car will not move. If the car is in hill hold, the brakes are applied and you may hear a little "thunk" noise when you press on the accelerator. This noise is the brakes disengaging.

Last edited:
If it is impeding movement from Reverse to Drive or visa verse, that definitely sounds like something other than the brakes, and I would have the service guys check it out. If taking the car in to the service center is a hassle you could check into having the service guy come to you at your home or office with a mobile service request. But call first, and they should advise you as to if remote service is a good option for your issues.

When not in creep mode the car will engage the hill hold (unless you turned it off) when you come to a full stop and hold the brake beyond 1/2 second or so. If in creep mode, I believe (I don't every use creep mode) hill hold comes on in 3 seconds or so. In either case, on the dash, you should see a little ((H)) displayed when hill hold is engaged. This means the brakes are engaged. And if you lift your foot off the brake the car will not move. If the car is in hill hold, the brakes are applied and you may hear a little "thunk" noise when you press on the accelerator. This noise is the brakes disengaging.

Hi, Again, very useful information as I am getting to know my car. I don't think I ever see the hill hold ((H)) on my car?
I am currently driving with the creep mode off. It is much easier on the brake, however, when I back the car is not smooth, the car seems to be very sluggish and not responsive. However, I do not use the brake as much driving on local street with the creep mode off.

Hi, Again, very useful information as I am getting to know my car. I don't think I ever see the hill hold ((H)) on my car?
I am currently driving with the creep mode off. It is much easier on the brake, however, when I back the car is not smooth, the car seems to be very sluggish and not responsive. However, I do not use the brake as much driving on local street with the creep mode off.

If you are not seeing the H in circle with parenthesis (see image) when you stop then it must not be hill hold causing your issue. I would definitely take it in if that is the case.

20190403_142708.jpg